Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2007, 09:31   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Its a Dodge Plymouth.
Macha, its actually a Dodge Kingsway.....Plymouth was a different model although only cosmetically.....(if you see old Tamil movies, you can find one in Kathalikka Neramillai, its a light green/white one, MDN something)
Old 2nd August 2007, 17:36   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Wouldn't you agree that the 1955 looked female, while the 1956 looked male?
Well, along similar lines I give you the brochure scans dated 1955 of the Dodge La Femme.

The Chrysler Corp decided to try a new marketing strategy, aiming this product at women. Based on a Custom Royal, the cars were available in two tone combinations featuring pink, rose, lavender and the like, even extending to the interiors. Each car was sold with a colour co-ordinated purse, with matching lipstick et al! I wonder how this idea would do with todays large metrosexual market
Old 2nd August 2007, 18:11   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Be ready to tear your hair out - Premier Automobiles had the following cars just lying inside Kurla plant.

BMC1475 - A green and white Dodge Kingsway 6 cylinder petrol with AC, beautifully running, just stood for years
BMC1476 - A green and white Dodge Kingsway engine removed for fitting MVC4 cooper diesel engine, which was never fitted
BML7948 - A cream Plymouth, petrol engine
BML7949 - A dismantled Plymouth
MRZ2526 - Dodge Dart 6 cylinder fluid drive used sometimes by the Chairman Emeritus, then just stood for years
A plymouth convertible
A dodge convertible

Last heard - all cars were to be sold for which somebody from Chandigarh had made an offer, no confirmation after that.

Behram Dhabhar
Old 2nd August 2007, 19:04   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The Chrysler Corp decided to try a new marketing strategy, aiming this product at women. Based on a Custom Royal, the cars were available in two tone combinations featuring pink, rose, lavender and the like, even extending to the interiors. Each car was sold with a colour co-ordinated purse, with matching lipstick et al! I wonder how this idea would do with todays large metrosexual market
Hmm......well afa I know, it hasnt turned metrosexual enough to the extent that men have begun wearing lipstick & carrying purses/handbags....
Hmm.....this makes me wonder if the rare colour option of 'rani' pink on the delight (as mine was!) was the result of a similar strategy from PAL!
And if so, (fortunately?) I guess for today's metrosexual market it wouldnt look odd for me to be seen owning/driving a pink delight if I revert to that colour!

Last edited by Stanher : 2nd August 2007 at 19:06.
Old 2nd August 2007, 19:08   #20
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Karl, Karl, Karl !

What my innuendo and nothing any more obvious is --

Isn't this 1955 distinctly female.

And this 1956 distinctly male?

Old 2nd August 2007, 19:18   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Hahahah, my mistake Ram! I wonder what Virgil Exner had on his mind.

A round of applause for Ram on this one...Note how subtly yet precisely his point is put across, even colour coding pink and blue!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 2nd August 2007 at 19:23.
Old 1st October 2007, 20:22   #22

test ride of 1956 Dodge Kingsway Custom Suburban Station wagon

Hi guys

Yesterday I drove the 1956 Dodge Kingsway Custom Suburban Station wagon in Gujrat . The orignal engine had been replaced with a Perkins P4 engine. The car was in pretty good shape apart from a few bits and piecesd missing . What would be the right price for the car? Any advise? If it doesnot suit my budget would be glad to let anyone else have the details.

Also saw 2 Dodge kingsway sedans in OK condition but minus orignal engines.

Regards

MASAI
Old 2nd October 2007, 01:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Be ready to tear your hair out - Premier Automobiles had the following cars just lying inside Kurla plant.

BMC1475 - A green and white Dodge Kingsway 6 cylinder petrol with AC, beautifully running, just stood for years
BMC1476 - A green and white Dodge Kingsway engine removed for fitting MVC4 cooper diesel engine, which was never fitted
BML7948 - A cream Plymouth, petrol engine
BML7949 - A dismantled Plymouth
MRZ2526 - Dodge Dart 6 cylinder fluid drive used sometimes by the Chairman Emeritus, then just stood for years
A plymouth convertible
A dodge convertible

Last heard - all cars were to be sold for which somebody from Chandigarh had made an offer, no confirmation after that.

Behram Dhabhar
yes Mr Behram i had seen some of the cars in the 90's with my brother at the plant. at that time they were asking for a very high price. so we did not bid for it. i believe the cars were picked up by different individuals
they still have the fiats in the basement type thing made. the tipo, 850,500, multipla is it( ugly looging car) and an alpha romeo. had seen these cars in 2002 last.
Old 7th October 2007, 22:47   #24
BHPian

Very cool news of great cars owned by the Doshi Family.

I wonder if all those cars got submerged in the floods of Mumbai. I hope not. ;(

btw will anyone restore the Dodge which is still in good condition at Pune ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks