Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2008, 12:49   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA View Post
There were Morris Oxford badges On the Front Quater Panels and on the boot. So either he has got them from somewhere for his Landy or it is a proper Oxford. Your interpretation Karloose...
You could also look at the bonnet for that scoop in the black circle. Oxfords had those where as the Landmaster never came with that.The car you saw did it have that scoop. In the second pic you can see the boot of a Morris Oxford it doesnt have the Morris Badge.
Attached Thumbnails
Morris Oxford...Beautiful-7_clip_image066.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by egangsta : 20th March 2008 at 12:50.
Old 20th March 2008, 12:54   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear egangsta (edward) - the car looks much better and more balanced without the scoop. Anyways, thanks for increasing my information. I never knew that such a scoop existed. Karl - what say you ? scoop original ?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 20th March 2008, 12:54   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Hey I thought that a Landy was a LandRover. Make up your mind you crazy car enthusiasts!
Hmm. Point noted. The Land Rover is the original Landy, henceforth we refer to the Landmaster as the Landmaster.
Old 20th March 2008, 12:57   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Karl - what say you ? scoop original ?
Oh absolutely, but never was offered in India, just like the heater was never offered here. I wonder if the scoop had something to do with that.
Old 20th March 2008, 13:06   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Hmm. Point noted. The Land Rover is the original Landy, henceforth we refer to the Landmaster as the Landmaster.
I offer you the name Lando. Lando Calrissian was Han Solo's friend, but he gave into the pressure of the Empire on Bespin's cloud city. The rest is history. Sort of.

I hereby offer you the names Landy for Land Rover and Lando for the Landmaster. Do you, Sir Karlos De Willy accept these names?

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 20th March 2008 at 13:07.
Old 20th March 2008, 13:11   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I offer you the name Lando. Lando Calrissian was Han Solo's friend, but he gave into the pressure of the Empire on Bespin's cloud city. The rest is history. Sort of.

I hereby offer you the names Landy for Land Rover and Lando for the Landmaster. Do you, Sir Karlos De Willy accept these names?
Er, Landmaster will do just fine thank you, el Kapaso.
Old 20th March 2008, 13:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I hereby offer you the names Landy for Landmaster and Lando for the Landmaster. Do you, Sir Karlos De Willy accept these names?
TYPO??

Landy for LandRover

and

Lando for LandMaster.

raj.
Old 20th March 2008, 13:13   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Er, Landmaster will do just fine thank you, el Kapaso.
Sir de Willy, please accept. Please call all the old ambassadors Landos. Please. It will sound so sweet.

I can imagine one HM Ambassador telling another "Oh come on!! Don't be such a Lando"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
TYPO??
EDIT!! lol

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 20th March 2008 at 13:15.
Old 20th March 2008, 13:18   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sir de Willy, please accept. Please call all the old ambassadors Landos. Please. It will sound so sweet.

I can imagine one HM Ambassador telling another "Oh come on!! Don't be such a Lando"
Sigh, ok, I will call Landmasters Landos (yuck!) in your honour. But I wont call old Ambassadors Landos as they are Ambassadors, so they will be called Ambys, unless thou haveth an issue there too.
Old 20th March 2008, 13:20   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sigh, ok, I will call Landmasters Landos (yuck!) in your honour.
Thank you Sir De Willy. Don't forget therefore, that the Ambassador is a Lando ki Aulad.
Quote:
so they will be called Ambys, unless thou haveth an issue there too.
Not me Sire, I have no issues. But Sahara might. They have a valley somewhere called that.
They might sue you, Sir De Willy. On the other hand, Sue might turn out to be pretty.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 20th March 2008 at 13:22.
Old 20th March 2008, 13:21   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Just for information - "there used to be" BML4275, a stately black Landmaster owned by the late Mrs.Piroja Dumasia of India Garage Dadar. Vispy Keikobad (Piroja's grandson and a good family friend) had it for many years. I had seen it in pristine condition as a child. A staff of India Garage Mr.Fardoonji used to look after it. Then it started to fall apart. It was lying in Dadar for almost 20 years. I saw the doors falling off, the floor crumbling etc. Now the property is sold, a big building will come up (tin sheets are already up) and there is no trace of the car. Sad but true. Sigh !

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 20th March 2008, 13:30   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Sir De Willy. Don't forget therefore, that the Ambassador is a Lando ki Aulad.
Not me Sire, I have no issues. But Sahara might. They have a valley somewhere called that.
They might sue you, Sir De Willy. On the other hand, Sue might turn out to be pretty.
I thought of that, but the term Amby for Ambassadors predates the Valley. The valley though is named after Ambegaon. Gee I hope Hindustan Motors arent in trouble for naming their flagship Babumobile after a village near Lonavala. But then again they probably got it from the Nash Ambassador of the 30s.

Now where does the famous Hotel and Restaurant fit into this mess you have created? Im outta here. Tata.

Oops, I hope Ratan wouldnt be upset to hear that.
Old 20th March 2008, 13:37   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm outta here. Tata.
Oops, I hope Ratan wouldnt be upset to hear that.
I know all Bawas are related, but I had no idea you were on first Name basis with RNT.

Now we had both better stop before punitive action is taken on our derrières. Mine is cuter than yours, though.

Back to the lovely gentlemen discussing the Oxford and what-not.
Old 22nd June 2010, 22:18   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Exactly, because we saw an Amby in Goa with an Oxford badge as well. Does that make it an Oxford?
Or can this one with the bull on its horn button parked now in my garage be called a Morris Oxford?
Morris Oxford...Beautiful-dsc04033.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 22nd June 2010 at 22:20.
Old 11th March 2011, 09:18   #30

Re: Morris Oxford...Beautiful

I love the look of the round shape of the Landy and earlier Morris Oxford, so much more classic than subsequent variants.

Any way to "modify" the rear of a newer Amby to remove the fins and Get that old rounded Landy look?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks