Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2012, 14:46   #16
BHPian

Re: '52 Morris Minor - A restoration dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Hi Srinand. I have to say congratulations, Your thread is very similar to sushil_n79 bajaj 150 thread and both are making my eyes moist on a wed afternoon...
Nigel
Hi Nigel,

Thank you very much for the generous offer, to give you an idea of the status of restoration so far, i have just about managed to dismantle a lot of stuff from the car such as the badges, trim, fuel pump, carburetor and so on and have done some cleaning. The gearbox that came with the car was in pieces and have so far assembled about half of it! The car was probably left standing for a few years and hence, i don't know the condition of the engine, it however turns freely. I hope to get it started sometime soon. But i am still a novice and am learning things on the go, probably not the smartest of ideas ( ), but hopefully not too big a mistake!

So, i don't know how good or bad the valves are at the moment. I will take you up on your offer in time if it would still be available with you. But would like to thank you very much for the offer. Every time i lose a little faith in myself, it is gestures such as these that give me the confidence that i will be able to manage with the help of kind people such as yourself.

On a different note, a big thank you to ariesonu for taking the trouble to send me a copy of the book "The book of the morris minor and the morris 8".

Thank you,

Srinand.
Old 29th August 2012, 15:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinand View Post
Hi Nigel,

Thank you very much for the generous offer, to give you an idea of the status of restoration so far, i have just about managed to dismantle a lot of stuff from the car such as the badges, trim, fuel pump, carburetor and so on and have done some cleaning. The gearbox that came with the car was in pieces and have so far assembled about half of it! The car was probably left standing for a few years and hence, i don't know the condition of the engine, it however turns freely. I hope to get it started sometime soon. But i am still a novice and am learning things on the go, probably not the smartest of ideas ( ), but hopefully not too big a mistake!
I will take you up on your offer in time if it would still be available with you. .
Srinand, You're very welcome. The valves will stay in the trunk for you and I hope they are the right ones. Don't worrk it's not a mistake. Best way for you to learn and since you're an engineer I'm sure you'll do well. If you post pics of your gear box with the parts all scattered and now half assembled I'm sure people here will guide you. As for the engine ahaa if you have it off the car you could drain out the oil and open the sump and check the bearings as to what size they are and if you open one cap at a time you maybe able to tell if the crank has got grooves in it ( A photo here would help) and then maybe you could try shaking the conrod to find out if the bottom of the piston shakes in the cylinder. Side vavle right so there must be a cover on the side you could take off to look at them. Well if you have the space or the place and you're doing it too, consider yourself lucky or would you not say blessed.
You see I'm still making space in my garage for a long time
Cheers
Old 29th August 2012, 15:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Srinand, You're very welcome. The valves will stay in the trunk for you and I hope they are the right ones. Don't worrk it's not a mistake..
Cheers
Nigel, Thank you once again. I am an engineer, but unfortunately not the kind who would know much about mechanicals, one of those computer guys who dint learn that too well either! My expertise is mostly being able to differentiate between spanners and spades! I occasionally manage to change the bulb or tighten a screw. So i am a fair distance away from being able to do as much as you say. But i hope to learn, and i already have from this wonderful forum. I was fortunate enough to see a few restorations (mostly dismantling and occasional assembling) and repairs when my dad was around, those memories and several inspiring tales want to keep me going down this path. Will definitely put up pictures of stuff as and when i get to it. You are indeed right, i am blessed with the space. Need to justify it in course of time .

regards,

Srinand.
Old 1st September 2012, 21:46   #19
BHPian

Since this is restoration thread for Morris Minor, may I post some pictures of beautifully restored Morris Minors?

'52 Morris Minor -  A restoration dream-dsc_7031.jpg

'52 Morris Minor -  A restoration dream-dsc_7039.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
'52 Morris Minor -  A restoration dream-dsc_7044.jpg  

'52 Morris Minor -  A restoration dream-dsc_7058.jpg  

'52 Morris Minor -  A restoration dream-dsc_7459.jpg  

'52 Morris Minor -  A restoration dream-dsc_7466.jpg  

'52 Morris Minor -  A restoration dream-dsc_7532.jpg  

josejoseph is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2012, 17:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nigel, I was fortunate enough to see a few restorations (mostly dismantling and occasional assembling) and repairs when my dad was around, those memories and several inspiring tales want to keep me going down this path. Will definitely put up pictures of stuff as and when i get to it. You are indeed right, i am blessed with the space. Need to justify it in course of time .
regards,
Srinand.
Hi Srinand, you know it just maybe in your genes since your dad restored a few, so give it a try. Maybe you need to put pics up of the Gearbox first so it will show what's missing from your car.
I was looking at the manual I downloaded and then also saw another car on TBHP but that seems to be in good condition. It would cost a lot to do this restoration so you will have to budget that. But you have some great guys restoring vintages in Bangalore who are on TBHP. I'm sure you'll get help from there.
Best
Nigel
Old 3rd September 2012, 10:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Since this is restoration thread for Morris Minor, may I post some pictures of beautifully restored Morris Minors?
Thank you Josejoseph, those are some lovely cars. The millionth model of the Morris minor was rolled out in 1960 or so and they made 350 such cars to commemorate the achievement. It was the first British car to cross this milestone if i remember correctly. I think that about 50 survive of the 350. All this info is what i recall from a book called "Morris minor" by Ray newell, subject to corrections as i have quoted from memory.

Quote:
Hi Srinand, you know it just maybe in your genes since your dad restored a few, so give it a try..
Nigel
I hope so too Nigel. Will definitely give it a shot and more. Will surely post pictures and description of whatever i learn from the process. Was unable to do anything past few days, was held up with cleaning up the garage! Thank you again for the continuous encouragement.

regards,

Srinand.
srinand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 00:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi Srianand,

All the best for the work. Please let me know if you need any help with any spares for the car. I should have lots of the mechanical bits in stock with me.

All the best.

Please post some pictures with the updates.

Regards

Indrojit Sircar
IndrojitSircar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 11:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Hi Srianand,

All the best for the work. Please let me know if you need any help with any spares for the car. I should have lots of the mechanical bits in stock with me.

All the best.

Please post some pictures with the updates.

Regards

Indrojit Sircar
Hi Indrojit,

Thank you so much for the kind offer. I have been trying to get a few things in order, at the moment, i am just fiddling with the gearbox which is in bits. Hope to put it together in course of time. It is slow progress with nothing to show at the moment but i will update as and when i have something to share. I do count on the kindness and generosity of all the experts and elders around team-bhp to get me through this.

Thank you,

Srinand.
srinand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 13:13   #24
BANNED

Quote:
My father owned a 1949 low light two door in off white colour, i remember the day he took delivery of it from an old couple whose eyes were moist as they left their beloved baby in our place and waved goodbye for the last time. This was possibly the year 1988/89. I was about 5 years old and was thrilled at the first running car we had at home in years! I was by then tired of sitting in the dusty shell of the Fiat Balilla which had not run for possibly a decade at that time. I was now ready to enjoy something that worked, moved on its own and would accommodate us to go wherever we wanted to go. I still remember the scent of old upholstery mixed with oil that would fill my lungs every time i would get into that car.
Srinand,

A very touching story indeed! Glad to know at the end of the story that the car remained with the family and that you have now taken up the restoration. ALl the very best and I am sure your heart and soul will go into the restoration! Hope to see the car fully restored, in person !

Last edited by karlosdeville : 19th October 2012 at 14:55. Reason: Removing entire quote
Old 19th October 2012, 17:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAC444 View Post
Srinand,

A very touching story indeed! Glad to know at the end of the story that the car remained with the family and that you have now taken up the restoration. ALl the very best and I am sure your heart and soul will go into the restoration! Hope to see the car fully restored, in person !
Hi CAC444,

Thank you for the kind words. But, the car is not what was in the family. In fact i found out quite recently that the car which we had does survive and was chopped up and sold to someone in Mangalore. Still trying to find out more, i have reached a dead end, if anyone knows more it would be of great news to track that car . This is a different car i managed to get hold of. I sure hope i can live up to the expectations of many and myself during and at the end of the restoration. Still a long way to go. Thats a lovely fiat you have there. You are welcome to come see the car and catch up anytime you are free.

Thank you,

Srinand.
Old 19th October 2012, 18:08   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Hi CAC444,

Thank you for the kind words. But, the car is not what was in the family. In fact i found out quite recently that the car which we had does survive and was chopped up and sold to someone in Mangalore. Still trying to find out more, i have reached a dead end, if anyone knows more it would be of great news to track that car . This is a different car i managed to get hold of. I sure hope i can live up to the expectations of many and myself during and at the end of the restoration. Still a long way to go. Thats a lovely fiat you have there. You are welcome to come see the car and catch up anytime you are free.

Thank you,

Srinand.
Hi Srinand,

Sorry for the mix up. All the best to you in finding the car that was in the family and also in restoring the one you have got. My initial searches for an old automobile had Morris Minors on top priority. However, the Morris's that I came across were way out of my budget and then I came across the Fiat and it was love at first sight The rest is history! Will definitely catch up!

Cheers,
Praveen
Old 20th October 2012, 15:57   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Hi CAC444,

Thank you,

Srinand.
Hi Srinand,

The thread on restoration of my Fiat is now on Team BHP. Do check it out when you get a chance.

"Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100!" in the Post War Forum.

Cheers,
Praveen
CAC444 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 08:22   #28
BHPian

Hi Srinand ,

The history sounds familiar , was this car after being chopped stay in malleshwaram for a couple of years ? I may have some details and will inbox you

Prashanth

Quote:
Hi CAC444,

Thank you,

Srinand.
Voyager is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 10:25   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Hi Srinand ,

The history sounds familiar , was this car after being chopped stay in malleshwaram for a couple of years ? I may have some details and will inbox you

Prashanth
Hi Prashanth,

From what i know so far, it was bought and chopped up by an old timer mechanic who sold it to someone in Mangalore. I am not sure if it was ever in malleswaram. I have reached a dead end on the info here. Any further information will surely mean a lot to me. Thank you very much.

regards,

Srinand.
Old 4th May 2013, 23:16   #30
BHPian

shrinad congrates over your aquisition of the moris, in pune there is this mechanic names ABA (he does great restoration of moris cars) will pm his number to you in a couple of days may be that would help you.

secondly your story is very very similiar to mine do visit this page once you have time

regards
Rahul
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ove-bsa-2.html
gentlerowdy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed