Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Other Cities
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2014, 08:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Body and Paint shop - Mercury Cars, Cochin

I have taken the Swift for bumper painting at Mercury Cars and they did a splendid job. The rates are fixed and reasonable. Mrs. Rahmath is very professional and you can take their word on quality of work and timelines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275BHP View Post
Just took delivery of my "new" 7 year old innova from Mercury Cars today. Let me try my best to contain my excitement and write a to the point review of this SUPERB workshop.
Thanks for sharing the experience with us. Do share some before and after pictures if possible.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 17:05   #17
BHPian

' Pathetic' would be an understatement for this place. I'm sure I could do a better DIY job than this.
After reading good reviews on here about this place I went to Cochin just to get the job done. A small dent and few scratches on the rear wheel arch and on the door handle. Mrs. Rahmath said it can be done in a day and I was impressed when I got a call around 4 pm to pick up the car.
I literally cried when I saw the work. The panel was rough to touch. No wet sanding done. No polishing. Nothing. The door handle was pathetic.and they call me saying that the work is done and complete! I was promised that the paint used would be Dupont and that there would not be any color matching issue. I got talking to the painter who did the job and i understood that its some other brand of paint which was used on the car. When i asked her towards the end as to what paint was used, she said 'dupont' ! When i asked her why the work is so shoddy even after repeatedly telling her that im very finicky with the finish and she says this is how it is !
If people on here think this is professionalism then my lips are sealed ! If all you care about is just to get a coat of paint on the car then go to this place, or else stay really really far away !!

There's a saying in Malayalam . ' Velukkan thechathu pandayi' . Exactly what it is ! Now il have to find a proper garage to get it fixed. Time and money wasted !

I will attach a pic of the handle. And this pic was taken after taking it to my detalier. They din't want to sand it as they were worried that the paint might chip off.
Attached Thumbnails
Body and Paint shop - Mercury Cars, Cochin-img_5772.jpg  

me_navin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 17:23   #18
Team-BHP Support

Ouch! That looks bad.

Going by the reviews posted before in the thread, I was planning a visit to this place next week (after arriving at Pkd) to get some minor scratches touched up and the whole car waxed but your experience begs to give it a second thought now. More so because the owner mentioned this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_navin View Post
When i asked her why the work is so shoddy even after repeatedly telling her that im very finicky with the finish and she says this is how it is !
Is there a mismatch in the paint shade as well?
Old 4th September 2014, 09:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Ouch! That looks bad.

Is there a mismatch in the paint shade as well?

There is a slight color difference, but mayb I can live with that. But the issue is that the paint looks shrunk and nothing can really be done other than repaint it. The other day I filled up petrol and I think a drop accidentally dripped down. The very same evening I tried cleaning it and it wouldn't come off. Body and Paint shop - Mercury Cars, Cochin-imageuploadedbyteambhp1409802047.189989.jpg

Anyway now I'm in search for a place where they would actually do a good job even if they are expensive and take more time.
me_navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2015, 21:55   #20
BANNED

Went to Mercury last month for a fixing a scratch on the rear bumper. I felt the quality of work has gone down a little bit when compared to the last year.

The body polishing was not upto the mark with lots of hairline scratches intact. Also I felt that the work was done in a haste although I never requested them.

I won't say that they are bad and I would go there again.

My rating: 4/5
Old 28th February 2017, 11:14   #21
BHPian

Bumping up this old thread for the benefit of all bhpians here.

Our 7 year old Maruti Ritz went in for a touch up and paint job along with minor dent removal here around last week of December 2016 after reading up so many good experiences people have had there. The whole bonnet along with all door edges, RR fender, small paint chips and scratches on the front and rear bumpers had to be done up.

On second visit they sorted out most of the issues including extremely poor work on the door edges and bumper. There is still dust trapped inside the paint surface on the hood. The surface around the C pillar was too rough to touch as well. This is possibly paint spray from the vehicle parked close by inside their garage. Anyways I decided to pay 7000 INR which was not bad after all and move on. The exterior package I opted from 3M Car Care Cochin post painting sorted out most of the issues and once again brought back that new car feel. Fortunately, they did a neat job with detailing. Suffice to say that I was pretty happy after this.

The quality of work at Mercury has gone down considerably over the past couple of years. There are no doubts about this. And I would definitely think twice before taking my car there once again. Why ? My next post will answer that.

Post Power shine treatment at 3M :
Attached Thumbnails
Body and Paint shop - Mercury Cars, Cochin-20170122_15211001.jpg  

Body and Paint shop - Mercury Cars, Cochin-20170121_17442701.jpg  

Old 28th February 2017, 11:25   #22
BHPian

Upon my insistence and also fellow bhpian and close friend rajoy123, our friend who is also a bhpian with handle sree83 took his recently acquired pre owned 2013 Ford Figo Titanium TDCi which was in pristine condition except for some minor dents and paint chips in some places to Mercury Cars. For the want of a better word, the work done was PATHETIC. Attaching a pic of one of the door edges they 'painted'. All edges have been done up in the same manner.
Attached Thumbnails
Body and Paint shop - Mercury Cars, Cochin-img20170225wa0012.jpeg  

Last edited by aswin ajith : 28th February 2017 at 11:40.
aswin ajith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 11:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin ajith View Post
Upon my insistence and also fellow bhpian and close friend rajoy123, our friend who is also a bhpian with handle sree83 took his recently acquired pre owned 2013 Ford Figo Titanium TDCi which was in pristine condition except for some minor dents and paint chips in some places to Mercury Cars. For the want of a better word, the work done was PATHETIC. Attaching a pic of one of the door edges they 'painted'. All edges have been done up in the same manner.
We were sincerely surprised at the unconcerned attitude of the painter, when the defects were pointed out.

Body and Paint shop - Mercury Cars, Cochin-1.jpeg
(Paint flowing down, plus the spray)

The workshop owner was trying her best to provide an acceptable solution, but since this wasnt the first time we returned to give a feedback, we declined to handover the car again.

Body and Paint shop - Mercury Cars, Cochin-2.jpeg
(Bonnet area: freshly painted panel kept in dusty environment, plus some random design, that is visible on the right-corner of the image.)

Sorry for the poor quality pictures, but we were so disheartened to see the poor paint-job in person.

Careless attitude of the workers, along with no final inspection by the supervisor, will only tarnish the goodwill that they have earned over the years.
rajoy123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 12:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajoy123 View Post

Careless attitude of the workers, along with no final inspection by the supervisor, will only tarnish the goodwill that they have earned over the years.
HMG..!! A can of com-paint and a primary school kid can do that kind of job. How can a body shop pass that kind of work to the customer?
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 16:56   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin ajith View Post
The exterior package I opted from 3M Car Care Cochin post painting sorted out most of the issues and once again brought back that new car feel. Fortunately, they did a neat job with detailing. Suffice to say that I was pretty happy after this.

Post Power shine treatment at 3M :
How much did they charge at 3M?
Old 4th June 2017, 21:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
How much did they charge at 3M?
I opted for the exterior package consisting of 3 treatments including powershine and some foam wash coupons too. The total came to about 10,500 INR including taxes. This is for one year. If you opt for powershine alone, I believe it is somewhere around 4500 INR including taxes. This is for the hatchback category.
aswin ajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2018, 17:29   #27
BANNED

Bumping up an old thread....

Any new alternatives has popped in Cochin for detailing/dent repairs?

(Recent phenomenon in Cochin, some of the detailing shops will not fix any dents, they will tell you to fix it from the outside and come back)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks