Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2017, 12:51   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Its coming along nicely.

Are you planning to renew the registration of the car or planning on keeping it as a "period exhibit" ?

Pardon my question - but your efforts to get "period number plate" prompted it. I had gotten a typical "Calcutta plate" done for my Amby in 1982, which quickly became redundant in one of the "drives" by Kerala Police to get people write the numbers as prescribed in the India MVA then.

I don't think the plate in question is compliant ?

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
The plate is only for my mental satisfaction and photoshoot , a compliant plate will be fitted once the car is ready for regular use.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 12:55   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

Pardon my question - but your efforts to get "period number plate" prompted it. I had gotten a typical "Calcutta plate" done for my Amby in 1982, which quickly became redundant in one of the "drives" by Kerala Police to get people write the numbers as prescribed in the India MVA then.

I don't think the plate in question is compliant ?

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
I have the same number plate in my Mark 4 and was once warned by Police on the non admissibility and I still have the same in the Amby. Don't have an attitude to break the rules, but I think that the punched number plates are better than painted ones in what ever context.
Old 25th January 2017, 18:44   #78
BHPian

Wow Karl, what a magnificent effort! I have dropped in here after what seems like ages and this thread has made my day. You have, more or less, fabricated a brand new vanguard body shell :-)

Kind regards

Aditya
Old 29th January 2017, 18:26   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Just saw this on facebook , what a great restoration , waiting for more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-20170129-18.24.01.jpg  

KartikeyaL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 20:33   #80
BHPian

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485701713.359611.jpg1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485701732.691919.jpg1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485701759.371812.jpg

Some more pictures from today's rally posted by Aniket .

Well done Karl and Shrivardhan
ritayan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 13:48   #81
BHPian

Karl and Shrivardhan both are to be complemented for a job well done, without being over the top .

Hope to see this latest restored beauty in the Bombay rally
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 17:23   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

At last the car is completed. Last Saturday I finally saw the car for the first time since we picked her up. I am thrilled with the overall result, and she is a treat to drive. The car was ready just in time for the 2017 Statesman rally in Calcutta, so we took the chance to enter the event. Here are some pictures at the Fort William grounds where the event is held each year.

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_5832.jpg

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_5833.jpg

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_5836.jpg
I'm pleased with the final colour - it is understated but I think suits the car well.

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_5849.jpg
It seems we have got the dash colour right, a couple of others confirmed the combination.

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_5852.jpg
Both ash trays were made new, and left buff though they should be the same grey as the dash.

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_5853.jpg
The roof light lens was also locally cast and looks great.

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_5858.jpg

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_5859.jpg
The interiors are very neatly stitched with great care to details, though I'm still unsure of the loud red colour - hopefully it will dull down with time.

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_5860.jpg

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_5861.jpg
The driver's console looks great and fresh, helped by new ancillary gauges, though the speedo face is a little tired after cleaning up.

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_5865.jpg
The boot area was finished with some black panels added to neaten appearance

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_5871.jpg
I was happy to see all the glasses are original and in great shape, barring the wiper marks on the front windshield. The window rubbers were locally made which is a great effort, since they hold trim as well.

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_5873.jpg

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_5877.jpg
The engine bay gleams for now, hope I can keep it that way. Need to add a set of period horns as well.

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_4260.jpg

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_4265.jpg
Scored a couple of instruction manuals for the car on eBay, as well as a parts catalogue and the workshop manual, which proved very helpful during the restoration.

Calcutta RTO now insists on fitting modern high security plates with anti-theft rivets - so good bye to my beautiful period plates and hello to these modern ones - not even spaced correctly :(

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_4962.jpg

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_4963.jpg

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_4964.jpg
Another security measure added to all cars now in Calcutta. Luckily not too obtrusive.

Just before leaving Calcutta I drove down to the original owner's house to try and meet him - what a lovely house, in a matching colour Unfortunately he wasn't at home at the time and I had to leave, though his manager who has been driving the car since 1967 was very very happy to see the car in this state.
1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_4973.jpg

1958 Standard Vanguard Phase III - Restoration-img_4975.jpg

I guess all's well that ends well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Karl and Shrivardhan both are to be complemented for a job well done, without being over the top .

Hope to see this latest restored beauty in the Bombay rally
Thanks very much. I was in a dilemma of fitting a set of whitewall tyres - though luckily the cost is prohibitive so problem solved. And yes, she should reach Bombay in time for the rally.
karlosdeville is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 18:17   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Karl on a great restoration and even a better thread

Looking forward to your next project/s !
Old 31st January 2017, 22:17   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Beautiful. What a loving and dedicated restoration job and all in less than 5 months. I am amazed at the energy and eye for detail exhibited by you and your team.
Old 1st February 2017, 07:22   #85
BHPian

Fantastic job Karl, congratulations!!!
Old 1st February 2017, 10:03   #86
Senior - BHPian

What a beautiful & fantastic job. The credit goes not only to Karl but also to the guys who have worked meticulously to make this car, what it is today.
I believe no other car would be able to hold this color combination so well. Red upholstery is blending so easily with soft grey dash & door panels.
I think you should try to get some clip thing manufactured so that you can clip those period plates for drives & rally's.
Another nice touch would be paint/vinyl the upper section of headlight in black, as was the norm in the days of this car.
Though you will not agree but white inserts should the job very well. Why leave that last mile, when an easier option is available.
Once again, excellent resto bro.

Regards-Sonu
Old 1st February 2017, 11:47   #87
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
. The car was ready just in time for the 2017 Statesman rally in Calcutta, so we took the chance to enter the event. Here are some pictures at the Fort William grounds where the event is held each year.
Wonderful way to make a statement at The Statesman. Congratulation on winning the prize for the best restored car. Great job by Shrivardhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Just before leaving Calcutta I drove down to the original owner's house to try and meet him - what a lovely house, in a matching colour Unfortunately he wasn't at home at the time and I had to leave, though his manager who has been driving the car since 1967 was very very happy to see the car in this state.
What a wonderful touch Karl. Unfortunate that the previous owner could not get to see the restored car. No doubt he would have been very happy with the final outcome. He would have no choice but to agree that justice has been done to the car in every way, including a fantastic new owner !

Well done Karl. Keep up the wonderful work

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:00   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Beautiful. What a loving and dedicated restoration job and all in less than 5 months. I am amazed at the energy and eye for detail exhibited by you and your team.
Thanks, though we started work in September 2015, so almost a year and a half. Full credit to Shrivardhan and team, I saw the car only after it was completed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Though you will not agree but white inserts should the job very well. Why leave that last mile, when an easier option is available.
I'm not a fan of whitewall inserts, they tend to fray after a while with use and look horrible. The Indian ones seem to be longer lasting / thicker, but the colour is too stark for my liking.
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:58   #89
Senior - BHPian

A great job by owner and restorer! Speaking of makers mark on the glass I recall I had the same mark on my Rover Glasses, I think its Pilkington!

I would be curious to know what a Standard Vanguard cost in 1958 versus a Fiat or Amby of the same era. Such a modern looking car compared to the other options available in India.
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:32   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I would be curious to know what a Standard Vanguard cost in 1958 versus a Fiat or Amby of the same era. Such a modern looking car compared to the other options available in India.
Most prices are mentioned here, though dated 1950.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks