Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2008, 22:58   #1

Need Help Standard Herald

Hi Guys,
Just bought a Standard Herald and need some help. If you can advice me on where I can buy a few things as I am starting to renovate my Herald :
  1. Convertible top for a herald.
  2. Anybody who would have a twin carb manifold for the herald.
  3. Spoke rims.
  4. Any mods or recommendations if available could be done to make the rear axle reliable and stronger (or recommend a mechanic who is familiar with the heralds and work on it) as I remember, the Heralds were used for racing.
  5. Rear tail light covers.
  6. A hood (bonnet) and the trunk (dickey) from the first herald that was produced. I donot mind trading the ones that I own. The sheet metal on both the lids are in very good condition with no rust or dings at all.
Thanks a lot. It would be a great help.

Cheers

cheers:

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2008 at 14:57.
Old 10th September 2008, 15:07   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

No expert with vintage cars, but I think you ought to visit Mumbai's Chor Bazaar (or equivalent in Delhi). Get the convertible top custom made.

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2008 at 15:11.
Old 10th September 2008, 19:13   #3
BHPian

I am quite familar with Heralds,having rallied in seventies. I now own a Triumph Herald 1250. Answers to your questions
1) Hood-Make one from British Herald photos
2) Twin Carb manifold -Hard to find, make one but for which Carbs?
3) Wire Wheels-Import only choice
4) Not much can be done. The inherent suspension design is not good
5) Import Tail lamp lenses
6) Try Bhpians,if any one is willing to trade in.
Old 10th September 2008, 22:29   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captag1 View Post
If you can advice me on where I can buy a few things as I am starting to renovate my Herald :
  2. Any mods or recommendations if available could be done to make the rear axle reliable and stronger (or recommend a mechanic who is familiar with the heralds and work on it) as I remember, the Heralds were used for racing.
  3. A hood (bonnet) and the trunk (dickey) from the first herald that was produced. I donot mind trading the ones that I own. The sheet metal on both the lids are in very good condition with no rust or dings at all.
Firstly, welcome aboard! Its great to have another herald/standard enthusiast here for a change! No offence meant to others!

1. As for the convertible top, my sincere advice is IF your car is a very original and decent one (pics. would be possible to upload here once you're a regular member I guess) DONT go for such a mod job!
These cars are getting rarer by the day and the more original they are kept, the more recognition they get as classics.
But if you really are keen and/or if your herald isnt original/pristine enough to lose its 'virgnity' in this regard, you could get in touch with clubs like the TSSC tssc - Welcome to the Triumph Sports Six Club. and even the Yahoo! triumph_herald group where you can get free advice and guidance on this.
But remember its VERY DIFFICULT to make a PROPER convertible out of a herald in India, considering they were not known to be officially mass-produced here, although a very few were converted to soft-tops accordingly by erstwhile dealers back in the day- I know of 2 such heralds existing here (see pics.) They both are standard heralds with just "Triumph" badging!

Need Help Standard Herald-img_0301.jpg

Need Help Standard Herald-img_0303.jpg

Need Help Standard Herald-cabrio.jpg

Need Help Standard Herald-img_0831.jpg

Apart from these, NONE of the convertible mods Iv seen on heralds are worth even looking at! Most of the mechanics who do these dont have the closest idea to what a proper herald convertible looks like and Ive lately seen a few otherwise complete cars sadly disfigured with improper soft-tops!

2. Rear axle can be strengthened by using TVS lock-nut bolts. These can be had quite easily and reduce the tension of the rear axle breaking down considerably.
Some people in the past used to modify the while thing by fitting a standard 10 rigid rear axle and leaf-springs. But that gave the car a higher, ungraceful stance at the rear, and also makes turning a real pain!

3. As for the bonnet and dicky, do you mean you want those from a mk1 herald? So is yours a later mk2 model then? Only those had the different bonnet and bootlid. Chances of finding these are far and few, maybe best to buy a whole parts car for it.

Last edited by Stanher : 10th September 2008 at 22:33.
Old 10th September 2008, 23:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
Just bought a Standard Herald and need some help. If you can advice me on where I can buy a few things as I am starting to renovate my Herald :
  3. Spoke rims.
  4. Any mods or recommendations if available could be done to make the rear axle reliable and stronger (or recommend a mechanic who is familiar with the heralds and work on it) as I remember, the Heralds were used for racing.
  6. A hood (bonnet) and the trunk (dickey) from the first herald that was produced. I donot mind trading the ones that I own. The sheet metal on both the lids are in very good condition with no rust or dings at all.

Cheers

cheers:
Regarding converting your Hearald into a Convertiable, I agree with Stanher, please try and keep the car as original as possible. Regarding Spokes/Wire wheels, the best source is Wheels India Ltd. Chennai. You need to give them one rim of your car for them to ascertain the correct PCD. They normally deliver within two/three weeks.

S.B.Jatti.
Old 10th September 2008, 23:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
Regarding converting your Hearald into a Convertiable, I agree with Stanher, please try and keep the car as original as possible. Regarding Spokes/Wire wheels, the best source is Wheels India Ltd. Chennai. You need to give them one rim of your car for them to ascertain the correct PCD. They normally deliver within two/three weeks.

S.B.Jatti.
Wheels India Makes Custom wheels?? Not that I know of!
Old 10th September 2008, 23:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Wheels India Makes Custom wheels?? Not that I know of!
Yes. I have purchased over twenty sets, mostly for Classic Cars. They export Wire Wheels to the West and many people who are not aware buy them from UK at three times the price.
S.B.Jatti.
Old 11th September 2008, 02:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes Cyrus, they do make custom sets at times.
Old 11th September 2008, 05:52   #9

Hello,
Guys thanks a lot for all the info. Thanks Stanher and I think I will stick with your advice on keeping her original but still like the MK I style. I have been driving her regularly and she runs fine. Since I have just moved to Delhi I am going to ship the car right now to get her painted this week from Chennai to S'cruz,Bombay. If you guys come across a MK-I parts car, i will pick it up as the one I have is a 1968. I was thinking of puting 2 gypsy carbs on her and will be talking to Mahesh in B'bay if he could help me out. I have heard of other guys named Vicky and Christy in Bangalore who have been working on heralds. Has anybody dealt with them? I will post the pictures of my toys once I am given the permission from Team-BHP. Will keep you guys posted on the renovation of my herald.

Cheers
Old 11th September 2008, 08:04   #10
BHPian

Wheels India, in Chennai makes custom wheels for many classic vehicles. UK is their main market.
I been to their factory, they also have adapter or system to fix any type of wheels. Better visit them with one sent of wheel and wheel hub and decide what to buy.

Wheels India Limited

Call them and see what they say

cheers
Old 11th September 2008, 13:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
  3. Spoke rims.

Cheers

cheers:

You are right the Heralds were used for racing and i can state that with authority having had the fastest cars for over a decade. The suspension and rear axle has to be modified to a split type rear which will fit in the existing space with no external modification. It used be marketed by British Leyland racing and SAH as "Tite-a -turn" kit in the early 70's. I have this on my car and is absolutely trouble free and can handle upto 150bhp. This also provides for some fanatstic handling. I have sent you a PM regarding the race parts.
Old 12th September 2008, 00:58   #12

[quote=girishpv;972949]Wheels India, in Chennai makes custom wheels for many classic vehicles. UK is their main market.
I been to their factory, they also have adapter or system to fix any type of wheels. Better visit them with one sent of wheel and wheel hub and decide what to buy.

Wheels India Limited

cheers

Thanks a lot Girish, I appreciate it. I will take a set of wheels and will have the herald with me too when i go and visit them in Chennai this coming week.
cheers:
Old 12th September 2008, 12:47   #13
BHPian

[quote=captag1;974254]
Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Wheels India, in Chennai makes custom wheels for many classic vehicles. UK is their main market.

Wheels India Limited

cheers

Thanks a lot Girish, I appreciate it. I will take a set of wheels and will have the herald with me too when i go and visit them in Chennai this coming week.
cheers:
You do-not need to take one set of wheels. All they want is one origianl rim, with one nut or stud whatever is applicable. The rim is required for measuring the correct PCD and the wheel nut / stud for them to see the size and thread, enabling them to make the same in Chrome Finish.

S.B.Jatti
Old 12th September 2008, 18:38   #14
BHPian

[quote=S.B.Jatti;974678]
Quote:
You do-not need to take one set of wheels. All they want is one origianl rim, with one nut or stud whatever is applicable. The rim is required for measuring the correct PCD and the wheel nut / stud for them to see the size and thread, enabling them to make the same in Chrome Finish.

S.B.Jatti
I used to be under the impression that they converted your old rims into wire-wheels and then chromed them. It's so much nicer if they cast fresh ones as that leaves the old ones intact. Costs about 30 odd K on an average for the set, right?
Old 12th September 2008, 18:52   #15
BHPian

Just give the Wheels India, the rim size & vehicle application. They may have the herald size in their range.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks