Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2013, 15:29   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Had I been cheated?

I think your apprehension is right. You have been cheated. Its strange that things like these are happening that too in a busy road like this and so openly. These guys have so much guts that they know in case that they may stop some police dept. / administration people and still get away with it?

BTW, thanks for sharing. Hope this matter comes in light and WB Govt can take these people to task.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 19:09   #47
BHPian

DRIFT Accessories - HSR Layout

DRIFT Accessories
NO-7, 14th MAIN,
5th SECTOR HSR LAYOUT, Bangalore, IN.

What do I like about this place ? NOTHING ! Went in to DRIFT to purchase a few items, asked for pricing for a 3M item to start with. The brat sitting behind the counter thought for a while...UMMM...errrr...ehehehe..then he tells me it costs INR 900. MRP sticker was torn off the item. Had no choice but to pay up and walk out as I needed it badly.

Later enquired with another shop that sells the same item and learnt that the same product costs only INR 200.

DRIFT Staff needs to be friendly and sane. The attitude screams "RIP-OFF" !
They really dont care unless you are there for a really big purchase like a set of 5 alloys or a complete ICE make over.
Old 28th June 2013, 23:16   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DRIFT Accessories - HSR Layout

What was the product you wanted? That too costing 900? If it was only worth 200 as what the other shop said, I wouldn't think it would look as expensive as 900 even if the shopkeeper says so. Its like asking unbelievable prices for small items. Please share more details.
Old 29th June 2013, 14:22   #49
BHPian

Re: DRIFT Accessories - HSR Layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
What was the product you wanted? That too costing 900? If it was only worth 200 as what the other shop said, I wouldn't think it would look as expensive as 900 even if the shopkeeper says so. Its like asking unbelievable prices for small items. Please share more details.
What I bought from there was the light-duty adhesive tape to seal a leak in a friends broken tail-lamp. I checked in a few places and the maximum quoted for the same was just INR300. You can search on Snapdeal and it will show the MRP as INR 300.

I had to purchase it and get back quickly as my friend was stuck in rain trying to keep his shattered tail-lamp from filling up with water.
Xryder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 11:27   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Common SCAMS Encountered on Indian Roads - A Compendium

What if the scams are done by the traffic police itself?

It's 'rakshabandhan' time and hence traffic cops are on a look out for prey. I was literally duped today morning while coming to office. 2 traffic cops were standing at a busy cross. I saw them and was pretty attentive to their signals. But just as I crossed them, he stopped the traffic behind me (after I crossed him). The other cop was standing at the other end of the circle and signalled me to stop. I stopped as I knew that I have not broken the signal. Then he immediately charged me for breaking the signal. I knew that it was worthless arguing with these 2 guys. The funny thing is that these 2 cops left all the traffic on their own (since they had had their prey- Me!) and started charging me, asking for papers. I showed them the papers but then again they became adamant that I had broken the signal. They asked for Rs. 1000/- as 'legal' fine. & then offered me a 'chota' fine of Rs. 200/-; of course illegal. I bribed them Rs. 100/- to get out from this mess and I was already getting late for the office
Reminds me a song of Dire Straits: Money for nothing! These guys have stooped so low. The thing is that they are working hand in hand with auto rickshaw drivers. They took me to auto stand which was adjacent to the cross and autos were parked in a way that made for a perfect isolated spot for such negotiations.
I could not do anything knowing pretty well that I am being duped as its festive time. That is the state of the cops (or better to call them agents).
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 12:29   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2013/aug...now-pay-up.htm
Quote:
A gang of beggars has reverted to an old tactic to extract dough from you. They’ll get their young ones to lie down under your car at a signal and scream murder till you shell out what they ask for. And you’re a preferred target if you’re a woman.

That’s what happened to an actress known for TV serials and supporting roles in Bollywood.
Himani Shivpuri has approached Santacruz police after some beggars hounded her on early Saturday morning. They stopped her car at a Santacruz (West) signal, shouting she had knocked their 10-year-old child and left him severely injured.

According to Himani, she was shocked when a beggar started knocking vehemently at her car window, demanding that she get down.
“They all gathered near my car and started fighting with me. I asked them what happened and they told me that I had hit a child. I don’t know how I could have knocked down a person since my car was stationary at the signal. Still I thought something serious might have happened, and not wanting to take chances, I took the boy to Asha Parekh Hospital.”
Something fishy
At the hospital, the doctors told her that a CT scan and X-ray needed to be taken without which they couldn’t begin investigating the injuries.
Witnesses said the boy kept screaming but no injury marks could be seen on his body.
“I immediately admitted the boy at the hospital after depositing Rs 5,000. But later the beggars approached the Santacruz police station and started shouting against me. That is when I suspected that they were creating a scene for no reason since I hadn’t given them money,” she said. “This is a gang which is targeting women drivers.”
Himani said, “At the police station, I submitted my licence since I was getting late for work and asked them to call me later. But I want the beggars to be investigated. I approached the police station but many do not have the time and are forced to simply pay up.”
She added, “I came to know from my colleague that these beggars also duped a friend of hers recently by adopting the same modus operandi.”
Santacruz police officers said, “We are crosschecking the allegations made by Himani against the beggars and are investigating the case.”
Latest menace to women motorists
Around 8-10 beggars in the city have formed a gang that targets women drivers. They stop their cars at signals and quickly send their kids to lie down below the car after diverting the driver’s attention. Soon after, they start wailing that the driver has knocked down their child and left him or her severely injured.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 18:00   #52
BHPian

Re: Pajero Sport Automatic coming in 2014-2015

I recently purchased a Pajero Sport Anniversary Edition from Asian Motors, Moti Nagar, Delhi. I decided to buy the car as it ticks almost all the requirements that I had which were 4x4, 7 seater, uncommon etc.

However, the buying experience left a very sour taste. The dealer had promised that they will deliver the car at my home but at last minute I was asked to pick up the car from the showroom. Since I had to rush back to office, I signed all the papers without even checking and took the delivery. Later I found that the First Aid kit was missing. I don't even know what other things were supposed to be there as the dealer never went through the check list with me.

The sales person was the only contact I had and owner of the dealership although present in the showroom did not even bother to say Hi. And now I know why. It was because he wanted to cheat me and hence could not make eye contact with me.

I was offered a 1.25 lakhs discount on the car because of which I decided to but it from Asian rather than Excel. I wanted to to buy a Zero Depreciation Insurance Cover which also included Consumables, Tyres and Keys. I had got a quote of Rs.52000 from the market for the same. The sales person Aasif Siddique called Arshad Jamal (President of Asian Motors) from my office in front of me and he promised that they will match the market price. Based on that promise, I issued a cheque of Rs.52000 which they promptly encashed.

At the time of delivery, I was shocked to see that the policy issued to me was a basic zero depreciation policy without any additional cover. On inquiring, I was told that the endorsement for the additional covers will come in a day or two. I kept following up for 6 days but nothing happened. I finally wrote to Hindustan Motors and they assigned Vikrant Bhatia as the person to handle the complaint.

To my complete shock and dismay, Mr. Vikrant Bhatia told me that the policy offered to me was under the free insurance scheme and hence they could not change that. What is surprising is that he told me that the payment of 52000 that I made was towards the On Road price of the car which was a White Lie as the Invoice value of 2.25 lakhs after deducting the 1.25 lakhs discount has been paid in full and I have the tax invoice to prove the same.

I obviously intend to drag them to the Consumer Court for this breach of trust and clear case of fraud but want everyone to beware of Asian Motors and especially Arshad Jamal who is the President of Asian Motors, Moti Nagar, Delhi.
ajit_72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 20:37   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajit_72 View Post

To my complete shock and dismay, Mr. Vikrant Bhatia told me that the policy offered to me was under the free insurance scheme and hence they could not change that. What is surprising is that he told me that the payment of 52000 that I made was towards the On Road price of the car which was a White Lie as the Invoice value of 2.25 lakhs after deducting the 1.25 lakhs discount has been paid in full and I have the tax invoice to prove the same.

I obviously intend to drag them to the Consumer Court for this breach of trust and clear case of fraud but want everyone to beware of Asian Motors and especially Arshad Jamal who is the President of Asian Motors, Moti Nagar, Delhi.
This is absolute mockery of trust and trade rules. Please see to it that the case is taken to the highest levels and dealt with seriously. Please do not think its just 52000 and leave it. Dealers like the one above should be dealt with.
Old 29th June 2014, 19:38   #54
BHPian

Recently I was in Delhi for 3 weeks, driving three borrowed cars from a close friend. I am very wary of Delhi and generally ask around for travel, safety tips,scams etc. Here is a short narration of a harrowing incident from a friend who lives in South Delhi about an incident that happened in November 2012.

This friend is married and his in-laws live in Noida. One Saturday evening he drives his 1 year old SX4 to Noida to see in-laws, drops of his wife and two kids and goes out to buy some food. While doing so he stops by the footpath to answer a call and has his hazard indicators on. A guy taps his glass asking for something (like directions) and my friend lowers his window to 1/3. As soon as there is a gap, the stranger yanks his hand in, pull out the ignition expertly and unlocks the door - whereupon 3 other thugs barge into the car, manhandle my friend and start driving, all this while my friend is getting a small bashing on the front co-passenger's seat. While driving, a thug in the back who is free starts calling an associate/boss to enter negotiations to sell the car quoting prices in range of 1-2 lakhs. Unfortunately for the thugs, there was some diversion in the road and they ended up at Noida toll checkpoint on the bridge where many cops were around. My friend had the presence of mind to see this and offered to keep quiet if the thugs would leave else threatened to make a ruckus which would surely be spotted by the cops. The thugs understood, bashed him again and fled with his mobile, wallet, papers, etc.

The ordeal did not end there. My friend went to the nearest DP P.S. in this sorry state (clothes crumpled, injuries on face, etc.) but the Delhi Police refused to lodge an FIR stating that it occurred under the jurisdiction of UP Police (Noida). Poor guy went to the nearest Noida P.S. where also the officer refused to lodge an FIR saying that since he and car were ok, no crime was committed !??? Even the fact that he's a lawyer (although non-practicing) did not help.

Anyway, he tried again the next day but still no luck so he gave up. I believe his wife's dad is a retired UP cadre IAS officer and despite this 'connection' nothing happened and to this date no complaint was accepted or recorded.

Some points to be mindful of (as told to me by the victim)

(1) Try to avoid driving alone after dark in Noida, Gurgaon and some parts of Dwarka. There are long stretches on roads with little traffic, no cops and no pedestrians.

(2) Keep windows rolled up and don't ever open the window for any reason when stationary.

(3) Always keep an eye on the ignition key since if it is pulled out the car cannot start. Remember that these thugs are trained to twist the key fast even for cars where the ignition key removal needs a backward anti-clockwise twist to starting position.

(4) Screaming/Yelling for help is no guarantee (apparently he did this when the thugs were entering) but although there were some people around nothing happened (thugs probably knew this)

(5) Be prepared for an apathetic police response and have telephone numbers / addresses of senior officials handy for escalation if needed. Have a medical checkup done ASAP so there is corroboration if it ever becomes a legal issue.

Needless to say, after hearing this my self-confidence took a beating. In the first few days I used to drive around Delhi with a detailed road map, often stopping to figure out my location. After hearing this I got extremely cautious and restricted my late-night driving. If this is not scary I don't know what is!
Kumar R is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 21:58   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajit_72 View Post
Any updates on this issue yet? Did they resolve it or have you taken them to court?
Old 8th February 2015, 12:04   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Another new scam comes to light:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Looks like there is a new scam by all dealerships across the country. They try to force you to go for AC disinfectant. The price can range from 700 bucks to 1200 bucks depending on the car.

Initially when I gave my Altis they told me it is AC cleaning. I though at 55K kms and 6 years this meant cleaning the condenser coil and the AC vents. Turns out that it's a bottle that they just spray in the AC vents. I was charged 900 bucks for this. The smell from the AC vent changed for a few weeks and then it was back to normal. Still getting the stale smell now after less than a month.

Then a colleague of mine gave his 2 year old Ertiga and was charged Rs.700 for AC disinfectant. He was told it would improve cooling!!!

Recently I read iliketurtles ownership review for his Jetta in Mumbai and they charged Rs.1,100!! for AC disinfectant.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post3640482

Seeing all 3 it's pretty clear that this a new way to get money during service visit and is now followed across the country.

The AC disinfectant is nothing but this spray bottle:

http://solutions.3mindia.co.in/wps/p...ctant+Foam+++/

You can get it from 3M stores or go to a 3M store and have it done for lot lesser. The entire bottle that can be used multiple times is lesser than the dealership doing it once.

Alternately there's a much cheaper method to disinfecting your AC vents. Just turn the AC on to max heat for 4-5 mins once every few months. This reduces the mould formation.

More details in this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...n-hvac-13.html

So next time you drop your car off for service do not opt for this disinfectant scam!! It'll save you a cool grand off your service bill.