Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2009, 14:43   #316
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Well, I intend to drive with a heavy foot until the fuel prices go up.
With petrol prices up by Rs. 4 per litre, guess, its back to sedate driving now, eh?
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:12   #317
Senior - BHPian

This is what am doing with my LINEA as an experiment for 2-3 weeks to see max mileage and the result is my car in delhi traffic (Linea 1.4 petrol) has delivered max FE till now of 12.20 in city with AC on. I find it too good as some 1.2 i10 owners get less FE than me

1. Have reduced my gearshifts RPM limit from 3000 to 2500, i know its very tough for me to hold but just a matter of few weeks to see how much i can reduce fuel consumption.

2. As soon as cabin gets cool i switch off the ACC (24 degress) using compressore button (only in evenings and not afternoon with 45 degrees) , i know its stupid as ACC is there not to be fiddled with but am ok with a little less cool air for 1 min and it gives me immense joy when i get 12 + fe in a petrol Linea.

3. Not doing sudden gear changes to 2nd from 3rd to get that intiitial pickup from the car. My car never knocks even if i touch 25-30 km/h in 5th gear.

So 3000 kms will be completed, car will be run in nicely and after that i will again start flooring accelerator. With 4 re hike i must use above 3 steps to reduce fuel bills.
All 3 steps looked silly to me but when FE increased from 10.5-11 to 12.2 i say heck who cares.
Old 3rd July 2009, 18:19   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjyamaj View Post
So you really dont have to have a maximum idle time of 2 minutes. My guess is that 10-15 secs should be enough to turn off your engine and restart again.
What if the vehicle has a turbo engine and the driver is to switch off for 10-15 seconds at the red light. He has to idle for one minute before switching off and after starting! What will be his fate?
Old 4th July 2009, 11:07   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
What if the vehicle has a turbo engine and the driver is to switch off for 10-15 seconds at the red light. He has to idle for one minute before switching off and after starting! What will be his fate?
Ah well, diesel is cheaper than petrol isnt it?

And isnt it an established rule that what you gain in performance, you lose in efficiency?
Old 4th July 2009, 11:57   #320
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
My car never knocks even if i touch 25-30 km/h in 5th gear.
coolboy007,

This is not a good way to increase your FE. Lugging your engine (5'th gear at 25-30 kmph), puts immense amounts of strain on your engine and driveshaft. What you save in terms of fuel, you will loose in terms of damage to your engine.

A simple way to understand the stresses on your engine, would be to start pedalling a bicycle in a high gear on a flat road or gradient. You will have to use immense power of your muscles to get the bike moving than if you were to start pedalling on a low gear like gear 1.

Your car's manual will have recommended shift speeds mentioned and it is best you stick to that to achieve optimum FE.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 4th July 2009, 13:43   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
coolboy007,

This is not a good way to increase your FE. Lugging your engine (5'th gear at 25-30 kmph), puts immense amounts of strain on your engine and driveshaft.
Thanks for your concern. I am sorry if i didnt explain properly, this was just a test to see how much can my car go in 5th gear without knocking and later came to know that its a robotised fire engine and it wont knock

If i go till 25 -30 in 5th gear and i press the accl pedal fully the car doesnt even budge, its a petrol Linea and have to make quick shifts to pick up.
If i move in 25-30 in 5th gear and then expect pick up from my car, it will take ages and delhi people will kill me.

Anyways, Linea's manual hasnt mentioned anything regarding Desired gear and relative speeds. Strange but true.
I use 5th gear as soon as i hit 45-50 when am in a sedate driving mood, my car doesnt complaint and i hope i am not killing my engine if i use 5th at 45-50 km/h.
Old 4th July 2009, 13:55   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjyamaj View Post
Ah well, diesel is cheaper than petrol isnt it?

And isnt it an established rule that what you gain in performance, you lose in efficiency?
What I wanted to highlight was the need to idle for one minute after starting and before switching off, that too at a signal where vehicles are waiting in front of and behind you.
Old 4th July 2009, 21:55   #323
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Anyways, Linea's manual hasnt mentioned anything regarding Desired gear and relative speeds. Strange but true.
I use 5th gear as soon as i hit 45-50 when am in a sedate driving mood, my car doesnt complaint and i hope i am not killing my engine if i use 5th at 45-50 km/h.
coolboy007,

It is very strange indeed that your manual doesn't mention shift speeds/rpms. Shifting to 5'th gear at 45-50 kmph is fine and will have no adverse affects on your engine.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 4th July 2009, 23:54   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
With petrol prices up by Rs. 4 per litre, guess, its back to sedate driving now, eh?
Actually I figured that ever since quit smoking, I'm saving about Rs. 2k a month anyway, so it continues to be pedal to metal!
Old 5th July 2009, 20:20   #325
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Actually I figured that ever since quit smoking, I'm saving about Rs. 2k a month anyway, so it continues to be pedal to metal!
This is just brilliant!
Old 14th July 2009, 22:37   #326
BHPian

There is some "play" with my clutch pedal (I don't know how else to word that) and I have the habit of keeping my foot on the pedal even when not changing gears. I was under the impression that this does not actually cause the clutch to 'engage'. Please do let me know if I am wrong. I find it a little to take the foot off and put it back on the clutch in the heavy bumper to bumper traffic in B'lore, but I will change my driving style if it is in the interest of FE
Old 15th July 2009, 01:33   #327
Senior - BHPian

You need to change your driving style for the sake of your clutch before FE. Placing your foot on the clutch while driving will cause the clutch to start slipping and cause premature wear and low FE.
Old 15th July 2009, 07:47   #328
BHPian

Thank you ImmortalZ. I will ensure that my foot is not parked on the clutch unless I am changing gears.
Old 25th July 2009, 23:54   #329
BHPian

About FE once again

Hello all,

I agree that a lot have been discussed about fuel efficiency. I would, however, like Gurus in this forum to clarify this:

(1) Is there an accurate method to measure fuel consumption in ordinary cars (I mean relatively inexpensive cars) other than fill-to-fill. ("fill" varies from fill to fill, because of air space in tanks).

In old carb days, it was easy to attach a tube to fuel pump inlet and run from a bottle of measured quantity of fuel ( for an occasional test, at least).

(2) Will there be any adverse effects in running the car till tank is empty and engine stops? I mean, is "empty to empty" a more accurate method? (accepting the associated inconveniences, of course)

Thanks for any possible inputs.

Prasad.
Old 26th July 2009, 06:50   #330
BHPian

Empty to Empty is not a more accurate method. Besides I am quite sure that its not good news for your fuel pump which is desperately trying to pump vapours.

The fill will not vary because you are supposed to use the auto-cutoff on the pump. This will remain the same (at the same pump, same temperature etc). Try to fill up again on the same day or the next and in similar weather. Speaking of which, there is an interesting thread here which claims that temperature may be responsible for differing fuel efficiency , in which case your experiment may need to be repeated every few months for a year

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks