Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2018, 16:33   #721
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledavy View Post
Can you give me more idea on what you mean triggering upshift with throttle inputs. I generally step on the accelator and don't take it out, when I am 70-80 km range.
If you gain some speed and then ease of the accelerator your car upshifts.
Upshifts are always programmed in a rainge, and not at a particular speed, as long as you are above the lowest speed in the range for the upshift the car will upshift when you ease off, if you press firmly you will get a downshift too.

My ecosport with dual clutch shifts from 5 to 6 at 80, but does'nt shift down to 5th until I come to 60, If I touch the throttle again a gentle touch keeps it in 6th a slightly firmer touch triggers a down shift to 5th, but if I floor, it is a noticable 6 to 3 downshift and I can rev to the redline.
For 4 to 5 shift, if I've more than lightly touched the throttle it is at 60, but if I ease off any where beyond 45 the upshift is triggered, I usually trigger it at 50.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 17:18   #722
BHPian

This is how you get good FE on a Fiat Punto Evo 1.4 FIRE.

(the cam was mounted safely, no stunts were performed)

ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency-img_20180303_07495302.jpeg
Old 7th March 2018, 17:29   #723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Upshifts are always programmed in a rainge, and not at a particular speed, as long as you are above the lowest speed in the range for the upshift the car will upshift when you ease off, if you press firmly you will get a downshift too.

My ecosport with dual clutch shifts from 5 to 6 at 80, but does'nt shift down to 5th until I come to 60, If I touch the throttle again a gentle touch keeps it in 6th a slightly firmer touch triggers a down shift to 5th, but if I floor, it is a noticable 6 to 3 downshift and I can rev to the redline.
For 4 to 5 shift, if I've more than lightly touched the throttle it is at 60, but if I ease off any where beyond 45 the upshift is triggered, I usually trigger it at 50.

Rahul
Learnt something new today. Going to practice it. Many thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.
uncledavy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 15:19   #724
BHPian

I bought a new S-Cross 1.3 Zeta last month. The car has done 2100 KMS and it has been a great experience till now. Just that the mileage is very low as compared to company claim. I drive 80% on highway with AC on all the times an at controlled speed (100 KMPH constant). I have heard that the cars initially give poor mileage. Can anyone tell me that by when will the mileage start normalising?
The company claims a mileage of 24 while I am getting maximum 17 KMPL. And this is calculated manually separately in the last 3 fuel tank refills from zero to full.
Old 14th April 2018, 12:13   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post

Rahul
Rightly said. Intuitively, i have been following the same, though the Octy i drive now is my first automatic. Getting very good fuel efficiency between 18-19 kmpl overall (70% highway and 30% city). Quiet surprised when i got this kind of mileage for a big vehicle, which is also the claimed mileage by Skoda. Easing on throttle definitely helps, irrespective of the speed as the ECU calculates the best gear to get the best mileage for the detected load, unless until one is flooring the pedal.

On the daily return from office, i have even managed a surprising 22-23 kmpl for the entire journey including a toll cross (gurgaon).

ARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency-20170522_214010.jpgARTICLE: How to get the maximum Fuel Efficiency-20180405_220136.jpg
Old 4th September 2019, 15:15   #726
BHPian

AC temperature set for optimum mileage

Normally I set the AC at max with the fan speed at one or two. A friend of mine suggested that I should keep the AC at a less than max cold ( I have the manual knob in my honda brio). This will help me get better mileage than normal.

As far as I know, setting up any temperature less than maximum cold in AC still puts the compressor to its full use. Its only the warm air added to the full ac which makes the air less cold. Is it so? Or my friend is right? Can someone explain how keeping the AC at full cold or setting a temperature (for cars having automatic AC and for the ones with manual knobs) effects the mileage of a car?
Old 4th September 2019, 16:52   #727
Senior - BHPian

Re: AC temperature set for optimum mileage

For manual ACs, generally the knob acts like a thermostat.

If the knob is at Full AC, thermostat will rarely kick in.

If the knob is at low AC, the thermostat will kick in & kick out frequently, and the compressor cuts out & comes back on when again temperature is warm.
Old 4th September 2019, 18:03   #728
BHPian

I have never noticed any drastic change in my mileage with or without AC. In winters when the AC is completely off and in summers full AC. I use tank full to tank full method to calculate fuel mileage.
nishp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 20:15   #729
BHPian

I had heard this from a driver, that you should always keep the temp at max cold or max hot. Else, he said, both AC and heater are run. My car back then qas Wagon R, and it didn't have instant FE meter.

In Ecosport, I checked the impact of AC on instantaneous fuel consumption. Result:
1. Setting temp = outside temp gave the best FE. Making it colder or warmer increased fuel consumption.
2. Blower speed impacts consumption.
Old 4th September 2019, 20:26   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
2. Blower speed impacts consumption.
How would blower speed impact FE? Is it a specific observation you made for your vehicle or is there a scientific explanation that you may cite, please?
Old 4th September 2019, 20:55   #731
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
How would blower speed impact FE? Is it a specific observation you made for your vehicle or is there a scientific explanation that you may cite, please?
Higher speed of blower = more current = more load on alternator = more load on engine = less FE.

Though differences like these are usually negligible unless the sole purpose of driving is to get from A to B at a minimal cost.

That said, @OP, I'd suggest you leave the AC in a comfortable setting and drive without fatigue.

Last edited by dhanushs : 4th September 2019 at 20:57.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 12:17   #732
BHPian

I track my Ameo DSG's FE with the help of Drivvo android app.

With just 7800 Kms on the Odometer with 70-30 City- Highway drives, here are the numbers:

Lower: 15.35 km/l
Highest: 19.68 km/l
Average: 17.47 km/l

I have observed that the FE on my Ameo depends on:

1. Tyre pressure
2. Number of people on board
3. Traffic conditions
4. How I drive
5. Road conditions

Unfortunately in Mumbai, one cannot be always smart with their choice of when and where to take the car out

Last edited by VWAllstar : 26th September 2019 at 12:18.
Old 30th January 2020, 07:45   #733
BHPian

Ertiga Low Mileage Issue

My ertiga has crossed 1L km recently and i am observing a drop in mileage these days. The running pattern also has changed, now I have to go through quite heavy traffic. But even in this case, how low the fuel efficiency can drop? I am seeing 10Km/l and sometimes even lower. I am checking by tank full method using an app. What are the check points for identifying the root cause? Our running is typically 15-20 km one way. Totally about 40-45km per day. Workshop guys are clueless, they are showing good mileage using the dashboard reading. Dash shows are mileage of 15.3Km/l

Can any one please help?
guruji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 08:09   #734
BHPian

Re: Ertiga Low Mileage Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
My ertiga has crossed 1L km recently and i am observing a drop in mileage these days. The running pattern also has changed, now I have to go through quite heavy traffic. But even in this case, how low the fuel efficiency can drop? I am seeing 10Km/l and sometimes even lower. I am checking by tank full method using an app. What are the check points for identifying the root cause? Our running is typically 15-20 km one way. Totally about 40-45km per day. Workshop guys are clueless, they are showing good mileage using the dashboard reading. Dash shows are mileage of 15.3Km/l

Can any one please help?
I think the answer lies in your question. Bangalore traffic is the worst and I've seen my mileage drop to 6-7km/l. Then again there are multiple factors like:
1.What transmission does your Ertiga have?
2. When was the last time it was serviced?
3. Check your air filter and spark plugs
I don't think 10km/l is quite bad. I get 9-11km/l on my Automatic Amaze in traffic.
One suggestion I have is try some Injector cleaner and go for a spirited drive on the highway. It worked on my car.
Cheers
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 08:37   #735
BHPian

Re: Ertiga Low Mileage Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
My ertiga has crossed 1L km recently and i am observing a drop in mileage these days. The running pattern also has changed, now I have to go through quite heavy traffic. But even in this case, how low the fuel efficiency can drop? I am seeing 10Km/l and sometimes even lower. I am checking by tank full method using an app. What are the check points for identifying the root cause? Our running is typically 15-20 km one way.
Can you please indicate what is the fuel type used on your car? Any indication of the service history? Any recent major work on the car?

You do indicate that the running pattern has changed and you need to go through heavy traffic (assume was not the case earlier, i.e. Highway type roads most of the time). In my experience, heavy traffic does take its toll on the mileage.

My Swift VDi, 2008 run mostly on smooth traffic free roads for most of its life showed a consistent 18-19 kmpl, however as soon as it was left to do school runs in Mumbai traffic the mileage dropped to 9-10 kmpl. On taking it back out on open roads, the mileage went back to 18 kmpl.

Similar for Honda City iVtec, 6 kmpl for school runs and 15 kmpl for spirited highway runs.

PS: This is all tankful to tankful. No MIDs in 2008 model...
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks