Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2008, 17:30   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Karl - there are 2 more vehicles like MH12W1480, guess where? You guessed right. One is an LHD 8 cylinder automatic, the other is a RHD 6 cylinder manual.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 25th July 2008, 23:10   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Dussey t sure is a 1960-61 Willys Jeep Station Wagon. It came in both 2 Wheel Drive and 4 wheel drive and as StationWagons, Sedan Delivery and Pickup versions. I had one till recently and gave it up due to lack of parking space. It has the same 4 Cylinder Hurricane engine with a three speed box.
M&M again reintroduced the Station Wagon in a two tone colour with the same Hurricane engine in 1978.The bodyshell had no frills, chrome as in the original.It was not the same old and aesthetic bodyshell. The chassis ,suspension and wheels were the same but the body looked quite shabby. It only had the Mahindra name on the front grille.
Anjan. Just for posterity, any pics of the Mahindra version. I have never seen any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Wow man, they sure look love-lyyyy!!
The first one is similar to the junked one found in a school compound here.

I feel I must go try and save that one!!

First time I'm seeing one of these with the hubcaps I think!
Hi Stanher, The hubcaps came in the two wheel drive versions as the hubs never jutted out like the 4 wheel drive versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
There is a Mitsubishi similar to the one you've posted running around daily in Pune, with an 80s Bombay MFC regn.
Just curious. What engine (orginal) does it have? Can you find out?
Petrol Mitsubishi J3R (Jap verson of the CJ3B), or Mitsubishi Diesel?

Last edited by GTO : 26th July 2008 at 12:53. Reason: Please use the EDIT / Multi-Quote facility instead of posting one message after another.
Old 26th July 2008, 00:01   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Karl - there are 2 more vehicles like MH12W1480, guess where? You guessed right. One is an LHD 8 cylinder automatic, the other is a RHD 6 cylinder manual.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Are you talking about the cars that havent been used in a really really long time?? The ones near the orange car??
Old 8th August 2008, 21:45   #34

Saw this queer looking Jeep. Can anyone fill me in on the details please. Looks like a CJ3b with an extended body.
Attached Thumbnails
What Jeep is this??-dsc02568.jpg  

What Jeep is this??-dsc02569.jpg  

Old 10th August 2008, 15:17   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Saw this queer looking Jeep. Can anyone fill me in on the details please. Looks like a CJ3b with an extended body.
These extentions were made in the '60 for extra space in short chassis jeeps. The same tailgate was used.
Old 13th September 2008, 23:14   #36
BHPian

willys station wagon.

cyrus i am looking forwillys station wagon is this green and golden one for sale ??

Quote:
Found this Jeep in Hindu Colony Matunga. I take that road often but never knew it existed!! Check it out. Gogi, What is it??
Old 14th September 2008, 13:03   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh this is a very common bodywork on CJs. I was under the impression that even the later willys jeeps had this kind of extension. Maybe I'm wrong?
Old 11th January 2009, 18:22   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

'saw this complete but Dieselised! Willys 4wd having it's brakes repaired at a garage yesterday. The garage owner is a kindly old-timer, who's knowledgeable about many classics, including a Daimler that belonged to Ashok Kumar (actor) that he'd brought to running condition- it was sent down to hyd., fixed by him and driven back to Bombay!
Is the speedometer original to this vehicle??

What Jeep is this??-img_2130.jpg

What Jeep is this??-img_2131.jpg

What Jeep is this??-img_2132.jpg

What Jeep is this??-img_2133.jpg

What Jeep is this??-img_2134.jpg

What Jeep is this??-img_2135.jpg

What Jeep is this??-img_2136.jpg

What Jeep is this??-img_2137.jpg

What Jeep is this??-img_2138.jpg

What Jeep is this??-img_2139.jpg
Old 12th January 2009, 08:39   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shyam - the station wagon posted by you above is in surprisingly original. The speedometer is original too. By the way, when I was a trainee in 1980, there used to be MRX8592, a blue station wagon used by the then GM(R&D) Mr.S.Ramachandran (he was known as RC in the company) and was driven by his driver Achuten. It was maintained by our workshop in Kandivli. Alas, nothing to be seen now.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 12th January 2009, 21:48   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
'saw this complete but Dieselised! Willys 4wd having it's brakes repaired at a garage yesterday. The garage owner is a kindly old-timer, who's knowledgeable about many classics, including a Daimler that belonged to Ashok Kumar (actor) that he'd brought to running condition- it was sent down to hyd., fixed by him and driven back to Bombay!
Is the speedometer original to this vehicle??
Wow, I cant belive how well this Jeep is preserved! I cant believe it has been dieselised. Petrol engine around? This is too good to waste. The meter is definitely original, though I remember them having "JEEP" script in the centre.

The owner should have many interesting photos to share. You know what to do!
Old 12th January 2009, 23:39   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The owner should have many interesting photos to share. You know what to do!
Indeed!

He did say I'm welcome to meet him anytime I could. He appears to know about cars tucked away in certain areas of Hyd. that I've been to often but didn't know about!
Old 13th January 2009, 13:38   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shyam - the station wagon posted by you above is in surprisingly original. The speedometer is original too. By the way, when I was a trainee in 1980, there used to be MRX8592, a blue station wagon used by the then GM(R&D) Mr.S.Ramachandran (he was known as RC in the company) and was driven by his driver Achuten. It was maintained by our workshop in Kandivli. Alas, nothing to be seen now.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
If I remember correct. Mahindra's had imported the discarded body shop dies of this model station wagon in late '70s. They wanted to produce them here, but dropped the idea in the following years. Thats how they had a couple of them running with their senior officers. There used to be one Mr. Datar in sales, and Mr. Pitamber thru whom we were to get one of these once they were launched.
Old 13th January 2009, 15:14   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
If I remember correct. Mahindra's had imported the discarded body shop dies of this model station wagon in late '70s. They wanted to produce them here, but dropped the idea in the following years. Thats how they had a couple of them running with their senior officers. There used to be one Mr. Datar in sales, and Mr. Pitamber thru whom we were to get one of these once they were launched.
Hi Scooby,

I think that you may be mixing up 2 models, this one which is a much earlier model and was actively seen in the 1960's, tapering off in the early 1970's. The model which was seen with the Mahindra officials was the Wagoneer. From my place I could look into the compound of Sahil on Altamount Road where one of the top guns of Mahindra used to stay. For some time his daily driver was a Wagoneer, light blue/green in colour. I understand that it is still lying in the Kandivali plant. This was the Wagoneer with the horizontal grill, there was another model with a square grill.
These Jeep Wagoneers came in huge numbers to India as US Embassy /consulate cars and also as United Nations Vehicles. When their term was over they were dieselised in Rajkot where this had become an industry.
Old 13th January 2009, 15:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi Scooby,

I think that you may be mixing up 2 models, this one which is a much earlier model and was actively seen in the 1960's, tapering off in the early 1970's. The model which was seen with the Mahindra officials was the Wagoneer. From my place I could look into the compound of Sahil on Altamount Road where one of the top guns of Mahindra used to stay. For some time his daily driver was a Wagoneer, light blue/green in colour. I understand that it is still lying in the Kandivali plant. This was the Wagoneer with the horizontal grill, there was another model with a square grill.
These Jeep Wagoneers came in huge numbers to India as US Embassy /consulate cars and also as United Nations Vehicles. When their term was over they were dieselised in Rajkot where this had become an industry.
Sir, I was also at Sai Manzil/Giriraj at Altamount road in the '60s. My office is still next to Mahindras HQ and in fact they also occupy 2 floors in our office building. Neway, I understand that the station wagon dies were bought by Mahindras long after production stopped in America, at scrap value, in '70 in the hope of building these as people carriers for the military. Was it from Kaiser corp at that time. Mahindras had problems with clearance and the toolings were in the docks for 5 years. Somehow after clearance some trials were done, but was too late and obsolete to produce or introduce in the market since the Wagoneers were already around. I will try and get some details and revert though. Someone from Mahindras in the early '70s will surely confirm this. The owner of Metro motors would know too.[the old man]
Old 20th January 2009, 13:50   #45
BHPian

isnt this called a wagoneer?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks