Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2022, 08:12   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10

Introduction

This story dates back to 1976 and details the first car that I remember encountering in my life; a 1959 Made in England Standard Super 10 which used to return 16 kmpl on the highways and approx. 11kmpl in the city.

Name:  Super10_Ad_KD.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  53.7 KB

The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-super10_ad.jpg

These posts are my small way of paying a befitting tribute to this cute fuel efficient buggy that was one of the options for Indian buyers after the Ambassador and the Premier Padmini in the 1970s. Many readers who never got a chance to experience this car would perhaps be able to relate some of this car with some of the cars of the 90s and 2000s.

What prompted me to write about the Super 10?

Like the many ownership reviews I’ve shared this far, the Super 10 was on my mind, but the spark was provided when I looked at the teaser of a recent release - Gangubai Kathiyawadi that featured the Standard Super 10.

Screengrabs from the teaser (courtesy Pen Movies)
The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-super10_gangu_1.jpg

The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-super10_gangu_2.jpg

The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-super10_gangu_3.jpg

Also, I’d like to thank bhpian @karlosdeville whose thread Super 10 Restoration kickstarted the thought of me penning this thread. While my memories of the car are all in the head, this is the one car that I have no images of since we never thought of taking pictures of the car on a black and white film. All images shown in these posts are sample pictures sourced from the net and a few borrowed from fellow bhpians.

Last edited by vigsom : 3rd March 2022 at 19:15.
vigsom is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 08:25   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10

Background

Circa 1962 - My Dad owned a Standard Herald, bought new, when he was posted in Siliguri and then took the car along to Wellington, TN. The car was later left in Delhi under the care of a relative when Dad got posted in the 1965 operations. Post ops., the Herald went with Mom and Dad to Srinagar where he eventually parted with it since there was a jeep given to him and there was practically no use for the car.

Circa 1976 - After his assignments in J&K and Nagaland were over, he was posted in Chennai, wanted a car, but also knew his usage was going to be absolutely low – an odd weekend visit to someone’s place would be just about it. That is why he began looking at a used one.

The Super 10 makes an entry

While he was looking at options, he came across a reasonably kept 1959 black Standard Super 10 that was being owned by an old lawyer. I do not remember how he came to find that car, but I do remember that the car was eventually his for a mere ₹ 4,600 in 1976; as a small kid, I'd gone with him to pick the car up – and it did look weird – nowhere as stately as an Ambassador or neat as a Premier. The shade was black – not a sought after one those days, and I remember noticing the following:

1. long open parcel shelf to the left of the speedo console
2. many holes on the floor pan beneath the mats
3. weird shaped toothless grille
4. some missing chrome on the front grille and bumper

When I asked him why the car had so many “holes”, and all he did was smile.

The long parcel shelf (image courtesy bhpian @karlosdeville)
The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-super10_kd_dash.jpg

Black Super 10 (image courtesy bhpian @karlosdeville) - our car was in the exact same shade at delivery
Name:  Super10_KD_Sample.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  154.4 KB

Last edited by vigsom : 3rd March 2022 at 19:20.
vigsom is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Understanding the post-war cars made by Standard Motor Company

The Ten was a model name given to several small cars produced by the British Standard Motor Company. The small car project by the company was to cater to austerity in England post WW-II. Post War, between 1954 and 1960s, the Standard Eight with an 803cc engine and no boot gave way to the 948cc Standard Ten --> Super Ten --> Pennant --> Triumph Herald --> Gazel. The Standard 10 in England was known as Standard Vanguard Junior in Scandinavia and the Triumph 10 in America.

Standard Eight (image courtesy bhpian @karlosdeville)
The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-super8_kd.jpg

Standard Ten
Name:  StandardTen_Front_Sample.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  168.6 KB

Standard Pennant/ Standard 10 Facelift - sample image
Name:  Standard_Penant.png
Views: 939
Size:  572.8 KB

Standard Pennant/ Companion Estate (sample image) courtesy bhpian @RK4060
The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-standard_sample.jpg

Standard Herald Mark-II 2 door (image courtesy bhpian @calrock)
The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-herald_calrock.jpg

Standard Herald Mark-II modified (image courtesy bhpian @LOVE HER(ALD)!)
Name:  Herald_LOVE HERALD_1.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  304.6 KB

Standard Herald Mk-III four door (images courtesy bhpian @Stanher)
The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-herald_sh_mkiii.jpg

Standard Gazel (images courtesy bhpian @Stanher)
The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-gazel_sh_1.jpg

The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-gazel_sh_2.jpg

The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-gazel_sh_3.jpg

From what I understand , Standard Motors partnered with Union Motors to make the Vanguard . Alongside the larger Vanguard they sold the Standard Eight, Ten and later, the Super 10 . The eight, ten, Super10 were monocoque in construction, economical to run and were quite reliable – we can relate this to the Maruti 800 and the many cars that came into the Indian market thereafter. The original Standard Eight came with a fixed boot lid, with access to the “boot” only from inside. The Ten came with an openable boot lid. Here again, one can draw a comparison to the first gen Tata Nano and the later gens.

The Eight without an openable boot - the small lid is just to access the spare wheel (Image courtesy bhpian @karlosdeville)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Super8_KD.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	2279938

Brochures of the Standard models sold overseas(features mentioned may not be all correct)
The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-standard-eight-ten-brochure_1.jpg

The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-standard-eight-ten-brochure_2.jpg

The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-standardsuper10.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 3rd March 2022 at 19:24.
vigsom is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 14:11   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Details of the Standard 10

This theatre ad for the Standard 10 summarises some of the features of the car

The toothless grille with mesh deep inside
The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-super10_grille.jpg

Lucas headlamp
Name:  Super10_Headlamp.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  68.6 KB

Rear View of the Super Ten (image courtesy bhpian @karlosdeville)
Name:  Super10_KD_Rear.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  153.7 KB

Openable ventilators at the front and rear
Name:  Super10_KD_ventilatorsHandles.JPG
Views: 858
Size:  140.5 KB

Name:  Super10_RearQtrGlass.jpg
Size:  35.1 KB

Boot
Name:  Super10_Boot1.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  113.5 KB

Side View
The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-super10_frontrearqtrpanels.jpg

Integrated Instrument Console - remember the Maruti Ritz?
Name:  Super10_Console1.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  67.7 KB

Name:  Super10_InstrumentConsole2.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  70.5 KB

Lights for ignition, oil pressure and a light for the high beam too at the top center
Name:  Super10_InstrumentConsole3.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  33.6 KB

View of the dash and the parcel shelf
The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-super10_kd_dash.jpg

Control switches (L to R Starter, Parking lamps and headlamps, Key based ignition, Wiper, Choke. The heater wasn't present in the India model)
The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-super10_switches.jpg

Gear lever
Name:  Super10_GearLever1.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  35.1 KB

The Super Ten used a hydraulic clutch arrangement - so separate reservoirs for brake fluid and clutch fluid could be seen
Name:  Super10_BrakeClutchFluidReservoirs_2.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  31.5 KB

Water Pump and fan belt - typical like the Ambassador or the Padmini
Name:  Super10_WaterPumpFan_Belt.jpg
Size:  72.6 KB

Engine Bay - starter solenoid switch marked. The starter could be engaged from the engine bay too by pressing the switch in the center of the solenoid switch using a screwdriver or equivalent)
Name:  Super10_DynamoSolenoidBattery.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  67.7 KB

Engine Bay (image courtesy bhpian @JayD) - the coolant tank, fusebox, air filter box and the brake master cylinder reservoir in this image are not stock
Name:  Super10_EngineBay.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  155.2 KB

Name plate - note the rivets for the Made in England part and the screws for the Standard India part
Name:  Super10_NamePlate.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  82.5 KB

The Standard Super Ten came with a provision in the crankshaft pulley to use a starting handle and crank the engine up in the event of a dead battery OR starter motor malfunction.

As seen above illustrative clip, the center of the front bumper would have a hole, and the crank pulley would have a slot into which the starting handle would fit. The engine could typically fire with just one turn of the starting handle.

View of the road from the cabin of the Super Ten
The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-super10_roadviewfrominside.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 3rd March 2022 at 19:30.
vigsom is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 15:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Timeline of our Standard Super 10

The first job Dad executed in the Super 10 after arrival was to get its shade changed to a dark green, a shade darker than what is shown in the pics below.

Name:  Super10_Green_Sample1.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  105.8 KB
Name:  Super10_Green_Sample2.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  79.3 KB

I was too disinterested then to understand what else was done, but do remember that Ambassador tail lamp assemblies were used instead of the “standard” Super 10 ones. The Ambassador tail lamps were installed inverted , did look too big and out of place on the Super 10, but the illumination of the brake lights, turn signal lights made the effort look well worth it.

Standard Ten with modded tail lamps (image courtesy bhpian @JayD)
Name:  Std10_JD_TailLamps_Modified.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  116.9 KB

Dad also got Jalwa horns installed in Delhi. These horns are the yesteryear equivalent of the Roots Windtone/ equivalent Hella or Denso
Name:  JalwaHorns.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  23.1 KB

After approx. 5 years of ownership, the seats were done up in maroon, exactly as shown in the pic below.
The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-super10_marooninterior.jpg

and, the shade of the car was changed to grey to make the final product look like this
Name:  Super10_Ad_KD.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  53.7 KB

The exterior shade was exactly as in the attached pic
The Story of a 1959 Standard Super 10-standard_sample.jpg

I remember that he had gotten the shade changes endorsed in the RC.

My Dad would typically drive the car solo when we were moving cities and here are some memorable drives that he has done – between 1976 and 1988
1. Delhi to Gwalior with the Chambal crossing
2. Vijayawada to Chennai ( with family)
3. Chennai to Trichy (with family)
4. Trichy to Madurai
5. Madurai to Chennai
6. Chennai to Coimbatore
7. Coimbatore to Trichy
8. Coimbatore to Palakkad and return(with family)
9. Trichy to Hyderabad
10. Hyderabad to Bidar
11. Bidar to Trichy
12. Trichy to Chennai

Last edited by libranof1987 : 4th March 2022 at 09:10. Reason: As requested
vigsom is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 15:03   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Maintenance

The car was entrusted to me when I was in my late teens, and my weekly job was to crank the car, start it up, run the engine for 30 minutes, shut it down, and disconnect the battery. I never dared operate the car when powered but did try shifting gears with the engine shutdown. As part of my routine, I would also disconnect the black locally built battery every, say 3 months, take it on a bicycle to a battery store for charging (charging used to cost ₹10 then), connect it back. This was my first tryst with vehicle maintenance and have come a long long way since then.

Sample pic of the battery then
Name:  Super10_Battery.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  40.4 KB

From memory, I can definitely say that the car never let us down ever, but the only challenge we would face is that the starter would let us down when needed the most. However, with the crank handle handy, we would never be stuck anywhere. I’ve started the car using the handle several times. I also remember Dad would typically turn the car in to a local mechanic for routine work. Except getting the car repainted twice, there was no major expense. Tyres would typically be retreaded since usage and speeds were low, and the car would always have a spare ignition coil, spare fan belt, spare wiper blades, and a few bulbs.

Departure

After being with us for over 13 years, the car wasn’t used for quite sometime in Chennai. Since we had two two wheelers by then, the car became redundant and gradually deteriorated standing in one place in a garage in Chennai. The car was eventually sold for ₹ 3000; a sad end to an otherwise faithful relationship, but the Ambassador that I've already written about came in to the family less than 2 years thence. Comparing the two, the Ambassador was definitely the better of the two, but nowhere as frugal to run. While the era of Standards is long over, I can only applaud the efforts of the several enthusiasts in the country, courtesy whom the old Standards are still alive.

Name:  Super10_StandardEmblem.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  40.7 KB

Last edited by vigsom : 3rd March 2022 at 19:36.
vigsom is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 06:44   #7
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 13:45   #8
BHPian

[quote=vigsom;5270161]

Side View
Attachment 2279997

Nice thread on this rare car. During my teens I've seen a similar black Standard 10 in my neighbour's house who retained the car just for the monthly car allowance paid by his company. This was a common practice those days when eligible employees bought an old car only to claim the car allowance. The car was stationary throughout and they had jacked up the vehicle over few bricks so that the car tyres don't get damaged when they lose air.

In the then Madras, I've seen this car on the roads rarely mostly in black color and I must say I never took any fancy for this model.

Standard Herald and Gazel were more in numbers those days (late 80s) in Madras and either they were abandoned cars or were rented out for wedding baraat sans their roof transforming them into convertibles. If my memory serves me right, I remember seeing more sky blue cars with individual owners and red colored ones for wedding processions.
grkonweb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 15:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread, Vigsom! While I have owned many Fiats and Ambassadors as a enthusiast, I've never owned a Standard. However, I admire them a lot as I have seem them on Bangalore's roads during my childhood. Unfortunately, these cars disappeared on our roads long before Fiats and Ambys did.

Your memory regarding the battery rekindled memories of me maintaining my Dad's Padmini. Dad was working in North India back then and he had no time to maintain the Padmini. I saved some money as a student and got a local (not a branded one) battery for my Padmini and ensured the car was in running condition throughout. Whenever Dad visited Bangalore, he used to be surprised that the Padmini was in top condition not knowing much about my efforts as he used to tell me to focus on my studies instead.
arun1100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 18:34   #10
BANNED

A lovely thread, Vigsom. Takes me back to my school days (early 60's) when one of our school teachers (a Mr. Daniels who migrated to Australia later) ran a Standard 8 of the same dark green colour. He subsequently optd for a maroon Fiat Topolino. Both cars were maintained in good condition.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 21:55   #11
BHPian

Fantastic thread Vigsom. Got back my Nostalgic memories of my dad owning the Standard 8. It was the first car in our family and I learnt driving in that car. There were also times where we had fit in ~8 people in the car and went to Bannerghata National park. We had to finally part off with that car due to some urgent expenses. Some how there was some resemblance with the Bug Fiat and I used to love both of them. Simple, elegant and easy to maintain.
vijuk21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 14:29   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Introduction
This story dates back to 1976 and details the first car that I remember encountering in my life; a 1959 Made in England Standard Super 10 which used to return 16 kmpl on the highways and approx. 11kmpl in the city.
Thanks for sharing - do you recall the registration number of the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Like the many ownership reviews I’ve shared this far, the Super 10 was on my mind, but the spark was provided when I looked at the teaser of a recent release - Gangubai Kathiyawadi that featured the Standard Super 10.

Screengrabs from the teaser (courtesy Pen Movies)
Incidentally that is my same car that was used for the movie.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 16:25   #13
BHPian

The Standard Car later had sleek Standard Herald and ended at Standard Rover. Based on the British Rover SD1, Standard launched 2000 in India back in 1985. To be honest, it was the most luxurious car at that time but with a price bracket of ₹2,12,000. This car was costly yet qualty of Standard Rover was so poor that the Cars spent more time at Mechanics than owners.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks