Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2010, 22:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
I used to visit Rupam Boring too, for machining jobs for my motorcycles years ago.
Regards
Boss those were days when mr.vora used to run the work shop Rupam Boring Works. There used to be a guy by name ALLWYN who was next to Mr.vora, today everything is finished they closed workshop many many years back due to heavy credit accounts of garage owners who did not pay them . Now after almost more then 20 years I could talk to ALLWYN he is somewhere in Mira Road and doing odd jobs.His best knowledge of mechanicals is being wasted .Now the place has original owner runing water pump bussiness from same place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sudarshan - the land rover of Mr.Dastoor was a 1969 registration vehicle, registered as MRD6135. It was immaculately kept. I used to see it everyday from my hall window as I stay in the next building (Dhun Villa). Mr.Dastoor was very careful in keeping MRD6135 very clean. His cleaning man's name was Tanu. I have seen Tanu on top of the Land Rover with Mr.Dastoor instructing him to clean the top properly. MRD6135 was grey with a cream top. The shades on top of the side windows were made at Amzel Auto Works, owned by Mr.Jangoo Sethna. The shades were finished in red oxide and were painted white after about a month "to allow the red oxide to become effective" is what Mr.Dastoor told me years back. Sadly, all 3 of them are no more and I do not know the present location of MRD6135. A silver coloured Norton / BSA or some such bike also used to stand at right angles in front of MRD6135. The bike is also not to be seen. A Honda / Skoda or some such thing stands there now. Sad.

Incidentally, Palia Mansion is known for its land rovers and old cars. Mr.Behram Kerawalla still stays there and he used to have these Land Rovers. I had seen a very old car parked in his garage in Palia Mansion. Once every year he used to take the car out, clean the garage and put the car in. I have not seen such activity happening in the last 10 years or so. I guess times have changed.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram bhai sahab, Mr. Dastoor loved his land rovers more then any thing else in life in those days of 70's. He had work shop manuals from england and he used to instruct the guys at Rupam Boring Works about accurate tollerances for crankshafts,pistons,camshafts,cylinder liners etc etc.according to this manuals.
He had his favourite mechanic a telugu guy I dont get his name who did work on all his vehicles.By nature Mr. Dastoor was a very nice person,I miss him very much.It was very exiting to see his landys being done up i front of our eyes.It is all over now.

Last edited by v12 : 21st April 2010 at 23:14.
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:29   #32
BANNED

Well Mr. Veerji times do change, old chaps leave & new guyes come in to picture. Things change & must change.
I am in my middle ages have seen many old guyes go & every day I see new ones take their place. But the Passion about the Gaddi ,remains the same. I personally feel that the New generation is much more enthusiastic,much more passionate (particularly in their 20s) ,They are Born Free.(when I see so many youngsters doing fantastic things in this forum, )
So much more to say ,but its never finished.
Old 29th December 2011, 17:04   #33
BHPian

Re: A couple of Land Rovers!!

here is a pic of my recent addition , its an original diesel all the functions working very well,all 5 tyres made in Australia, original paint very less driven ,its registered in India in 2009,
Attached Thumbnails
A couple of Land Rovers!!-img2011122702332.jpg  

A couple of Land Rovers!!-img2011122702333.jpg  

A couple of Land Rovers!!-img2011122702338.jpg  

A couple of Land Rovers!!-img2011122702339.jpg  

A couple of Land Rovers!!-img2011122702340.jpg  

A couple of Land Rovers!!-img2011122702341.jpg  

A couple of Land Rovers!!-img2011122702342.jpg  

A couple of Land Rovers!!-img2011122702343.jpg  

A couple of Land Rovers!!-img2011122702344.jpg  

A couple of Land Rovers!!-img2011122702345.jpg  

A couple of Land Rovers!!-img2011122702346.jpg  

A couple of Land Rovers!!-img2011122702348.jpg  

A couple of Land Rovers!!-img2011122702349.jpg  

A couple of Land Rovers!!-img2011122702350.jpg  

A couple of Land Rovers!!-img2011122702352.jpg  

A couple of Land Rovers!!-img2011122702353.jpg  

A couple of Land Rovers!!-img2011122702354.jpg  

A couple of Land Rovers!!-img2011122702356.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by inderpalgill : 29th December 2011 at 17:11. Reason: pictures didnt upload
inderpalgill is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 17:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Lovely and what series is this Landrover !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
here is a pic of my recent addition , its an original diesel all the functions working very well,all 5 tyres made in Australia, original paint very less driven ,its registered in India in 2009,
Old 29th December 2011, 17:42   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

very nice indeed!

You know, your wheel hub manufacturer "Fairey" used to make seaplanes and other sorts of aircraft in the UK in the First World War Period!

Quote:
Old 29th December 2011, 18:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Praji nice Landy there you got, you have a nick of finding these kind of automobiles. Just on equestion, this is an import, did it can under transfer of residence, and can the owner sell the vehicle further on.

Last edited by manishalive : 29th December 2011 at 18:44.
Old 29th December 2011, 18:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

Manish,

As I understand, there are no specific restrictions in place about selling a vehicle brought to India under TR (Transfer of Residence).

Usually the problems arise when some one who has been abroad say as a blue collar worker brings in a high value car (say a Landcruiser) and then reportedly sells it, that is when s__t hits the fan and all sorts of investigationa get under way by DRI etc.

If some one with a proven meanse owning the car abroad for at least one year and then bringing it to India, there are usually no issues even if he sells.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 29th December 2011 at 18:59.
Old 29th December 2011, 22:11   #38
BANNED

Quote:
here is a pic of my recent addition ,=== original paint very less driven ,,
is it realy in original paint ?
the body cappings are painted & so is the front bumper --- very unusual, they are galvanized & remain that way till they get rusted & then painted ( Will post pics of my Landy )

Also the rear quarter glass is in rubber grommet-- unusual for a series 3

Sudarshan
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:53   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
is it realy in original paint ?
the body cappings are painted & so is the front bumper --- very unusual, they are galvanized & remain that way till they get rusted & then painted ( Will post pics of my Landy )

Also the rear quarter glass is in rubber grommet-- unusual for a series 3

Sudarshan
sir, no its not the factory paint but the shade the body has been resprayed before it left uk in 2008,and since then the journey began,the LR was coming via Europe, Iran and finally entering India at Amritsar,where it was detained by customs, may be some reason that is not known,it was finally,auctioned at Amritsar customs where it got the Indian Registration and the new RC book stamped 2009,tax paid for 15 years and hence the fitness,from that owner she came to me .all the light fittings are Lucas stamped England,original Diesel and all 4wd working,iam now looking for the owners manual and workshop manual for better care of the car.mean time i will appreciate if some one helps me know the gears,how to operate the overdrive gear.and what is the function of yellow knob, and how to drive the car in 4X 2,when to come down and rotate the hubs,is there a diff lock?

Just on equestion, this is an import, did it can under transfer of residence, and can the owner sell the vehicle further on.

i don't think transferring will be a prob as the issuing authority is Amritsar and tax is paid for 15 years as lump sum tax, and no guidelines are seen on RC book reg reselling etc, i have given the set of papers for the transfer and hope things will work out well, will keep you updated.
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:50   #40
BANNED

Quote:
,iam now looking for the owners manual and workshop manual for better care of the car.mean time i will appreciate if some one helps me know the gears,how to operate the overdrive gear.and what is the function of yellow knob, and how to drive the car in 4X 2,when to come down and rotate the hubs,is there a diff lock?
regarding the shifting of 4 WD , I have answered your query in a post at the Land Rover Support Group ( here on BHP ) check this Post # 171

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...ml#post2630330

Quote:
Just on equestion, this is an import, did it can under transfer of residence, and can the owner sell the vehicle further on.

i don't think transferring will be a prob as the issuing authority is Amritsar and tax is paid for 15 years as lump sum tax, and no guidelines are seen on RC book reg reselling etc, i have given the set of papers for the transfer and hope things will work out well, will keep you updated.
will try my best to answer this ( in best of my capacity ) in a while

Sudarshan
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:50   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post

will try my best to answer this ( in best of my capacity ) in a while

Sudarshan
Hi Sudarshan,

The original question was from Manishlive, which I think Inderpal has answered (see the portion above in italics).

Hence, I think you need not answer again (saves your time )

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

ps. The pictorial on shifting in the other thread - simply excellent and straight forwrad
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 16:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

@ Inderpall Praji: thanks for the reply, I thought some one imported the vehicle from Uk. And also great to know that we get these classics too in auctions.

@Ram: thanks for clarification. Also I rememberd that I need to answer your query over PM. I will do right away. I had forgotten about it.
Old 29th August 2012, 19:57   #43
BANNED

One of the Land Rovers in the opening post visited my place , accompanied by its young owner , then my Landy also joined in for a chat .

So once again its 'A Couple of Land Rovers '

Mine ( with the winch ) is a Series 2a & this one is a Series 3

A couple of Land Rovers!!-dscn3547.jpg

A couple of Land Rovers!!-dscn3551.jpg

A couple of Land Rovers!!-dscn3554.jpg

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 20:17   #44
BANNED

The kind of nostalgia that a Land Rover triggers, to me, is not matched by a Land Cruiser.

Maybe it is the colonial effect, but what the heck, I m loving it.

@ Sudarshan: It is possible to source/get spares, especially the trim and mechanical parts for these vehicles?
Old 30th August 2012, 20:52   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

@ Sudarshan: It is possible to source/get spares, especially the trim and mechanical parts for these vehicles?

Have not faced much problems so far , Managed it with a Mixture of some DIY at machine shops & my own hobby workshop (including GB & Engine ), Some Indian alternative parts ( same spec ) & some direct Purchase . Ohh & Not to forget few good friends who helped along .

Its been 13 years owning different Land-rovers now & have learned to live with it ( My son once called me a scrap dealer )

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 30th August 2012 at 20:53.
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks