Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2015, 22:49   #16
BHPian

Re: 1962 Ambassador - Restoration

I am glad to find this thread. I am on the path of restoring my 1963 Amby as well. Just got the first two coats of paints done. The exterior parts which needed to be repainted are done. The engine is overhauled (it's a Isuzu petrol engine - we replaced the original one back in 94).

Up next would be the wiring - getting all new wiring for the entire vehicle and getting the center console to work (speedometer, fuel guage etc.). Fingers crossed.

I got a darker beige upholstery from a guy near home who sourced this for me from JC Road. You have to ask for rexin cloth and may find the original thin sheets in furniture shops.

If you find the whitewalls or want to buy this together, i'll be glad to join you on the expenses to purchase these or get these ordered. Please let me know. I need to figure out the tyre purchase by this week or next.

Last edited by Mad Max : 10th August 2015 at 22:54.
Old 7th September 2015, 20:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I am glad to find this thread. I am on the path of restoring my 1963 Amby as well. Just got the first two coats of paints done. The exterior parts which needed to be repainted are done. The engine is overhauled (it's a Isuzu petrol engine - we replaced the original one back in 94).

If you find the whitewalls or want to buy this together, i'll be glad to join you on the expenses to purchase these or get these ordered. Please let me know. I need to figure out the tyre purchase by this week or next.
Sorry, was away from the board for a while doing other stuff and traveling.

Glad you liked the thread. Do post pictures here or on your own thread, we love to see other restoration pictures.

No luck yet with the whitewall tires. Still waiting to hear from MRF company.
Old 10th September 2015, 14:59   #18
BHPian

Fantastic work.Waiting to see the car back in its glory.It is fortunate that you still have people who know and love to work on amby.I had to sell mine as I found it difficult to find people for even minor work.
Old 4th October 2015, 19:39   #19
BHPian

Restoration - Part 3

It has been a while since my last update - I have been busy and the progress on the car has been somewhat slow. Nevertheless, we made some good progress in the last month. Here is the part 3 of the update.

I managed to get several more of the original parts. Here is the petrol tank cap I found recently. We are still locating the rubber bushing type ting that holds it in place with the body.
1962 Ambassador - Restoration-img20150919wa0010.jpg

Based on @karlosdeville's posts, I decided to use a coat of Wurth underbody coating. This product was out of stock with the local sales folks, so we had to wait for more than a month to get this.
1962 Ambassador - Restoration-img20150922wa0004.jpg
1962 Ambassador - Restoration-img20150922wa0005.jpg

Next came the color of the paint. My father had used Duco satellite blue grey for many years, we always remembered the car in that color. However, based on posts in this forum that smoke grey was an original color in which the ambassador was delivered in 1962, we decided to use that. Since the stock of Duco paint is not reliable, we decided to use non-metallic autocolor paint for this. Our painter eventually got the color right using the old Duco charts.
1962 Ambassador - Restoration-img20150923wa0008.jpg

This is what the initial results looked like.
1962 Ambassador - Restoration-img20150925wa0003.jpg
1962 Ambassador - Restoration-img20150925wa0004.jpg
1962 Ambassador - Restoration-img20150925wa0005.jpg
1962 Ambassador - Restoration-img20150925wa0007.jpg

A quick repaint of the engine cabinet. That is the solex carburettor (not original SU) and the air filter from a later era.
1962 Ambassador - Restoration-img20150929wa0001.jpg

We are now fitting the various fittings on to the car from a stock of new and old parts. Occasionally we discover something missing which stops the work for a couple of days until we find a suitable part. It has been a slow but steady progress. Photos below.
1962 Ambassador - Restoration-img20151003wa0006.jpg
1962 Ambassador - Restoration-img20151003wa0008u.jpg
1962 Ambassador - Restoration-img20151003wa0010u.jpg
1962 Ambassador - Restoration-img20151003wa0011u.jpg
1962 Ambassador - Restoration-img20151003wa0012u.jpg

My usual parts suppliers in Hyderabad, Bangalore and Assam have been very helpful. A few other things still not sorted out yet - steel beadings on the windshield (I am short of one for the rear) and rubber beadings that supports the steel trims. Also, the whitewall tires that are still only in the wishlist. The seats are getting rebuilt at an interior shop that used to do the work on our car many years ago. In the update, I hope to show the first look of the fully fitted car.
Gearphile is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 19:23   #20
BHPian

Restoration - Part 4

More work is getting done and more parts are trickling in. With some parts, I am at cross-roads - they are not quite the original and it is darn near impossible to find the originals. For example the dashboard panel switches. Since I have haven't been able to find the 1962 model switches, I got these from Holden Vintage Car parts in UK. Any opinion on whether these are close enough for the Ambassador switches in 1961/62 models ? The Holden website mentions them as parts for MGBs of that era and they look similar to early Ambassadors (from what I vaguely remember and what I have seen recently in team-bhp photos), perhaps inherited from the Morris Oxford.

1962 Ambassador - Restoration-20151011_174919.jpg

They come with a plain knob and you can buy lettered knobs for its hexagonal shaft like these -

1962 Ambassador - Restoration-20151011_174554.jpg

Another part I imported from Holden - the pillar switch from the dome light. Again, this looks similar to the original switch, but perhaps not the same.

1962 Ambassador - Restoration-20151011_174328.jpg

These quarter glass rubbers still in the HM manufacturers packaging was very nice to get.

1962 Ambassador - Restoration-20151011_173837.jpg

Finally, got the front parking light washers that were missing.

1962 Ambassador - Restoration-20151011_174048.jpg

Anyway, we are doing the fitting work now and we will probably continue at this pace for a couple of more weeks before the car is ready. Minus the whitewalls of course, which is really disappointing.
Gearphile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 14:51   #21
BHPian

I haven't had the time to put up the next part of the restoration story, but since we have made some good progress, here is a photo of the current state of the car. We are still doing some minor work fixing things and replacing faulty parts.

1962 Ambassador - Restoration-img20151025wa0002.jpg
Gearphile is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 15:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearphile View Post
I haven't had the time to put up the next part of the restoration story, but since we have made some good progress, here is a photo of the current state of the car. We are still doing some minor work fixing things and replacing faulty parts.

Attachment 1436497
Brings back memory of Amby and my leaves spent in workshop.

Kudos to you in finding most original parts and for the level of restoration. I too vote for Mark I type front.

Even before restoration, there wasn't much of rust and once the paint was scrapped, the body lines looked clean! Was it restored before it was parked for long time?

Keep her running regularly and please share more photos
Old 15th November 2015, 17:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
Brings back memory of Amby and my leaves spent in workshop.

Kudos to you in finding most original parts and for the level of restoration. I too vote for Mark I type front.

Even before restoration, there wasn't much of rust and once the paint was scrapped, the body lines looked clean! Was it restored before it was parked for long time?

Keep her running regularly and please share more photos
Thanks. As for the Mark 1 restoration, I am on it. If I can find the Mark 1 bumpers, that will be done.

After my dad, I did body repairs a couple of times, the last one was probably around 2004 or 2005. I got engine work done at that time as well. We kept the car in a covered garage, so I guess it didn't have as much damage one would expect. It is still mostly the original body.

Currently, I have several restoration related work pending - need to replace the zinc ring inside the horn switch as it broke during installation, the ignition switch is giving problems and needs to be replaced, brake light switch needs replacement, the headlight dimmer needs replacement as well as a few other things. I am still looking for whitewall tires or maybe even inserts to give it the classic look. After that, we want to check the engine again thoroughly. However we are driving around fine and we hope to take it to some events in future.
Gearphile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 09:33   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I am still looking for whitewall tires or maybe even inserts to give it the classic look.
Hello Sir,

From our classifieds:
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...-Inserts.html/

Hope this helps

The car looks nice!

Goutham
autocrat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 00:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
From our classifieds:
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...-Inserts.html/

Hope this helps

The car looks nice!
Thanks Goutham, it does. I got Darryl's contact from another BHPian as well. Will be following it up. In the mean while I got new MRF Legends for the car which was a bit hard to find.

BTW, fitting the horn switch in the steering has been a pain. I got aftermarket parts for the steering switch which kept breaking (there is a zinc ring inside that is held in place by 3 screws). Finally I got another spare from an old scrapped car which looks less flimsy and hopefully will work.

More photos after the steering and the tire inserts are done.
Gearphile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 21:04   #26
BHPian

Just a few quick updates - I got the whitewall inserts from Darryl and fitted them on the brand new MRF Legends for the car. Did a test drive of 120Kms with no major issues barring only minor electrical issues and got a problem with the speedometer cable attachment fixed. It is all looking good now. Will present more photos and videos in a later update.
Old 16th April 2016, 11:22   #27
BHPian

Sir, I am also getting one 1964 model Ambassador restored to its original glory. All stuffs for getting it in original Mark II condition has been procured baring three nos of badges (MARK II), Horn Button, one pair of Head Light Rims, No. plate light and tail lamps. Can anyone suggest from where they can be procured? Thanks in advance.
Old 16th April 2016, 12:24   #28
BHPian

Kolkata will probably be the nearest place for you to procure. I have heard that you get some in Mallick Bazar. Otherwise check olx.in listing for ambassador parts. I got a number of parts from HM Motors Hyderabad.
Old 10th May 2016, 18:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Just a few quick updates - I got the whitewall inserts from Darryl and fitted them on the brand new MRF Legends for the car. Did a test drive of 120Kms with no major issues barring only minor electrical issues and got a problem with the speedometer cable attachment fixed. It is all looking good now. Will present more photos and videos in a later update.
Cool, Awaiting more photos and any luck with Mark 1 front kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Any pics to share Bro? Petrol Isuzu is the way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by rch_vijayant View Post
Sir, I am also getting one 1964 model Ambassador restored to its original glory.
Please share pics of the restoration. Would love to see more and more old ambassadors being restored

Last edited by ganesc : 10th May 2016 at 18:23.
Old 10th July 2016, 23:45   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
Cool, Awaiting more photos and any luck with Mark 1 front kit?
I have been busy with other non-car projects, so haven't got around to take some good photos, but will do that in a month or so. I have had the Mark 1 front grill for a long time, but haven't been able to find the bumpers. They seem to be very hard to find. In the mean while, I intend to enjoy the car in its current Mark 2 form.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks