Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2007, 07:31   #1
BHPian

Restored Classic Vespas & Lambrettas

Hi,

A few weeks ago, when i was getting out of Sunny's a popular restaurant in bangalore, i saw a bunch of south east asians riding vintage vespa's and lambretta's that were wonderfully restored. Looked straight out off an Italian town... Could not get a photograph as it was dark. Anyone else spotted these guys?

raj
Old 5th March 2007, 07:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Oriental people driving Italian classics on Indian soil by a global restaurant. I love it.
Old 5th March 2007, 10:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
Hi,

A few weeks ago, when i was getting out of Sunny's a popular restaurant in bangalore, i saw a bunch of south east asians riding vintage vespa's and lambretta's that were wonderfully restored. Looked straight out off an Italian town... Could not get a photograph as it was dark. Anyone else spotted these guys?

raj
Were there a couple of southeastern girls on a pink vespa?

In my colege there's a Thai girl with a beautiful pink Vespa.
Old 5th March 2007, 10:18   #4
BHPian

Yeah, its always these south east asians who're roaming around on these Vespas and have seen loads of em here in Pune also!
Old 5th March 2007, 10:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Were there a couple of southeastern girls on a pink vespa?

In my colege there's a Thai girl with a beautiful pink Vespa.
There were four scooters in all.. A few couples and a few singles.. One of them could be the lady you are talking about.. You should probably check with her, where they got them from - imported them or bought them locally and restored them..
Old 5th March 2007, 10:37   #6
BHPian

i did see some in a restored lamberetta in sanjay nagar it was blue one some Asians were riding them.
Old 17th March 2007, 04:51   #7
BHPian

pacer yamaha @ infantry road restores Vespas and lamys and exports them. He also sells a decent number in india. They are built better than factory standards, so its simply stunning too.
Old 10th June 2008, 13:47   #8
BHPian

Spotted them too

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
Hi,

raj
Glad I found this thread. So Pacer restores classic scoots? That's great news! I've seen these guys plenty of times on MG Road and Church Street, the bikes are stunning. But I only see them after dark, and they're usually speeding off somewhere, so photos are impossible.
Old 30th January 2009, 01:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

a nice looking vespa, dont know which model. this is the 1st time i saw this scoot.
Attached Thumbnails
Restored Classic Vespas & Lambrettas-280109_150737.jpg  

Restored Classic Vespas & Lambrettas-280109_150752.jpg  

Restored Classic Vespas & Lambrettas-280109_150808.jpg  

Old 30th January 2009, 03:04   #10
BHPian

Looks like a regular Vespa 150 to me from the 1960s. He has a super sport sticker on it but they looked completely different.

Any of Ul guys remember the Vespa PL170, which was loosely based on the Vespa 50?
Old 30th January 2009, 09:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Its not Super Sport..but SUPER SPRINT.
Im bidding for a Vespa 50 model but the owner is not willing to part with it.
Old 30th January 2009, 09:39   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

These scoots are getting more and more popular (locally) by the day, which is great, because now people are able to get export prices locally for the bikes they want to sell. They look super cool, are easy to restore, parts are dirt cheap, plenty of fun to ride (I now use one regularly), and many hard to find parts are now being remanufactured locally. A fully ready scoot with practical upgrades like a Super block, 12 volt conversion etc goes anywhere between 15 to 30k, depending on attention to detail.

While on the subject, where can I source whitewall inserts and original 'P' embossed ivory grips for my scooter? Suren/Hillram?
Old 30th January 2009, 11:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Any of Ul guys remember the Vespa PL170, which was loosely based on the Vespa 50?
There is a Vespa PL 170 with one of my neighbours. It was in regular use until about a month back when he picked up an Activa. Are these Scooters rare? If so, do tell me maybe I'd add it to my collection (which has just about started).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Im bidding for a Vespa 50 model but the owner is not willing to part with it.
Hey Ram, When do you stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
While on the subject, where can I source whitewall inserts and original 'P' embossed ivory grips for my scooter? Suren/Hillram?
Whitewall inserts, me on the lookout too. However, during the Rally held on 26th Jan, I got an hint as to where these white grips may be available from time to time. Shall pursue them, Karl.
Old 30th January 2009, 11:31   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
However, during the Rally held on 26th Jan, I got an hint as to where these white grips may be available from time to time. Shall pursue them, Karl.
Much obliged. Ive had an unhealthy obssesive compulsive disorder/kleptomania to have them ever since I saw them on your scoot!

The PL 170s are a strange machine. Not particularly attractive, tiny, and Im sure no fun to ride. However I suppose its beauty lies in its ugliness. They too are fast dissapearing, and still dont command any premium. No harm in picking one up at this point when they are affordable and dont occupy any space.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 30th January 2009 at 11:33.
Old 30th January 2009, 16:27   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The PL 170s are a strange machine. Not particularly attractive, tiny, and Im sure no fun to ride. However I suppose its beauty lies in its ugliness. They too are fast dissapearing, and still dont command any premium. No harm in picking one up at this point when they are affordable and dont occupy any space.
Hmm......my barber (whom I've known since I was 11-12) has one for the last more than 10 years, which he uses regularly! He bought it from one of his own customers, it was in it's original blue then, repainted to this ghastly metallic bottle green!! It's in a rather bad state now, having lost it's side indicators (front and back) but still quite complete. His son, who now runs the shop, promised to give it to me when his father is.....you know! Still, I've seen better examples around as well but never enquired for any for sale so far....let's see, might as well keep it as a stand-by scooter!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks