Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2011, 23:39   #1
BHPian

My new acquisition Vijay Delux/super

Today on Diwali eve i aquire two Vijay Delux/super.
one is yellow and one is blue.
yellow will restore soon.blue one for spares. Attaching some photos.
regards,
Attached Thumbnails
My new acquisition Vijay Delux/super-s1.jpg  

My new acquisition Vijay Delux/super-s4.jpg  

My new acquisition Vijay Delux/super-s3.jpg  

My new acquisition Vijay Delux/super-s6.jpg  

My new acquisition Vijay Delux/super-s7.jpg  

veldeep is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 11:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: My new acquisition Vijay Delux/super

That is a nice idea. Buying 2 and restore one to glory using spare from other. My cousin have one and it goes like a rocket!
Old 25th October 2011, 11:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Just yesterday i was talking to mom about our fist scooter way back in 1980 (or 1982, i believe) and the first accident in that scooter (Vijay Super) we eventually sold it in 1988 (if i remember it correctly). Glad to see the thread.

Best with the restoration work, it will be interesting to watch how you restore it to glory.
Old 25th October 2011, 15:33   #4
BHPian

Waoo ...!!!

Kaka Nice Buys. Get one of these and your Lambretta Restored soon. Hell of a Garage you got there.

Looking forward to see these beauties on the Road soon. Will drop-by in person to see them soon with my Lambretta .

I want one of the Spare Rim for my Lambretta - I am comming to get it .

Last edited by Shreeram : 25th October 2011 at 15:35.
Old 25th October 2011, 18:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
My cousin have one and it goes like a rocket!
That reminds me when I had an Allwyn Pushpak in 1983 and my friend had this 'VIJAI super 150' we used to touch speeds upto 110 km/h on Bombay Gujarat highway, pushing it to the limits.
These were strongly built and it was fun zipping them around.
Old 25th October 2011, 22:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice ones both. What model they are. Appears to be pre-1980 models because the wrap rods around the rear wheel area where the lady's foot rest was mounted is not seen. The blue has vertical stepney tyre mounting and those clamps are of Allwyn Pushpak, may be an after fitment.

Made me remember my Falcon, a Karnataka Scooters' assembled Vijai which I rode for 12 years.
All the best for the restoration. One standby scooter is a nice idea. Post updates please.

Last edited by rajeev k : 25th October 2011 at 22:06.
Old 25th October 2011, 22:10   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on your acquisition! This brings to me a lot of memories of my 1985 Vijai Super mk2- the very first 2-wheeler I ever owned and infact learnt driving on it- way back in 2005!

Also bought an early Allwyn Pushpak more recently but had to sell it within less than a month, but its in good hands (with tbhpian girishpv) so no worries.
Had it for a very brief period though. I happen to see an older Vijai parked at a shop here lately, rather rough but appears to be a daily runner (I have a photo but its in my phone and dont know how to transfer onto my PC yet!)

Your Vijai Deluxe would have been the very first of the Vijai models from SIL, would be a '74-75 model? I read in a book on Indian Lambrettas that the early Vijais had a lot of quality issues and that the name was changed to Vijai Super in the late 70s I guess.

Your Deluxe seems complete with the original name plate intact. The colour looks a real show-stopper too, the previous owner seemed to have known about Lambretta GPs! I would keep it (bodily) the way it is for a while, with maybe a tinkering/touch-up on the mudguard, just for fun!

You're lucky to get one of these, plus a parts scooter, these days!

Good luck with the resto.

Last edited by Stanher : 25th October 2011 at 22:12.
Old 27th October 2011, 01:05   #8
BHPian

Nice find and acquisition! Takes me back to my childhood days when we had a Vijay Delux '77 model with a side car! As a child (with two siblings) we have traveled a lot in the side car. Later on, when I was in college, removed the side car and used to ride it everyday.

Made the worst decision of selling it off in favor of HH Ambition in Nov 2003 (which has been my next favorite bike so far)

One of my uncles had the same yellow colored Vijay Super!
Old 28th October 2011, 11:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veldeep View Post
regards,
Hey those are just beautiful vehicles.. The yellow seems to be a Deluxe model. Is it right? My grandfather had a 1977 deluxe. Unfortunately sold when i was in college. But i used to ride it extensively. And that memory made me get my current Vijay Super.

Where did you get the blue one? Was it lying on a road near by Laxmi road? If its registration no. is MZA XXXX then i guess its the same one.

Hearty Congratulations. Would like to drop in and see them personally..

Priyadarshan
Old 31st October 2011, 22:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veldeep View Post
regards,
Hey Veldeep,

Congratulations on the new acquisitions...I can imagine and visualize it will be a head turner once restored. I rememer as a kid ,this was my brother in laws first owned scooter ..really powerful ...have loads of nostalgic memories of loads of trips on the same. all the best once again for the restoration. Also would like to share my restoration story with you on the following thread :http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...-150-a-11.html.

Please do not forget to keep us all updated regarding the entire project. eagerly looking forward to the same. all the best once again.

Take Care and Keep smiling always

regards
Sushil Narayanan
Old 13th December 2011, 13:25   #11
BHPian

Veldeep Sir.. Any updates on restoration of your Vijai?
Old 13th December 2011, 14:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Just yesterday i was talking to mom about our fist scooter way back in 1980 (or 1982, i believe) and the first accident in that scooter (Vijay Super) we eventually sold it in 1988 (if i remember it correctly). Glad to see the thread.

Best with the restoration work, it will be interesting to watch how you restore it to glory.
Quiet a coincidence, my father got a Vijay Super (Blue) in 1980 for I think 7500 Rs. and was sold in 1988 at the same price.
Old 13th December 2011, 19:46   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I happen to see an older Vijai parked at a shop here lately, rather rough but appears to be a daily runner (I have a photo but its in my phone and dont know how to transfer onto my PC yet!)
Here's the scoot I mentioned....finally got the pics. transferred to my PC!

Sorry about the quality but its a mobile pic. And didnt get to photo it again even though I did pass by it a few times then! Later not to be seen again.

My new acquisition Vijay Delux/super-vijai.jpg

PS: Any updates on your scoot?

Last edited by Stanher : 13th December 2011 at 19:48.
Old 13th December 2011, 19:57   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Here's the scoot I mentioned....finally got the pics. transferred to my PC!

Sorry about the quality but its a mobile pic. And didnt get to photo it again even though I did pass by it a few times then! Later not to be seen again.

Attachment 855554

PS: Any updates on your scoot?

Shyam,

Is that a super or deluxe? We had a 1977 Deluxe and i rode it extensively for couple of year even before i had a driver's license. I dont recall any quality issues as such. It would start in the same no of kicks no matter when you start. May be i was too young to notice any problems.

Priyadarshan
Old 13th December 2011, 20:43   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Is that a super or deluxe? We had a 1977 Deluxe and i rode it extensively for couple of year even before i had a driver's license. I dont recall any quality issues as such. It would start in the same no of kicks no matter when you start. May be i was too young to notice any problems.
I'm afraid I've no idea! :(

'could make out only if I saw it from front I guess, which I never did. And even so I could tell only if it had the badge intact, which I doubt, going by its condition.

Nice to hear about your Deluxe. Any pics.? BTW, I believe the Deluxe had a lot of teething troubles when launched and so wasnt as popular until the Super replaced it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks