Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2008, 20:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

It certainly has character

Such craftsmanship and design elevate these classics to being works of art, IMHO. I would not kick it out of my bed.
Old 5th January 2008, 04:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
BMY 6220 belongs to one Ajit Gulabchand, and was entered in a recent car show where I snapped these pics. Though it is missing a few original touches, it appears to be a long wheel base Windsor, making it a very rare machine.

Hey, Carl welcome aboard.... and Oh My God, Karlji!! Great work as usual mate.
A little about the LWB Windsor. If you have seen the film Hum starring Amitabh and Danny ( No, Danny was not the heroine, Kimi Katkar was!!) you will see this car featured in the fim as Danny's car which was burnt in the film... I went to see the car for sale many many years ago and was offered it for 75k which i thought was a princely sum to pay for a near junk Windsor. Also I had no person nor resources for restoring the car, not to mention money. the other cars for sale were the 42 Buick and the Fleetmaster from the film 1942 a Love Story and the Green chopped Mustang now with a so called restorer in Juhu who has ruined it further.
What about the cream Windor at five gardens which a Maharashtrian family owned. I saw that car go from restorable to junk and even as it disappeared (i hope not scrapped) a few days before it disappeared the owner still refused to sell it maintaining that he would restore it. I have painfully seen the metal parts of the car disappear one by one ane even the inner switches, till the car also went one day. I pray that it went to a restorer. Amen!!
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2008, 10:21   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BMY 4178 belongs to Abbas Jasdanwalla, a prominent collector in Bombay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
What about the cream Windor at five gardens which a Maharashtrian family owned. I saw that car go from restorable to junk and even as it disappeared (i hope not scrapped) a few days before it disappeared the owner still refused to sell it maintaining that he would restore it. I have painfully seen the metal parts of the car disappear one by one ane even the inner switches, till the car also went one day. I pray that it went to a restorer. Amen!!
I remember Pheroze telling me that this blue Chrysler was probably the 5 gardens car. So your prayers have been answered!

He also told me that Dina Petit, daughter of Mohd. Ali Jinnah, had bought a New Yorker at the same time as his car, in grey. He recalls the number being BMY 2255 or something similar, and was last with Nitin Dossa.
Old 5th January 2008, 11:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Mahvellous, simply mahvelllous!

Karl, as usual, youve stunned us with your pictorial prowess!

Now makes me wish someone in my family too had one of these!

Incidentally these cars were personally imported into India I presume, although some of them are right-hand-drive?
Old 5th January 2008, 12:26   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Incidentally these cars were personally imported into India I presume, although some of them are right-hand-drive?
They were sold new in Bombay by a couple of dealers. Most "regular" cars which weren't assembled here were still sold locally by dealers. Very few cars would have been personal imports, just as they are today.

I believe the DPDC range was sold by the Bombay Cycle & Motor agency at Opera House, which was selling cars at the turn of the century.
Old 9th March 2008, 18:40   #21
BHPian

1946-48 Chrysler

Hi,
I have a 1946 Chrysler Windsor-4 door sedan. I am the second owner.It is under restoration. Several items were missing, sourced quite a few from e bay & scrap yards in USA. Hopefully,the car should be running by July
Old 10th March 2008, 10:54   #22
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotcarl View Post

I am trying to locate 1946-1948 Chrysler convertibles around the world to get an idea of how many are left, especially the New Yorker convertible
Mr. K.C. Anand in Delhi has a beautiful Windsor convertible. My father had a 47 New Yorker fluid drive convertible in the late fifties. Have some clues on where it might be, need to visit the place to confirm its survival. A 47 Town and Country convertible that used to be in Hyderabad has left the town, will try to find out from the owner as to where it survives.
Old 10th March 2008, 13:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

A Windsor from down south! Sorry for the poor pix, it was dark and had only my cell with me!
Attached Thumbnails
1946-1948 Chrysler-28012008372.jpg  

1946-1948 Chrysler-28012008375.jpg  

1946-1948 Chrysler-28012008378.jpg  

1946-1948 Chrysler-28012008376.jpg  

Old 10th March 2008, 16:00   #24
BHPian

Pls let me know where in South this car is lying?
Ananth
Old 25th July 2014, 12:28   #25
BHPian

Re: 1946-1948 Chrysler

Hi.

I have a 1947 Chrysler Windsor, 4 door sedan, pictures of which I'll be posting on the forum soon. Really a nice car, with a 250 cu.in straight six 'sptifire' engine, fluid drive and hydramatic transmission. Request Karl and other BHPians to throw some light on how many of the vehicles mentioned above have the fluid drive still in working condition.
Old 25th July 2014, 14:35   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwetank View Post
Hi.

I have a 1947 Chrysler Windsor, 4 door sedan, pictures of which I'll be posting on the forum soon. Really a nice car, with a 250 cu.in straight six 'sptifire' engine, fluid drive and hydramatic transmission. Request Karl and other BHPians to throw some light on how many of the vehicles mentioned above have the fluid drive still in working condition.
Hi Shwetank - nice to hear about your Chrysler. Looking forward to seeing images of your car. Any special history with it? How long have you had it?

Many surviving Chryslers, DeSotos and Dodges of 1947/48 still run with the fluid drive system in working order. The working step down function maybe lesser, but I'm sure many still work.
Old 25th July 2014, 14:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Shwetank - nice to hear about your Chrysler. Looking forward to seeing images of your car. Any special history with it? How long have you had it?

Many surviving Chryslers, DeSotos and Dodges of 1947/48 still run with the fluid drive system in working order. The working step down function maybe lesser, but I'm sure many still work.

Hi Karl! The Chrysler's been with us for the last over 40 years. As a matter of fact, we also have a 1947 DeSoto (a more recent acquisition though). The fluid drive and the hydramatic transmission work perfectly on both my cars. So does the kickdown (without any subsequently fitted push button to activate it). The DCPD cars were definitely more usable than the much hyped Buick Super of the same vintage, so much so that I had actually been using the DeSoto as an everyday commute.
Old 25th July 2014, 15:56   #28
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwetank View Post
Hi Karl! The Chrysler's been with us for the last over 40 years. As a matter of fact, we also have a 1947 DeSoto (a more recent acquisition though). The fluid drive and the hydramatic transmission work perfectly on both my cars. So does the kickdown (without any subsequently fitted push button to activate it). The DCPD cars were definitely more usable than the much hyped Buick Super of the same vintage, so much so that I had actually been using the DeSoto as an everyday commute.
I presume that your car is still on 6V set up. One downside of a fluid drive gearbox is that the car cannot be push started
Old 25th July 2014, 16:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
I presume that your car is still on 6V set up. One downside of a fluid drive gearbox is that the car cannot be push started

Hi! I'm still using the hydramatic transmission on 6V because of the solenoid, although I'm using 12V to power everything else. And contrary to the general perception that a vehicle with fluid drive cannot be push started, here we need the vehicle to reach a speed of 8 MPH to allow the wheels to starting turning the engine over.
Old 26th July 2014, 12:42   #30
BHPian

Many confuse fluid drive transmissions with the semi automatic, so let me attempt to differentiate.
The fluid drive merely drives a fluid driven clutch to disengage the gearbox without the need to manually press the clutch pedal. The car with a fluid drive may have a normal gearbox, with the driver having to press the clutch pedal every time he needs to change gears.
In cars with a fluid drive and a semi automatic transmission, you continue to press the clutch pedal to shift into low ( first gear) then the change to second is like a normal automatic, then a manual shift to high ( third gear) and once again an automatic type of change ( without pressing the clutch pedal) into the fourth forward gear.

In both cases, the fluid drive merely allows you the ease of not having to change into neutral when stationary,by just keeping the brake pedal pressed down, say at a signal or whatever.

It is also a common incorrect perception , that such cars cannot be push started. They just need a greater amount of push to attain a certain RPM/ speed , after which the gear selected engages

Classic examples, the 1946/47 fluid drive dodge came with the standard three forward speed manual gear box, the 1946/47 chrysler came with a fluid drive semi automatic box. The Dodge also came in a smaller body style with non fluid drive cars with the same three speed gear box.

Desoto cars of the same period came in the smaller version with non fluid drive standard three forward speed boxes as well as a slightly larger one with the fluid drive coupled with a four forward speed box.

The cosmetic distinguishing factors were mainly FLUID DRIVE written on the rear bumpers a different front grill design in the desoto and slightly different tail lights , steering wheel and horn ring.

The Dodge in addition to the above had a two way side opening bonnet with a central hinge on fluid drive models versus a front straight up opening single piece bonnet on the non fluid drive cars. The dashboard and instrument clusters were also different, as were the steering wheel and horn rings.

The fluid drive Dodges of 1946/47 had a lovely large clock on the glove box lid as well.

Although a bit late in the day Karl, the post in which you featured the delhi blue convertible, that chrysler belongs to a friend and is a windsor, not a New yorker.

Last edited by Bulldogji : 26th July 2014 at 13:02.
Bulldogji is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks