Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2011, 21:02   #16
BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition. I am too young for this but the first vehicle i drove in 7th standard was a scooter. Had great fun with the spring seats, 6v electricals and a horn which would never horn peep. Used to rev the scooter hard to get the horn sounding loud.
I wish you all the best for your restoration. Keep updating us with visual treats.
Old 13th December 2011, 21:30   #17
BHPian

Re: My new acquisition Vijay Delux/super

Are these street legal ? I mean are these 2 stroke scooters ?
Aren't 2 stroke scooters banned due to emisson norms. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 13th December 2011, 21:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Here's the scoot I mentioned....finally got the pics. transferred to my PC!

Sorry about the quality but its a mobile pic. And didnt get to photo it again even though I did pass by it a few times then! Later not to be seen again.

Attachment 855554

PS: Any updates on your scoot?
Sir ji, this is not a vijay super but Allwayn Pushpak, (notice the horn button ),Vijay super had a squre shaped box having the same buttons of horn and lights
Old 13th December 2011, 22:57   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Sir ji, this is not a vijay super but Allwayn Pushpak, (notice the horn button ),Vijay super had a squre shaped box having the same buttons of horn and lights
Vijai never had a square but one shaped like this only. I can tell since I had one.
Only Lambrettas had the square/rectangular housing for the buttons.

The early ones had chrome housing with black buttons, like this. Later on black with red buttons (which faded to pink!) came at some point.
Old 14th December 2011, 10:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Quote:
Vijai never had a square but one shaped like this only. I can tell since I had one.
Only Lambrettas had the square/rectangular housing for the buttons.

The early ones had chrome housing with black buttons, like this. Later on black with red buttons (which faded to pink!) came at some point.

I agree with Shyam. Even my Vijai Super has the same chrome housing as shown in this picture.

Unfortunately i dont recall any pictures of our Vijai Deluxe. Will have to dig some old photos from my father's desk. Interestingly my grandfather wouldnt let my father ride his scooter so often until he got married and got his own scooter. But my grandfather never denied me to ride the scooter, even though i didnt have the driving license, infact the keys would always be with me only. Thats the advantage of being the first grand child, i guess.

Priyadarshan
Old 9th March 2012, 21:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veldeep View Post
Today on Diwali eve i aquire two Vijay Delux/super.
one is yellow and one is blue.
yellow will restore soon.blue one for spares. Attaching some photos.
regards,
Nice catch buddy.I also have one vijay delux,restored 9 years back still in same condition,but only monogram is missing. As you said that you are using blue one for spare, can you give one monogram from your one vijay. I'll be very thankful to you if you can help me in completing it.
Attached Thumbnails
My new acquisition Vijay Delux/super-211006_1122.jpg  

My new acquisition Vijay Delux/super-211006_1123.jpg  

Old 18th March 2012, 20:52   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

@veldeep, apologies if I'm hijacking your thread!

If felt needed, this post may be moved to an appropriate thread although I dont find one specifically related to Vijais.

Quote:
Here's the scoot I mentioned....finally got the pics. transferred to my PC!

Sorry about the quality but its a mobile pic. And didnt get to photo it again even though I did pass by it a few times then! Later not to be seen again.
OK, after quite a while, surprisingly I happened to find this scoot back today, parked in the same spot as it was last time!

My new acquisition Vijay Delux/super-vijai.jpg

Managed to take a pic. of the other side, although still not been able to see the front as I was in a hurry to go somewhere again today!

Hopefully I will get to sometime now that its back.

Again, mobile pic. this time too but a bit more clear than the first one! I noticed today it has the chrome studs to cover holes on both the side-panels.

Going by the way the studs are fitted in a row, the only fitment that wouldve previously been there would have been the aluminium side 'pattis' which, however, were present only on the Allwyn Pushpaks, BUT then again only on the later ones with the turning mudguard:

The stepney tyre holder on this one also matches that of the Allwyn Puhspaks.

The early ones had the normal Vijai mudgaurd like this one does.

So it could be a Vijai with a mix of Allwyn parts or a later model Allwyn fitted with a Vijai mudguard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetjatt View Post
Nice catch buddy.I also have one vijay delux,restored 9 years back still in same condition,but only monogram is missing. As you said that you are using blue one for spare, can you give one monogram from your one vijay. I'll be very thankful to you if you can help me in completing it.
If its the "Vijai SUPER" monograms you need, I have a few of them NOS ones that I can send to you.

Please pm me your address and contact details.
Old 9th April 2012, 14:43   #23
BHPian

I am getting Vijay Super with Sidecar for INR 3000.Let me know if I should go ahead.Only tyres need replacement,rest others can be taken care by normal servicing as this scotre is idle for last 4 years,but paint and body is intact...Should I go ahead and buy it?Please advise.
Old 9th April 2012, 16:15   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthp View Post
I am getting Vijay Super with Sidecar for INR 3000.Let me know if I should go ahead.
Should I go ahead and buy it?Please advise.
Did I read right?? 3000/-...?? THREE THOUSAND ONLY??!! In this day and age?!
And is the sidecar a genuine one??

If so then mate, for once you've hit a gold mine for sure!!

No need to even ask for advice, just GO FOR IT!

Vijais are becoming more desirable now and collectible already, though maybe not yet a classic here compared to Lambrettas/LDs. But they soon will be.

And they're also becoming rare since many were exported out of India.

So better grab one if its at this price before it lands with some crafty dealer who will only resell it for an escalated price!

Whats the status of the papers btw?
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 16:16   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthp View Post
I am getting Vijay Super with Sidecar for INR 3000.Let me know if I should go ahead.Only tyres need replacement,rest others can be taken care by normal servicing as this scotre is idle for last 4 years,but paint and body is intact...Should I go ahead and buy it?Please advise.
Just go ahead and buy it..3K is relatively cheap that too with side car.
If you don't like it pass it on to me later

All the best and Cheers
girishpv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 22:03   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Did I read right?? 3000/-...?? THREE THOUSAND ONLY??!! In this day and age?!
And is the sidecar a genuine one??

If so then mate, for once you've hit a gold mine for sure!!

No need to even ask for advice, just GO FOR IT!

Vijais are becoming more desirable now and collectible already, though maybe not yet a classic here compared to Lambrettas/LDs. But they soon will be.

And they're also becoming rare since many were exported out of India.

So better grab one if its at this price before it lands with some crafty dealer who will only resell it for an escalated price!

Whats the status of the papers btw?
Thanks Stanher,I will grab it on Thursday, and yes you read it right,it is INR 3k ..Papers are in order...One scrap dealer is in competition,but I will win the bid by hook or crook

It is 1984 Vijay Super+ genuine side car with windshield(RTO registered!), and Modi Continental tyres.Your and Girish Sir's post has given me boost/Bournvita/Horlics which was needed for decision making

Now only problem to convince my wife ..I already have 2 classics(Lambretta and Rx).My family members are asking where am I going to keep all these vehicles?? (I already bought 2nd parking as advance arrangement in my apartment w/o informing anybody in my family for keeping these classics!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post

All the best and Cheers
Sure Sir,who else can be the most eligible than you if I have to pass it on!
I am very excited to grab this scooter actually!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 10th April 2012 at 09:36. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 7th May 2012, 10:04   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post

All the best and Cheers
I bought two scooters yesterday to give company to my Lambretta 1972 daily running model.
  1. Vijay Super 1983 model with side car,repainted all original parts
  2. Lambretta 1974 in excellent condition,all original parts with some rust spots
Lucky to have them both on same day in my garage,Paid the amount and now scooters are with my mechanic.Need some tyre work for Vijay and overahauling for both.May need to replace cables but overall I got decent deals!

Now hunting for Jawa and Vespa 150 and will get it in day or two.
( All my friends echoed the same sentiments!)

I am happy to add them in my collection and will post the photos in 1-2 days.
siddharthp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 17:02   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veldeep View Post
Today on Diwali eve i aquire two Vijay Delux/super.
one is yellow and one is blue.
yellow will restore soon.blue one for spares. Attaching some photos.
Any updates on Mr. Vijai?
Incidentally, I've recently become the owner of a Vijai- a second time! Having sold off my first one (which was also my first 2-wheeler ever) 10 years ago! This is a '79 Vijai Super. Needs a minor restoration as of now.
Old 16th June 2016, 10:59   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Incidentally, I've recently become the owner of a Vijai. This is a '79 Vijai Super. Needs a minor restoration as of now.
Dear Shyam - hello after a very long time and congratulations! Please post some photographs, will be nice to see.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 12:41   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shyam - hello after a very long time and congratulations! Please post some photographs, will be nice to see.
Hello after indeed a long time to you too sir!
And thank you!
I didn't know you were into old scooters as well!
Yes, glad to share pics. - hope tis ok with veldeep btw.
The first 4-5 pics are when I'd got her, 1.5 months ago, with help from my friend Balaji (chanu here), who brought the scooter to his place, whence I then transported her home (not running yet).

Twas a 1-owner scooter until maybe a few years ago, and originally pista green. Still in the name of the 1st owner to date. Also appears to have not been used much as most of the original parts- including handle grips, levers etc. are intact! The old speedo reading showed 11000 km, which I'm 99% sure was genuine! It appears that the scooter was completely done up at one point maybe during which was painted white. The present number dates from 2006, and I could see that twas originally registered in Orissa/Odisha (our fellow tbhpian dudesam, who hails from there, tells me ORN was of a place named Nabhrangpore/Nowrangpore in Orissa)
To cut a long story short, the second owner acquired it from the first but did nothing with it since, and apparently the scooter was left lying in the open for a long time so had deteriorated quite a bit, besides being subjected to mild vandalism! It was then put away in a godown, where a pack of rats had found their home inside - chanu told me he'd found a rat's nest right above the engine on the right side inside!! They'd even chewed on half the plug wire, yet the scooter fired up when started for the first time after we brought it!
Given her a wash and clean after bringing her home and still needs a bit more! Have replaced a few of the missing bits including the speedo and the correct (for this model i believe) horizontal stepney holder, for which am thankful to our Ilango from Pune! Got more stuff from Delhi yesterday!
Concentrating on getting her mechanically fit for now! Necessary especially for transfer/FC!
Given you quite a lot to read for now i guess! More later - maybe in a separate thread!

My new acquisition Vijay Delux/super-20160511_1907081.jpg

My new acquisition Vijay Delux/super-20160511_1815261.jpg

My new acquisition Vijay Delux/super-20160511_1818521.jpg

My new acquisition Vijay Delux/super-20160516_195327_lls11.jpg

My new acquisition Vijay Delux/super-20160526_10504111.jpg

My new acquisition Vijay Delux/super-20160605_1148091.jpg

My new acquisition Vijay Delux/super-20160605_1122591.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 16th June 2016 at 12:56.
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks