Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2012, 09:08   #1
BHPian

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle

Thought of sharing with all of you pictures of my freshly restored 1974 RHD curved windshield Super Beetle. The detailed restorations was done at a very dear friends place by a bunch of highly professional, diligent, patient and sincere folks. Was extremely lucky to be guided by my friend who himself is an extremely reputed and perhaps one of the largest vintage/classic car collectors in the country (not many people know it though). Just to give a glimpse of his perfection, the final shade of the paint was arrived at after undergoing over 2 dozen iterations and somewhere I have pictures of all molds which i will post at some stage on this thread. Special mention must be made of my friends manager whom i troubled no ends with my nit picking but he bore all of it with ice on his head and never ever gave up on "pain in the ..." demands of mine.

Majority of the parts were procured by me from USA and as far as possible i went in for original NOS "Made in Germany" stuff. Special thanks to Mahesh Panchal, Bhavin (Ratilal) and Pankaj (Jalopy) for all their timely helps. Obviously huge thanks to the internet and numerous books which i referred inorder to make what i think is the "Most Original Super Beetle" - well every owner thinks that of his car isn't it??

I would say that the restoration is 98% complete (it can never be 100% ever) and couple of minor stuff is pending in terms of changing what we have already done as well as procuring couple of additional stuff.

Happy to hear feed backs both negative and positive. Since the pictures were clicked very early in the morning you may notice the colour of the car changing every time.

To end owning a 1974 curved windshield super beetle was a long cherished dream of mine and will forever be indebted to "THE MAN" who made it all possible for me. Thank you sir - from the bottom of my heart.
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5312.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5313.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5314.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5319.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5304.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5306.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5338.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5307.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5310.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5339.jpg  

67Bug is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 09:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle

The car looks like it just left the showroom. One of the best looking restorations I have seen.

Looking forward to hear the detailed restoration story with lots and lots of snaps.

The first photo is so picture perfect - if you do not mind, i would like to use it as my desktop background.
Old 26th October 2012, 09:37   #3
BHPian

From the inside of the hood & the engine
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5337.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5351.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5352.jpg  

67Bug is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 09:43   #4
BHPian

Detailing the interiors

The seat covers made for Super Beetle by TMI "Made in USA" original basket weave fabric.
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5334.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5327.jpg  

67Bug is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 09:46   #5
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Pretty awesome restoration. Can see somebody who is passionate in having the 'original' beetle. Love those white wall tyres. Please put up more pictures and stories about the vehicle.
Old 26th October 2012, 09:50   #6
BHPian

Congratulations Sid!
Not too long you gave life and energized the FIAT 500 to roll out on the ramp and now a second surprise in your stable. Unbelievable and mind blowing classy restoration! It is undoubtedly an Exclusive and Unique Beetle in India and my hats off to our common friend who along with his highly professional and dedicated team has delivered this amazing result. You are a proud owner of this work of art which many can only dream of.
May you enjoy the ownership experience of such a beauty and treasure her forever.

My special thanks and regards to the special man who is god gifted and talented to deliver such results for special owners like you having such special cars in your collection.
President is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 09:56   #7
BHPian

Pictures of the Dash board. Don't miss the "Rare Original Super Beetle Clock" and yes it works to the "T" and the Blaupunkt FM/AM chrome radio which also works

Notice the gear shifter lock and don't miss the original heater vents.

Finally - for all those who noticed it this one has an Aircon,what you see on the left is the blower and if you observed the engine correctly there was a compressor. Yes the aircon works and chills the car within minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5323.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5329.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5353.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5325.jpg  

67Bug is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 10:05   #8
BHPian

Now the headliner which I was very lucky to get an NOS from an acquaintance in USA for $30 !! It is original made in germany and was lying in storage for 3 decades till I managed to get it. Also carpet pictures from behind the rear seat and some more of the door panels and seat covers.
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5328.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5331.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5333.jpg  

67Bug is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 10:14   #9
BHPian

Some very special extremely hard to find original accessories which I love the most. The front and rear over riders for all VW Bumpers which came with strip inserts (not rubber) made especially for all 74 & up Super bugs and the wheel trims which get locked with the hub caps - made of polished aluminium and were sold by dealers as extras at the time of delivering the Bugs.
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5311.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5307.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5347.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5348.jpg  

67Bug is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 10:23   #10
BHPian

Some more miscellaneous pictures. Enjoy !!
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5304.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5305.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5310.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5330.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5332.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5345.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5349.jpg  

Introducing my 1974 Curved Windshield Super Beetle-dscf5350.jpg  

67Bug is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 10:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and when do I get a ride ! Looks lovely

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Now the headliner which I was very lucky to get an NOS from an acquaintance in USA for $30 !! It is original made in germany and was lying in storage for 3 decades till I managed to get it. Also carpet pictures from behind the rear seat and some more of the door panels and seat covers.
Old 26th October 2012, 11:36   #12
BHPian

Hey Bug,Now that you have this WOW bug, how about parting with the older one?? to me?? Jokes aside, a lovely restoration, BUT, if you look minutely, certain detailing/ finishing is a bit dissapointing. Since you are a perfectionist you must ensure that all edges, lines, etc are absolutely perfect in alignment.The gear lever for instance needs to be properly painted,the roof lining, especially at the rear is not perfectly fitted,the paint on the wheel rims is bad, possibly because tyres were fitted not on a machine but using the horrible lever which not only spoils the paint, but also damages the rim, the dash where the switches sit needs attention,the lamination on the front glass left side seems to be separating,the rear bench seat is not properly fitted,engine compartment needs detailing etc. BUT, a 100 times better than any of my cars, so CONGRATULATIONS on a brilliant job. My comments are only to suggest that an outstanding restoration becomes a perfect one. Hope you dont mind. When do we get to drool??
Old 26th October 2012, 11:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post

The first photo is so picture perfect - if you do not mind, i would like to use it as my desktop background.
By all means please go ahead there is no greater pride for us enthusiasts than to see our babies being exhibited on co-enthusiasts monitors, photo frames, mobile wall papers etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Congrats and when do I get a ride ! Looks lovely

Cheers
Just whistle and I will be there buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Hey Bug,Now that you have this WOW bug, how about parting with the older one?? to me?? Jokes aside, a lovely restoration, BUT, if you look minutely, certain detailing/ finishing is a bit dissapointing. Since you are a perfectionist you must ensure that all edges, lines, etc are absolutely perfect in alignment.The gear lever for instance needs to be properly painted,the roof lining, especially at the rear is not perfectly fitted,the paint on the wheel rims is bad, possibly because tyres were fitted not on a machine but using the horrible lever which not only spoils the paint, but also damages the rim, the dash where the switches sit needs attention,the lamination on the front glass left side seems to be separating,the rear bench seat is not properly fitted,engine compartment needs detailing etc. BUT, a 100 times better than any of my cars, so CONGRATULATIONS on a brilliant job. My comments are only to suggest that an outstanding restoration becomes a perfect one. Hope you dont mind. When do we get to drool??
Hey Bulldogji...elated to hear feedback from the man i highly admire. Yes some very good observations and I too have been making some common notes. Yes there is work to be done and this is the 1st cut so there will be couple of more visits made. The gear lever paint i think came off when we were trying to fit the shifter lock, did not find any solution to the lamination of the front windshield etc. BTW did anyone ever tell you about your eagle eyes and how you could make pots by lending them to vigilance dept Jokes apart many thanks and do let me know when you want to drool...it would be an honor to take you for a ride

Last edited by karlosdeville : 26th October 2012 at 11:55. Reason: Consecutive posts
67Bug is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 11:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Thought of sharing with all of you pictures of my freshly restored 1974 RHD curved windshield Super Beetle.

A super outcome for a Super Beetle! Congrats to you and your team and yes, from the various original (which I'm sure they are) rubber seals and gaskets that I spot in several places you really have restored the car to as original as possible. Glad to see a Bosch coil in there.

A leather stone guard on the bonnet is something I've not seen on any car in India; you really have gone the whole hog, haven't you. The seats are great and with the air con you could use the car daily if that was possible here!

Again, awesome job on the car and look forward to more pics of the restoration when it was in progress.

Cheers
Prithvi
Old 26th October 2012, 11:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sid,

lovely machine, I had heard about this car and its News connection. How many have owner her previously and when did she come in, a consulate car? History could be interesting.
As Bulldogji pointed out, the car is well restored, now need detailing. I also noticed the gear lever.
I don't like the bonnet cover, somehow this accessory looks crude. They also used to offer something similar called a bra, which also covered the headlight surrounds. And then there used to be those black slots fitted over the engine lid.
But I would be careful about daily use, she will catch unwanted "dings" in no time, you still have rikshas in the suburbs.
In all a nice car, use carefully. Being so high up the ladder, you just need to climb one more rung.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 26th October 2012 at 11:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks