Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2011, 12:29   #46
BHPian

Looking too good Asif. I can't stop looking at those pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7
Just 1 question - The hub/wheel center of the front wheel looks a little odd; it looks like that from the Armada/Armada Grand. Can you tell me what it is?
That is a WARN free wheeling hub if I am not wrong.
Something similar to this one?
http://www.cyberjeep.com/sites/defau..._img/w9062.jpg
Old 22nd May 2011, 20:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)

Saif bhai,

What is the current set up of the fuel pump? Is the carb being fed directly off an electric fuel pump? Or did I miss out on any details?

Rgds,
Shubz
Old 22nd May 2011, 20:15   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
That's a fantastic restoration of a LHD Jeep !! Great work !

Just 1 question - The hub/wheel center of the front wheel looks a little odd; it looks like that from the Armada/Armada Grand. Can you tell me what it is?
these are WARN free wheeling hubs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Very nice job Saif...so the Jeep is back in Hydeerabad now. Its nice to see an APY regestered Jeep, matches the regestration on your Fiat
its the first thing my grand mother noticed too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Attari,
Great effort and job on a very well done restoration!

The Mahindra plate on an LHD, I am asking myself, why did Mahindra assemble or sell a LHD Jeep in a RHD country? I always was under the impression that RHD Jeeps only were assembled, manufactured or retailed in India.

Try changing the air cleaner to carb. boot, you still can get the original in Hyd.
Is there any way you can get rid of the arched rear, top panel, does not go well here.
Regards,
Hi Fazal,

It is well known that M&M got the dealership from Willys Overland in late 1946. I have not been able to find much information on the subject, but broadly can say that they were initially importing complete jeeps/assembling and later manufacturing.

The M&M plate you see on the dash has a serial number, chassis number and an engine number of which the later two match my jeep. I am presuming the former serial number was given by M&M. Now the serial number on the jeeps in the US was nothing but the frame/chassis number and was usually in the following two formats and could be found on a serial number plate screwed onto the passenger side firewall under the hood:

1. From 1953 to 1954 - 45X GB2 12345 in which the first number indicated the number of cylinders, the second coupled with X (3 or 4) denoted the year for eg: 53 or 54. 'G' denoted the chassis type, 'B' the body type and '2' the model series. The following 5 digits represented the serial number or frame number. The Cj3a shared a similar serial number format from 51 to 53 with the exception of the model series number being '1'.

2. 1955 onwards: 57348 12345 in which the first two digits represented universal jeep line, the third digit - body type, the fourth digit number of cylinders and the fifth digit represents the drive - all wheel drive and the following 5 digits the serial number or frame number.

As per the M&M plate my serial number is: CJ3B 16028, and my Chassis number is 49753. The number stamped on my chassis is 57348 49753 in line with the Willys Overland serial number/frame number format in the US. From this I would presume that my jeep is from the US and was probably the 16028th jeep assembled/sold by M&M in 1958.

Regarding the rear arched top panel, I guess you’re talking about the canvas top and its assembly.. I have followed the original design and layout for a CJ as prescribed. This is not common here as it’s cumbersome to strip as it’s supported by a number of rods. We usually tend to change it to the more common military style folding top or the scissor top as its popularly known. You could visit the following link to read some more on the topic.

http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/SoftTopHistory.html

Rgds
Saif

Last edited by Attari : 22nd May 2011 at 20:16. Reason: forgot to attach a link
Attari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2011, 23:34   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attari View Post
It is well known that M&M got the dealership from Willys Overland in late 1946. I have not been able to find much information on the subject, but broadly can say that they were initially importing complete jeeps/assembling and later manufacturing.
Congratulations Attari, that's a great effort there; your Jeep looks lovely indeed! I've been particularly fond of these large speedos on the CJ3s since childhood (evocative with the large font, the missing zeros and the conspicuous red needle) - whether in mph or the later kph calibrated ones. My planter family thrived on these!

A 'lil bit on the Mahindra & Mahindra history now from me, if I may, without digressing much (coz a lot of things tend to get lost in the sands of time). Mahindra & Mahindra was initially formed as Mahindra and Mohammed, by the Mahindra brothers (KC and JC) in partnership with Malik Ghulam Mohammed, and changed to Mahindra and Mahindra after MG Mohammed moved to Pakistan after independence (he became Pakistan's Home Minister, or Law Minister or something like that, can't remember exactly now). Anyway, initially M&M was formed to trade in steel. Their automotive foray actually began with reconditioning the wartime military vehicles left over from the WWII in the frontier region, and that included the Jeeps (both MBs and GPWs). Then they began importing and selling the Willys Jeeps, before commencing to manufacture them under license from Willys in 1947. The rest, I suppose is known mostly! Or there is always that fellow called Google for the purveyors of instant fixes!!

Last edited by Prabal : 22nd May 2011 at 23:36.
Prabal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:24   #50
BHPian

Hi Attari,

Great job on the jeep. Considering the terrible condition you bought the car in, it's nothing short of a Phoenix like resurrection, that too in only a year's time.

I have never seen a Jeep in this colour, but I like it very much and is a pleasant change from the standard military shades. I also like the authentic, unembellished exteriors, the period canvas top and of course the wonderful and crisp detailing in the engine bay.

Just one thing I want to point out, the little bit of surface rust on the right side radiator top tank (in your top view pic), due to excess water from the radiator, have it cleaned off thoroughly and maybe apply a thin layer of engine oil on the top tank.

Regards
Prithvi

Last edited by mbz180 : 23rd May 2011 at 10:25.
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:44   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
What is the current set up of the fuel pump? Is the carb being fed directly off an electric fuel pump? Or did I miss out on any details?

Rgds,
Shubz
Hi Shubz, the carb is being fed through the mechanical pump. We have installed a plastic fuel filter between the tank and the pump (needs a bit of camouflage).

I am fitting a carter fuel pump now. (attached are some picture of the same)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
A 'lil bit on the Mahindra & Mahindra history now from me, if I may, without digressing much (coz a lot of things tend to get lost in the sands of time). Mahindra & Mahindra was initially formed as Mahindra and Mohammed, by the Mahindra brothers (KC and JC) in partnership with Malik Ghulam Mohammed, and changed to Mahindra and Mahindra after MG Mohammed moved to Pakistan after independence (he became Pakistan's Home Minister, or Law Minister or something like that, can't remember exactly now). Anyway, initially M&M was formed to trade in steel. Their automotive foray actually began with reconditioning the wartime military vehicles left over from the WWII in the frontier region, and that included the Jeeps (both MBs and GPWs). Then they began importing and selling the Willys Jeeps, before commencing to manufacture them under license from Willys in 1947. The rest, I suppose is known mostly! Or there is always that fellow called Google for the purveyors of instant fixes!!
Hi Prabal, thanks for the information. I was unaware that M&M was reconditioning MB's and GPW's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Hi Attari,

Great job on the jeep. Considering the terrible condition you bought the car in, it's nothing short of a Phoenix like resurrection, that too in only a year's time.

Just one thing I want to point out, the little bit of surface rust on the right side radiator top tank (in your top view pic), due to excess water from the radiator, have it cleaned off thoroughly and maybe apply a thin layer of engine oil on the top tank.

Regards
Prithvi
Hi Prithvi, you spotted the leak in my radiator.. Its being fixed as I type.. Will get the paint touched up once its done.

rgds
saif

Attached are a few picture of the carter fuel pump...
Attached Thumbnails
Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-carter-fuel-pump-1.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-carter-fuel-pump-2.jpg  

Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches)-carter-fuel-pump-3.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2011, 13:55   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
That is a WARN free wheeling hub if I am not wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attari View Post
these are WARN free wheeling hubs...
Thanks, I didn't know that Also, were these jeeps meant to be two seaters only? I don't see any seats behind. And, have you driven the Jeep with the soft top removed? It must be a real Wind in your hair experience!!
Old 31st May 2011, 16:50   #53
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Saif,

That was very informative, the serial number and M&M plate confusion.
Also, I am enlightened about the arched rear end of the soft top.
Regards,
Old 13th June 2011, 15:36   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Thanks, I didn't know that Also, were these jeeps meant to be two seaters only? I don't see any seats behind. And, have you driven the Jeep with the soft top removed? It must be a real Wind in your hair experience!!
Attari, Lovely 3B and let me compliment you on the restoration.
I have been following this thread keenly as I am also an avid Jeep enthusiast.

W.A.G.7;2362190, Short wheelbase Jeeps had a seat which could seat two (although it was a tight fit) facing the front between the two rear mudguard bulges . Only after long wheelbase models were introduced in India ,that they had two long seats on either side with access from the rear.
Dussey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 16:17   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Attari, Lovely 3B and let me compliment you on the restoration.
I have been following this thread keenly as I am also an avid Jeep enthusiast.

W.A.G.7;2362190, Short wheelbase Jeeps had a seat which could seat two (although it was a tight fit) facing the front between the two rear mudguard bulges . Only after long wheelbase models were introduced in India ,that they had two long seats on either side with access from the rear.
Thanks Dussey.. Your Script GPW is a reflection of your enthusiasm for jeeps

Regarding the rear seat, here are my two bits. This was an option that one could add to the civilian jeep just like quite a few others that are generally taken for granted. for eg: the front passenger seat, the center rear view mirror, a lockable (keyed) fuel tank cap etc.

The side seats (cushions on the rear tire walls) appears to be a very Indian customization and seldom seen on any of the short chassis in the US or UK.

Just like the front passenger seat the rear seat could also be very easily taken out as its not fixed to the jeep with nuts and bolts but by two retainers that lock the rear legs in place (will post a picture).

My 3b was missing these retainer and thus the seat when she came home. I have decided to go without the rear seat but once I get hold of the retainers, I will be able to use my Cj3a rear seat when required.

Last edited by Attari : 13th June 2011 at 16:19. Reason: gramatical error
Attari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2012, 18:42   #56
BHPian

Congratulations Attari, your Jeep looks lovely !
Old 6th April 2012, 01:41   #57
BHPian

Now that's crisp, Congratulations! It looks like it just came from the dealership.
Old 14th September 2012, 18:31   #58
BHPian

That is stunning. Truly

How often do you drive them?
Old 16th April 2022, 23:36   #59
BANNED

Need XLO steering box for Willys Jeep

Hi friends, I'm looking for a LHD XLO steering box for my Willys cj3b, 1954.
It's fitted with the original Ross steering box but that's too tight to drive. Have replaced the bearings but still is not ok. Shall be grateful if any member can help. TIA.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks