Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On owning a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2014, 13:24   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to protect your car from THEFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What say guys about this and how much true or realistic does this stand in today's situation?

Anurag.
This is same as the GPS tracker. Mobile and Telematics rely on mobile tower only. the advantage of Telematics is that it can disable the fuel pump and/or ECU and render the vehicle immobile. We would have to go through impossible processes to get mobile phone location. First we need to file an FIR and have contacts high enough to get the police work immediately. It is a known fact that stolen vehicles are smuggled into Nepal within 24-36 hours of theft. By the time one acts on the same, it is too late and in all probability the vehicle is already in nepal

Telematics on the other hand gives location information without any dependency on FIR / Police / other approvals etc. I could hire a private armed security guard for around 50,000/- who could accompany me and retrieve the vehicle. This is faster and requires less formalities compared to other "law" options.

Now-a-days we get telematics devices for as low as 10,000/-. It should not be a big pinch on the pocket for even someone on a tight budget.

My Verdict: Install a telematics device and set a perimeter. On theft an SMS alert is triggered. Immediately disable the ECU/Fuel pump using SMS option of the telematics device. In most probability the vehicle would be disabled on a main road causing a traffic jam (police would come). in case the vehicle is on a secluded highway, hire a private security guard(man at arms) and retrieve the vehicle. Once retrieved, file an FIR of the theft. This FIR would protect the owner if the thief had hit someone / some vehicle / stored drugs/dead-body etc.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 26th January 2014 at 13:41.
scopriobharath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 19:24   #197
BHPian

Hi everybody, I am looking for a GPS tracker for my Fortuner & as usual t-bhp has something on it.
I am primarily interested in one where you can track your vehicle if stolen & also can immobilize it remotely.
Was talking to two different dealers- The Jalgaon Toyota dealer is offering- Map my India- quoted me Rs.22500/- , which when I went online & checked -the most upgraded one is being offered online for 10,000/ -with 1 year vehicle tracking service & Rs.16000/-for 2 year renewal.Got back to the Dealer who told me He will get back to me after checking . Will call him on Sunday & find out the details.
Also called Shinrai Toyota ,Mumbai & He sells Autocop tracker -Rs.18500/-, but he also promised to get back with the details.
Called up Autocop salesperson after getting their no. from the website & he said the one with the remote immobiliser (through smartphone)will cost Rs.9600/- (including 1 year service). & later Rs.1500/-for 15 months service. He would come home to fix the system ,but, I would prefer doing it in the Toyota dealership.
There is a lot of markup in my opinion between the dealers prices & from outside- I can understand a bit for installing ,etc, but more than 100% is too much.
I would appreciate any views from the members if anyone has any experience of these systems & their advise regarding the same.
Nariman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 10:14   #198
BHPian

Just an update-
Got a call from Manoj Jain-Accessories in charge Chaudhari Toyota, Jalgaon, yesterday at 830 pm regarding the MMI tracker. He said he will give it at the MRP only, but he has to also call over the installation guy from Pune as the dealer service chaps do not have the experience in fitting his. I appreciated his candor & asked him to get me the details . He called back in 10 mins saying that the MMI Maharashtra region MD has agreed to courier a set & also send their installation guy from Pune. I told him I need to talk to someone in MMI first to clear some doubts & would place the order with him tomorrow. I really liked the service from Manoj Jain as their dealership closes at 6 pm & he called me with the update at 830 pm. Am thinking why is MMI taking 6000/- pr year for renewal when Autocop is charging 1500/-for 15 months.? Any members with experience of this please advise.Thanks .
Nariman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 17:20   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nariman View Post
Hi everybody, I am looking for a GPS tracker for my Fortuner & as usual t-bhp has something on it.
I am primarily interested in one where you can track your vehicle if stolen & also can immobilize it remotely.
Was talking to two different dealers- The Jalgaon Toyota dealer is offering- Map my India- quoted me Rs.22500/- , which when I went online & checked -the most upgraded one is being offered online for 10,000/ -with 1 year vehicle tracking service & Rs.16000/-for 2 year renewal.Got back to the Dealer who told me He will get back to me after checking . Will call him on Sunday & find out the details.
Also called Shinrai Toyota ,Mumbai & He sells Autocop tracker -Rs.18500/-, but he also promised to get back with the details.
Called up Autocop salesperson after getting their no. from the website & he said the one with the remote immobiliser (through smartphone)will cost Rs.9600/- (including 1 year service). & later Rs.1500/-for 15 months service. He would come home to fix the system ,but, I would prefer doing it in the Toyota dealership.
There is a lot of markup in my opinion between the dealers prices & from outside- I can understand a bit for installing ,etc, but more than 100% is too much.
I would appreciate any views from the members if anyone has any experience of these systems & their advise regarding the same.
Quote:
Just an update-
Got a call from Manoj Jain-Accessories in charge Chaudhari Toyota, Jalgaon, yesterday at 830 pm regarding the MMI tracker. He said he will give it at the MRP only, but he has to also call over the installation guy from Pune as the dealer service chaps do not have the experience in fitting his. I appreciated his candor & asked him to get me the details . He called back in 10 mins saying that the MMI Maharashtra region MD has agreed to courier a set & also send their installation guy from Pune. I told him I need to talk to someone in MMI first to clear some doubts & would place the order with him tomorrow. I really liked the service from Manoj Jain as their dealership closes at 6 pm & he called me with the update at 830 pm. Am thinking why is MMI taking 6000/- pr year for renewal when Autocop is charging 1500/-for 15 months.? Any members with experience of this please advise.Thanks .
Before buying just make sure of two things
  • Whether they have a fortuner specific wiring harness that would ensure that wires are not split
  • Make sure to browse their map interface before you plonk the money. Just make sure you are comfortable using the interface.

Also - I feel 100-200/- per month is pretty reasonable for the "maintenance" charges of the website/portal. I feel 500/- per month of MMI is pretty high, but we need to know what extra MMI provides over Autocop. If it is just for the brand, I would suggest to go for lower one only.

Tip: Please browse the internet for the products and also check prices online. You can purchase at MRP Outside and then get it installed locally by your nearest authorized service provider of the company. Dealers are known to increase prices and sell at a premium, without any additional value add. This is similar to ICE products at accessories section. Since telematics is not a particular option yet, dealers are keen to move stocks, so expect heavy discounts.

Request:
Please buy the top model with the vehicle disable through SMS option. It is worth that couple of thousands extra for peace of mind.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 3rd August 2014 at 17:26. Reason: added Tip and request
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 09:48   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just an update-
You might want to check out this exibition / seminar at Pune. It is a seminar / exibition on Telematics. I am sure someone would have a fortuner specific device.

I went to a similar "cleaning devices expo" at BKC and they also were doing retail sales (single units) and not only bulk sales.

http://telematicswire.net/conf/2014/...tml#Exhibition
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 21:13   #201
BHPian

I am going to install an aftermarket Remote Locking system in my Alto K10 AMT which comes with non-remote central locking. I came across this solution from autocop which has both keyless central locking and gps tracking system.

Autocop TrackPro 5000

It will serve the dual purpose of GPS tracking and remote locking. I was wondering if anyone has used it. Should I go ahead with it or install the plain keyless entry?
Old 7th December 2014, 10:43   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnipon View Post
I am going to install an aftermarket Remote Locking system in my Alto K10 AMT which comes with non-remote central locking. I came across this solution from autocop which has both keyless central locking and gps tracking system.

Autocop TrackPro 5000

It will serve the dual purpose of GPS tracking and remote locking. I was wondering if anyone has used it. Should I go ahead with it or install the plain keyless entry?
Hi - I think this does NOT have remote disable function. I mean, I don't thin this supports the feature of disabling the ECU / Fuel pump using an SMS command. I would urge you to spend couple of thousands more and get that feature.
Old 5th January 2015, 07:13   #203
BHPian

Most of the cars being stolen are WHITE in colour

Source link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/45746526.cms

Quote:
NEW DELHI: Auto thieves in Delhi stole around 86 vehicles every day in 2014, around a quarter of them cars. They seem to prefer working weekends to week days and show a preference for specific colours — different for cars and two-wheelers — though whether this simply reflects the higher availability of these colours is a moot point.

An analysis of automobiles stolen from the capital in 2014, based on FIRs uploaded on ZIPNet (Zonal Integrated Police Network), a website run by the collaborative efforts of Delhi, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan police, throws up interesting patterns. The analysis was done by TOI for FIRs registered till November. Of the 29,015 FIRs registered, details were available for about 27,600.

By this count, white seemed to be the most popular colour among car thieves, with grey and silver coming in a close second. Interestingly, for stolen motorcycles, black is the colour of choice, accounting for about one-third of all motorcycles reported stolen last year . It was followed by red and grey/silver.

Shalimar Bagh police station reported the highest number of car thefts (158) among the 175 police stations for which data was available. It was followed by Madhu Vihar, Hari Nagar, Paschim Vihar, Govind Puri and Prashant Vihar , each with 140 or more FIRs — roughly, a car stolen every other day.

When it comes to motorcycles, the most notorious locality is the area under Bhajan Pura police station, which received 446 FIRs reporting motorcycle theft, or about three bikes every two days. Other police stations with averages of over one motorcycle theft a day were Jamia Nagar, Shakarpur and Krishna Nagar.

West and South districts reported over a thousand car thefts each. In two-wheelers, North East and East districts each saw over 3,000 FIRs, the highest among the Delhi Police's 11 districts as well as the railways and IGI Airport jurisidctions.

So where is it safest to park your vehicle? Apparently, near railway stations and at the airport. IGI Airport recorded only three car thefts, all railway stations in the city put together a mere four. The safest city district was New Delhi District, which recorded only a fifth the number of car thefts in other districts. For two-wheelers as well, these three regions are the safest as they have received the least number of FIRs.

The largest numbers of FIRs for stolen cars were registered on Saturdays and Sundays and the least on Wednesday. Assuming FIRs are typically recorded up to a day after the actual theft, because it takes some time for a car owner to discover the theft, this could mean that cars are most frequently stolen on Fridays and Saturdays, during the weekend, while Tuesday is a lean day for auto thieves.

The data also shows some unusual vehicles stolen during the year. There were three excavators, one road roller, 107 ambulances among others.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 21:20   #204
Senior - BHPian

Hack To Increase Chances of Retrieving A Stolen Car

When I came across this post on the Hyderabad Traffic Police page, I thought it to be some bogus tracker system blah blah blah. Putting my preconceived notions aside, I read the post and the sheer simplicity of the hack mesmerized me and I believe it is worth a share here.

Quote:
How to Immediately Get Back Your Stolen Car !

It is a fantastic idea for those who can't afford car insurance or Tracker System. I'm forwarding this to all my friends.

How to Get Back Your Stolen Car?

It takes only 2 minutes for a car thief to runaway with your car. No matter you have a trekker and auto-alarming devices fitted in your car.
The best safety for your car is a live and active Mobile Phone hidden in a safe place in your car:

1. Buy any low price mobile phone with longer standby time.
2. Install a mobile connection which has best network in the country.
3. Turn this mobile on complete SILENT mode (double check it should not vibrate while you turn it on SILENT mode).
4. Wrap it up slightly in a plastic sheet so that it should not get dirty and dusty during its hidden use.
5. Make sure it is perfectly responding by calling its number from another mobile phone.
6. Hide this mobile in a safe place in your car. And that’s it…!!!

If your car is stolen, immediately inform your local Police Help Line. Give them phone number of the mobile hidden in your car. Police can easily track the location by calling that number. Chances are that you may get back your car within the shortest possible time.
And finally do not forget to charge this mobile at least twice a week and hide it back in your car in active position.
Hope it helps!

Mods, please move to a appropriate thread if this contravenes any rules.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 21:34   #205
D4D
BHPian

Re: Hack To Increase Chances of Retrieving A Stolen Car

All ok, but just saw this part:
Quote:
It is a fantastic idea for those who can't afford car insurance or Tracker System. I'm forwarding this to all my friends.
If you can't afford insurance, you shouldn't be driving a car. It's illegal.

It's a good idea, but won't an operator disconnect mobile phone connection if unused for a long time?
D4D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 21:44   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post

It's a good idea, but won't an operator disconnect mobile phone connection if unused for a long time?
Honestly, I guess this is applicable whether one is able to afford car insurance or not. It's a lot better to find your lost car than to go through the hassles of claiming insurance, then buying a new car.

As for the disconnection, all these operators need is a recharge of Rs. 200 for every 6 months to keep your connection intact. And if you have to make a call, you can make a call when you remove the phone for charging!
Old 6th February 2015, 22:02   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
When I came across this post on the Hyderabad Traffic Police page
This one has been discussed in detail here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post3352558

The very same text- by the very same police body is evident here. But to be woefully honest- tracking a phone is better, and more importantly, easier than tracking a common, mass produced car- example, a white Swift VDi DDiS- which is the sort of car very likely to be stolen.

The number can be easily tracked, and the police do this sort of thing (phone tracking) regularly, while dealing with anti-social elements, outlaws...etc.
Quote:
Simply put- you can take the phone, and dial a couple of calls to your own official number, or your own home's landline- I guess, once in weekly intervals- perhaps? Charge it every Sunday, or weekly off, if need be.

Best way to avoid heartburn of car theft : Buy a car- that is unlikely to be stolen. Ford's, FIAT's, Mitsubishi's, VAG cars, lesser sold petrol Honda's - such as the Civic, CRV- you get the drift.

Trust me- I've been through it. After the heartburn- the countless rounds to the local police station is another issue. Then- somehow the FIR comes. Then, the insurance companies are other sources of needless headaches. Claim insurance. I never wanna go through all this- again.

Wherever MH08C 1003 is- she shall be missed. She was nimble, quick, had a nice number, and was one of those rare 1.1 Alto's, in red, IIRC.

MODS: You may move the posts in this thread here- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...car-theft.html

Last edited by FINTAIL : 6th February 2015 at 22:07.
FINTAIL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 22:05   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only the third party insurance is mandatory. This costs only peanuts compared with that of a comprehensive policy.
Old 6th February 2015, 22:14   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
When I came across this post on the Hyderabad Traffic Police page, I thought it to be some bogus tracker system blah blah blah. Putting my preconceived notions aside, I read the post and the sheer simplicity of the hack mesmerized me and I believe it is worth a share here.

Hope it helps!

Well it's a good common sense idea, which IMO will work well if police take action in a timely manner.

I had a break in at my place around four years back, the first thing that the police asked me was there a mobile as well which was stolen, the easiest way to track down the culprits was by tracking down the mobile through the IMEI. Unfortunately there was no mobile in my case.
Old 6th February 2015, 22:20   #210
Team-BHP Support

Without GPS it will only triangulate based on cell tower so accuracy of location can at times span couple of kilometers. Not effective if you ask me. GPS one with an external antenna connected might make more sense and there are apps that can help you track it yourself
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks