Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2024, 14:23   #76
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Common SCAMS Encountered on Indian Roads - A Compendium

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunaksaha2008 View Post
I left the area, parked the car a few hundred meters ahead, and remembered the Dashcam. I checked the video and found no red light was on!
How could someone forget that they had a dashcam at all? If it were me, I'd have quickly pointed out that there was no light to evade in the first place. Unfortunately, with no official challan issued, there's no way to get back the money either.

I thought nowadays all the challans have to be paid online. If you were truly confident you hadn't run the red light, you could have insisted on processing it online and later prove the malfunction with the dashcam footage to cancel it.

Respectfully, another lesson to be learned, in addition to installing a dash cam, is to remember that we have one and utilize it to provide evidence when necessary without getting anxious.
raptor_diwan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 14:25   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

I think I have heard of fines incurred for passing through a "red light" even when the light is failed and not showing. I can't see any logic at all to this.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 14:32   #78

Thank you Rehaan!

Your eagle eyes caught something I missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Not sure I'd call this a scam....
Seems like it's in a gray zone then, but the police instead of trying to fix the lights/control traffic flow, were busy in making money.

Quote:
Is the same normalized corruption that pays the 1000 without asking for a challan...
They had inserted my licence in the machine and sent a whatsapp message to someone claiming I would receive the paid challan online. I know it was stupid on my part to go away without a challan at the spot, but anxiety got better of me at the moment.
raunaksaha2008 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 14:36   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They had inserted my licence in the machine and sent a whatsapp message to someone claiming I would receive the paid challan online. I know it was stupid on my part to go away without a challan at the spot, but anxiety got better of me at the moment.
Fair enough in that case

I was going to suggest contesting it with the video footage as evidence of the red light not working (see this thread (My first experience with a Traffic Court - New Delhi))

However, I realise that you might have paid for "no seatbelt" instead.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 14:43   #80

Quote:
I was going to suggest contesting it with the video footage as evidence of the red light not working
There is no contesting it as I have no proof of payment. Sole purpose of this post was to share my experience and do better in similar situations unlike me.
raunaksaha2008 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 15:03   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Seems like it's in a gray zone then, but the police instead of trying to fix the lights/control traffic flow, were busy in making money.
My assumption is that they are fully aware of the malfunctioning light and are exploiting the situation to maximize the bribe income. They could simply fix the light, and until then, they should refrain from issuing challans when the fault lies with them, but.

ARTICLE: Common SCAMS Encountered on Indian Roads - A Compendium-8kja3w.jpg
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks