Team-BHP - ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On owning a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/73489-article-how-protect-your-car-theft-9.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dippy (Post 1678812)
  • Number etching : Etch the registration number of your car on the glass areas and a few other secret spots that only you know about. Etched registration numbers on windows are a deterrent to thieves (potential problem at "naka bandi"). Plus, this step will help you / the Police identify your car if & when it is recovered.

I had a query regarding this. I am getting this service at a cost of Rs. 35 per glass. I plan to get the Engine No, Chassis No and Registration No etched on all the glasses.

When I decide to sell my car at a later date, will this not be a problem (the registration number etched on the glasses), if the owner has to get a new registration number (assuming he takes it to another city/state)? And getting only the chassis no and engine no etched may not serve the purpose completely.

-Biju

Finally, after having so much of discussion on anti-theft measures, be aware that thieves may also be reading this sectionlol:

Nowadays, thieves are also internet savvy.

I was surprised to see several members giving out their VIN numbers at a different section.
Don't you think that could be a security loop-hole?

Nitin.

Hi All ,

Just received this in an e-mail so thought of sharing it with everyone here

Warning..!!!!

Just last weekend on Friday night we parked in a public car park. As we drove away I noticed a sticker on the rear window of the car. When I took it off (after I got home), it was a receipt for petrol. Luckily my friend had told me not to stop, as it could be someone waiting for me to get out of the car. Then we received this email yesterday.

WARNING FROM POLICE
THIS APPLIES TO BOTH WOMEN AND MEN
BEWARE OF PAPER ON THE BACK WINDOW OF YOUR VEHICLE.
NEW WAY TO DO CAR-JACKINGS. (NOT A JOKE).

Heads up everyone! Please keep this circulating. You walk across the car park, unlock your car and get inside. You start the engine and put it into Reverse.

When you look into the rear-view mirror to back out of your space, you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear screen. So you stop, and jump out of your car to remove that paper (or whatever it is), because it is obstructing your view. Then when you reach the back of your car, is when the car-jackers appear out of nowhere. They jump in and take off. They practically run you over as they speed off.

And guess what, ladies? I bet your purse is still in the car. So now the car-jacker has your car, your home address, your money, and your keys. Your home and your whole identity are compromised!

BEWARE OF THIS NEW SCHEME THAT IS NOW BEING USED.

If you see a piece of paper stuck to the back window, lock your doors and just drive away. Remove the paper later. And be thankful that you read this e-mail. I hope you will forward this to friends and family, especially to women. A purse contains all kinds of personal information and identification documents, and you certainly do NOT want this to fall into the wrong hands.

Please follow and tell others :

If you are driving at night and were attacked with eggs on your car's windshield, do not operate your wiper or spray any water. Eggs mixed with water become milky and block your vision up to 92.5 %. You are forced to stop at road side and become victim of robbery. This is new technique used by robbers. Take care and Safe Driving

Please share with whom you care.-

what an idea! Looks like these car thieves spend lots of time on research :)

I agree , specially the egg part is very innovative and strategic. We need to be careful.

Guys, this is already discussed in the following thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...r-theft-9.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjbiju (Post 1781196)
I had a query regarding this. I am getting this service at a cost of Rs. 35 per glass. I plan to get the Engine No, Chassis No and Registration No etched on all the glasses.

When I decide to sell my car at a later date, will this not be a problem (the registration number etched on the glasses), if the owner has to get a new registration number (assuming he takes it to another city/state)?

Valid point there, Pjbiju. If the buyer is from another state, then etched registration numbers will surely prove a deterrent. That said, we should go by the law of averages here. A majority of used car transactions take place between a buyer and seller from the same state.

Even if the buyer is from another city (example : Thane to Mumbai), the registration number does NOT change. It remains MH only.

This tip is similar to the hidden circuit switch, but using a reed switch sounds very interesting. Not sure if someone has done this already, if so, please comment.

Source: Instructables.com
1) You can do this by glueing a reed switch on the inside of your dashboard and having some velcrow on the other side of the dashboard.
2) Glue a magnet to the velcrow and you can stick your magnet to your dashboard activiting the switch.
3) Reed switches cannot conduct very high currents, so you'll have to connect a 12V car relay to it so you can switch larger currents.

The schematic shows how to connect it - showing a reed switch with an alternating contact here, this can be useful, although the relay usually also has an alternating contact. You can choose if you want the car to run with or without the magnet by choosing another contact on the reed switch or the relay.

-Rocky.
PS: I am not a electronics guy, hope someone can try this out.

Number Etching is a Good Idea. Even if sold to another state, showing copies of the sale forms, NOCs from Parent State, Police Verification Letter etc (Forms from RTO indicating Owner A has sold to Owner B for Amount C) will more than suffice at Routine Checks. Moreover, we could have the contact number of the person from whom we bought it and call them from there checkpost / mobiles.

O.T. : I have not seen any number etching facility in Chennai. If there are any, please point me to the same

My Dream Car Protection would be as below
  1. Immobiliser Protection or similar
  2. Remote Central Locking System with Motion Sensors (Basic features included)
  3. Security Wheel Nut
  4. Wheel clamps on all 4 wheels with no provision to unscrew the Car Wheel nuts
  5. One Chor Switch to control Battery Current
  6. One Chor switch to control the starter Motor
  7. Gear Lock
  8. Steering to Pedal Lock
  9. number etching on all 6 glasses
  10. HSRP with non removable number plate screws or the nearest one by Utsav.
I guess this would act as a visual deterrent to 99% of thieves unless your car is targeted like in "Gone in 60 seconds".

Comments please Guyz.

Central locking, remote locking, impact sensors, engine immobilizers: get them all. Your car security system should have all these features.

I have to park my car on the road, but fortunately there is a jewellery shop nearby with 24x7 armed security and the car is almost always in front of them. Also almost all the shops nearby know our family. I have been advised by many friends to park the car in a bylane where I won't have to keep changing the sides (on the main streets, the parking sides change on even/odd dates). But I have never dared do that.

Here in Oman, the number plate is revetted to the bumper. Hence a quick replacement of the number plate wont be possible by opportunistic thieves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scopriobharath (Post 1821068)
Number Etching is a Good Idea. Even if sold to another state, showing copies of the sale forms, NOCs from Parent State, Police Verification Letter etc (Forms from RTO indicating Owner A has sold to Owner B for Amount C) will more than suffice at Routine Checks. Moreover, we could have the contact number of the person from whom we bought it and call them from there checkpost / mobiles.

O.T. : I have not seen any number etching facility in Chennai. If there are any, please point me to the same

You should be able to get this done at any glass dealer (window glasses/mirrors etc.). They all provide etching services and should be able to get this done for you. You may have to bargain on the cost since they usually charge by the area of the whole glass.

You could also try it as a do-it-yourself activity. Pidilite (Fevicol) has glass etching kits which you can buy from any good stationery shop. You will need to create the stencil yourself.

-Biju

The other day I went to an accessories shop, where I enquired about car security products. The guy showed me two high-end systems. The lower-end model has a cellphone-like device which will alert you in case someone tries to forcefully enter your car, plus features such as remote ignition, remote AC etc. The top-end model has a feature that activates a device within the car so you can hear any conversation going on in the car. He said the system was installed in one of his friends' vehicle and when the vehicle was in B'lore, he was able to hear the conversation within the vehicle very clearly.

^^ Yup, I was recently offered this option by Autocop. Cost is about 16K. Not only can you have a two-way convo with the car's occupants (when you are away), and receive SMS alerts in case of intrusion, but it also has a GPS tracking system. If the car is stolen, you can verify its location online.