Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2011, 13:40   #1
BHPian

BSA GT50 rebuild

This is an appeal to anyone who is familiar with the old BSA GT50 / Bond / Falcon
This automobile engineer who brought this bike to India was my late father in law Ashok Bolar.
My 16 year old son now wants to rebuild the original BSA GT50 bike that was lying in my in laws place for over 25 years. The bike has almost every conceivable spare along with it, and also an almost complete new engine in spare. I don't have the knowledge to help my son on this project, hence this shout out to all you committed bike enthusiasts who believe this is a good thing for a 16 year old to get into.
Please contact me if you'd like to help my son rebuild this old classic.
Old 21st June 2011, 14:33   #2
BANNED

Re: BSA GT50 rebuild

If you have the spares along with you its not tough to restore the bike as I think it might require just a new paint job along with chroming and buffing and one reliable mechanic who can do this passionately, i know one guy who has knowledge of most of these bikes also factory manuals to restore them to factory specification.
BTW where are you located in Bangalore, let me know if you need help, it may take time but the job will be 100% to your satisfaction.
Ajaybiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 17:28   #3
BHPian

This is probably the easiest bike to rebuild. I had one in college & rebuilt the entire machine from scratch with a set of spanners & other basic tools. The difficulty level is a little higher than a 5 speed bicycle. let me know if I can help in any way.
Old 21st June 2011, 18:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Man, that was probably the noisiest two wheeler ever! I had one called the BSA falcon, later renamed the BSA Bond after the company was taken over by Brooke Bond! It had battery operated lights!!
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:25   #5
BHPian

@Ajaybiz - Like I said, this is the original prototype that my late father in law brought from the UK; they apparently used to race it on tracks at Sholavaram and Poona, and so there's a whole trunk full of every imaginable part, there's also an entire spare engine, and a couple of wheel rims. There's probably enough spares to build a whole separate bike as well.
One of my f-i-l's old colleagues from the original team is also on hand for any guidance, but can't be hands on because of recent cardiac surgery.
I've put an FRP sheet over some space behind the house for a makeshift workshop. I'd tried to get a mechanic to come and work with my son on the bike, but so far three have been no shows.
Any and all help will be appreciated - my son will do all grunt work if guided. All enthusiasts who get off on the whole grease monkey bit may please pitch in to guide my son who so wants to be a grease monkey. He is registering on the forum so y'all can interact directly with him - I'll post his monicker as soon as he's approved.
I live in Koramangala 1st block, so please do feel free to drop by on the project. Please do pm me for my number and address.

@rmonie - see above

@ all others who have commented on the sound vs speed mismatch of this machine - totally agree about how hilarious it was when you heard this monster dirt bike sound and then saw the mosquito - HAH!
But still and all, it's one of those fond memories, and of course for us it's a fond memory because of pop in law.
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:45   #6
BHPian

I may have gotten bumped before my earlier reply was posted, so here goes again......

@Ajaybiz - Like I said, my late father in law Ashok Bolar originally brought this prototype from the UK. Apparently they used to race this machine at Sholavaram and Poona tracks, and hence there's a whole trunk full of all kinds of spares - probably enough to build a whole new bike. There's an entire spare engine and a couple of wheel rims. One of my f-i-l's old colleagues from the original team is also on hand for guidance, but can't be hands on due to recent cardiac surgery.
My 16 year old son wants to do the whole grease monkey bit, so all enthusiasts who want to pitch in and guide him are welcome - he's more than happy to do the grunt work under supervision / guidance. He's registering on the forum so he can interact directly - I'll post his monicker once he's approved.
I've put an FRP sheet over space behind the house for a makeshift workshop. I also tried to get a mechanic to come over and help my son get started on it, but so far three have been no shows, so yes, I'd be grateful if you could point me to this mechanic you know, if he's willing to come to my place and work on it.
I live in Koramangala 1st block; please do pm me for my contact number and address.
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:37   #7
BANNED

You are very close to my area i am at outer ring road at sarjapur signal at suncity, good to hear that you son also wants to participate in wrenching on this bike, but problem is that most of mechanics now days are not willing to work outside their garage, my advice is first try to convince mechanic of your choice to work in your place or just do those things at your place which you feels its easy and you are confident to execute perfectly rest hand over to experts specially the paint, chrome, wiring and engine work.
May be you son can help him at his place in dis melting and re assembling the bike.PM me your mail id as PM is not working for your id.

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 22nd June 2011 at 10:39.
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:57   #8
BHPian

@Ajaybiz - my email is sudhirkamath@callfloat.com and cell# 9845154982

It appears I have no PM
Old 23rd June 2011, 16:01   #9
BHPian

if its an uk spec original, be careful of dirty mechs who might try to lift parts. esp. if your kid is new to it.
could you post pics of the bike and parts too?
Old 24th June 2011, 00:33   #10
BHPian

Float: Send me a picture on tuffryder@gmail.com . I could probably come over during my free time and help rebuild the bike. I stay at HRBR Layout.
Old 24th June 2011, 14:00   #11
BHPian

sir, what i suggest is first and foremost buy a book,search online for your model and stick to the book,then make two lists,one for the sequence in which you will proceed the restoration.may be the gurus here can do for you,second list for the parts that you will need,then tally the parts list with the parts you have,if you have to procure some, we all will help you.another suggestion please stick to originality and restore the bike to the shape as close to the one -the day it rolled off the factory line, no extra chrome,no metallic paints.rest is your personal choice and taste-All the best,we hope to see a good BSA on this forum soon,Drive safe and one more suggestion in the end, restore a helmet along with, and paint them together with the bike,may be if you have an old one of that era, it will look good and the young rider must be safe!All the best again!
inderpalgill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 18:43   #12
BANNED

Noted sir and sent you mail, kindly remove your personal details from open forum.
Old 24th June 2011, 19:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

I remember these bikes at a showroom near my dad's college where he used to work, there used to be a line of Yellow, Blue and red bikes lined up, as far as I remember there were two variants the Bond and Falcon and Falcon used to be a mono shock.

I don't think assembling should be an issue when you have all the parts any two stroke mechanics esp the Yamaha guys would be able to do the job as someone mentioned these were simple and easy to fix bikes. Please approach POWERTWIN he would be of a great help in my opinion, this gentleman has got amazing experience and collection and will guide you the better way. ALL THE VERY BEST.
Old 28th June 2011, 10:05   #14

I recollect meeting your FIL at his bsk house, i think he did help me with some spares for racing those days.

Should not be a problem to build this bike if you still have not completed the project. Please do let me know if you need any assistance, i know the right guy for this job.
Old 29th June 2011, 18:50   #15
BHPian

This is the son of Float. I Have attached some pictures i took of the bike below

BSA GT50 rebuild-img_4852.jpg

BSA GT50 rebuild-img_4854.jpg

BSA GT50 rebuild-img_4855.jpg

BSA GT50 rebuild-img_4856.jpg

BSA GT50 rebuild-img_4857.jpg

BSA GT50 rebuild-img_4858.jpg

BSA GT50 rebuild-img_4859.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks