Team-BHP - ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On owning a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/73489-article-how-protect-your-car-theft-11.html)

When my father bought his first car, Maruti Omni, we used to employ this method. Chain the car to an electricity pole using a thick chain and a mean looking lock. Worked well for us :)

Where in Bangalore can one get the numbers etched on the window glass ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by subbarao (Post 1948893)
Hi,

Now a days Bengalooru traffic cops are using like this device to lock the cars those parked in NO parking area.

having that on one wheel might not be a deterant, what if the crook has time to replace that with the spare and drive away. :)

Hi all, I wonder if there are any car tracking services available for individual car owners. That way one can register for this service and in the event of theft of the vehicle, you would know where the vehicle is. This information could make the police's job much easier. For fleet owners this is quite common. Do share your inputs. I for one would like to avail of such services. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caddy (Post 2056772)
Hi all, I wonder if there are any car tracking services available for individual car owners. That way one can register for this service and in the event of theft of the vehicle, you would know where the vehicle is. This information could make the police's job much easier. For fleet owners this is quite common. Do share your inputs. I for one would like to avail of such services. Thanks.

There is GPS based tracking. You place a GPS module in a car (in a secret location) and track that module by its unique id (this is possible and rental agencies in west do employ this). But if one takes a car underground (say in a basement parking) - this shall not work. But I do not think there is infrastructure in India to support this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caddy (Post 2056772)
Hi all, I wonder if there are any car tracking services available for individual car owners.

Sure is. Look up Raj's detailed review of the Microvbb black box. We've discussed the pros as well as cons of the product in that thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2058126)
Sure is. Look up Raj's detailed review of the Microvbb black box. We've discussed the pros as well as cons of the product in that thread.

Many thanks. This is most helpful.

Just adding some more info based on my findings on the topic. There are devices available in the open market that block/jam GPS and GSM signals. These simple devices when powered by your own car's 12V socket will make that expensive GPS device ineffective. I don't have any data on their effectiveness in jamming but they surely sound scary.
My opinion is that the physical deterrents are the best as long as you don't share the keys with anyone. The best options in terms of the cost are:

Gear Lock: 1300-1400
Sterring Lock: ~1500
Change door locks to a difference set from steering/ignition lock: cost varies by make/model

Guys, I park my car (Figo , petrol) on the road , in a well lit area, where another 3-4 cars are also parked. My car has an immobilizer. What is the best anti-theft system I should buy? Autocop, Motion Sensors, Steering loack, Gear Lock , etc? Please advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gharika (Post 2229164)
The best options in terms of the cost are:

Gear Lock: 1300-1400
Sterring Lock: ~1500
Change door locks to a difference set from steering/ignition lock: cost varies by make/model

Well, I would say the best options are:

- Safe (indoors) parking
- A security guard watching over
- Gear lock. If not, then steering -> pedal lock
- A solid security system

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snazzy (Post 2229779)
Guys, I park my car (Figo , petrol) on the road , in a well lit area, where another 3-4 cars are also parked. My car has an immobilizer. What is the best anti-theft system I should buy? Autocop, Motion Sensors, Steering loack, Gear Lock , etc? Please advice.

Dear Snazzy, it'll greatly benefit everyone if you spend some time reading through the article. Your questions are well covered. Thanks

Quote:

Well, I would say the best options are:

- Safe (indoors) parking
- A security guard watching over
- Gear lock. If not, then steering -> pedal lock
- A solid security system

Few days back, here in chennai thieves were looting the wheels out of cars. The jack was still intact but the wheels were gone. The only option to save oneself is by atleast getting the first two things done above.

@VW2010, yeah I did hear about such instances happening recently in chennai. I also read in the papers, though a long time back, about the rear windshields of cars been removed to gain entry into the car to steal the music systems, etc.

Wonder how can those be prevented, in case there is no safe parking spot or the car has to be parked outside of any building for a night or two?

Does anybody know of a Maruti Swift (Year 2009/10/11) being stolen without having access to either of the 2 OEM keys?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperSlick (Post 2232877)
Wonder how can those be prevented, in case there is no safe parking spot or the car has to be parked outside of any building for a night or two?

If I have to visit friends/relatives and stay overnight, I always find out beforehand whether I can park the car inside their premises. If the answer is negative, I will leave the car at home and take a call taxi!

@Gansan, what you have said is true, I would also make sure if the place I am going to visit for the first time is safe to park the car or not at first place. But I think people who had their wheels/music systems stolen would not have thought about that or did not expect it to happen at all !?

We never know which place is going to be safe, that's why we are talking about the safety equipments here :)