Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:51   #151
Team-BHP Support

When my father bought his first car, Maruti Omni, we used to employ this method. Chain the car to an electricity pole using a thick chain and a mean looking lock. Worked well for us
Old 3rd September 2010, 14:25   #152
BHPian

Number etching in Bangalore

Where in Bangalore can one get the numbers etched on the window glass ?
Old 3rd September 2010, 19:49   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarao View Post
Hi,

Now a days Bengalooru traffic cops are using like this device to lock the cars those parked in NO parking area.
having that on one wheel might not be a deterant, what if the crook has time to replace that with the spare and drive away.
Old 5th September 2010, 20:45   #154
BHPian

Car tracking services?

Hi all, I wonder if there are any car tracking services available for individual car owners. That way one can register for this service and in the event of theft of the vehicle, you would know where the vehicle is. This information could make the police's job much easier. For fleet owners this is quite common. Do share your inputs. I for one would like to avail of such services. Thanks.
Old 5th September 2010, 22:49   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Hi all, I wonder if there are any car tracking services available for individual car owners. That way one can register for this service and in the event of theft of the vehicle, you would know where the vehicle is. This information could make the police's job much easier. For fleet owners this is quite common. Do share your inputs. I for one would like to avail of such services. Thanks.
There is GPS based tracking. You place a GPS module in a car (in a secret location) and track that module by its unique id (this is possible and rental agencies in west do employ this). But if one takes a car underground (say in a basement parking) - this shall not work. But I do not think there is infrastructure in India to support this.
Old 6th September 2010, 16:40   #156
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Hi all, I wonder if there are any car tracking services available for individual car owners.
Sure is. Look up Raj's detailed review of the Microvbb black box. We've discussed the pros as well as cons of the product in that thread.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2010, 22:38   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sure is. Look up Raj's detailed review of the Microvbb black box. We've discussed the pros as well as cons of the product in that thread.
Many thanks. This is most helpful.
Old 1st February 2011, 19:34   #158
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT

Just adding some more info based on my findings on the topic. There are devices available in the open market that block/jam GPS and GSM signals. These simple devices when powered by your own car's 12V socket will make that expensive GPS device ineffective. I don't have any data on their effectiveness in jamming but they surely sound scary.
My opinion is that the physical deterrents are the best as long as you don't share the keys with anyone. The best options in terms of the cost are:

Gear Lock: 1300-1400
Sterring Lock: ~1500
Change door locks to a difference set from steering/ignition lock: cost varies by make/model

Last edited by gharika : 1st February 2011 at 19:37.
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:32   #159
BHPian

Guys, I park my car (Figo , petrol) on the road , in a well lit area, where another 3-4 cars are also parked. My car has an immobilizer. What is the best anti-theft system I should buy? Autocop, Motion Sensors, Steering loack, Gear Lock , etc? Please advice.

Last edited by Snazzy : 2nd February 2011 at 11:33.
Old 3rd February 2011, 17:03   #160
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
The best options in terms of the cost are:

Gear Lock: 1300-1400
Sterring Lock: ~1500
Change door locks to a difference set from steering/ignition lock: cost varies by make/model
Well, I would say the best options are:

- Safe (indoors) parking
- A security guard watching over
- Gear lock. If not, then steering -> pedal lock
- A solid security system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazzy View Post
Guys, I park my car (Figo , petrol) on the road , in a well lit area, where another 3-4 cars are also parked. My car has an immobilizer. What is the best anti-theft system I should buy? Autocop, Motion Sensors, Steering loack, Gear Lock , etc? Please advice.
Dear Snazzy, it'll greatly benefit everyone if you spend some time reading through the article. Your questions are well covered. Thanks
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:28   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I would say the best options are:

- Safe (indoors) parking
- A security guard watching over
- Gear lock. If not, then steering -> pedal lock
- A solid security system
Few days back, here in chennai thieves were looting the wheels out of cars. The jack was still intact but the wheels were gone. The only option to save oneself is by atleast getting the first two things done above.
Old 4th February 2011, 12:23   #162
BHPian

@VW2010, yeah I did hear about such instances happening recently in chennai. I also read in the papers, though a long time back, about the rear windshields of cars been removed to gain entry into the car to steal the music systems, etc.

Wonder how can those be prevented, in case there is no safe parking spot or the car has to be parked outside of any building for a night or two?
Old 4th February 2011, 12:57   #163
Senior - BHPian

Does anybody know of a Maruti Swift (Year 2009/10/11) being stolen without having access to either of the 2 OEM keys?
Old 4th February 2011, 12:57   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
Wonder how can those be prevented, in case there is no safe parking spot or the car has to be parked outside of any building for a night or two?
If I have to visit friends/relatives and stay overnight, I always find out beforehand whether I can park the car inside their premises. If the answer is negative, I will leave the car at home and take a call taxi!
Old 4th February 2011, 13:33   #165
BHPian

@Gansan, what you have said is true, I would also make sure if the place I am going to visit for the first time is safe to park the car or not at first place. But I think people who had their wheels/music systems stolen would not have thought about that or did not expect it to happen at all !?

We never know which place is going to be safe, that's why we are talking about the safety equipments here

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks