Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2008, 22:36   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post

All this about the seep, theer was only 1 other small amphibion(jeep size) during the war,and that was the German Schwimmenwagen Type 166(the russian gaz was made much after the war). Designed by ferdinand porsche, and the first units being built just by porsche, then later manufactured jointly by volkswagon, and it indeed shared quite a lot with the volkswagon drivetrain components,as it was a direct decendent of the Kublewagon(but unlike the kubelwagon, it had 4wheeldrive).

Production never exceeded more than about 30000 examples,jointly by both the companies, as a result of heavy allied bombarding of its production facilities. Also the fact that they both were not practical amphibious patrol vehicles as a single well placed shot by a sniper was enough to cause problems both for the seep and the Schwimmenwagen, so theywere used only as official cars, the former duties being preformed much better by the bigger amphibions. Nevertheless, it had abundant technological leaps(what else would you expect from germans). I

t had independent suspension all around,by way of torsion bars and swinging mounts(like used on the latest autorickshaws), which jeeps dont have even till now, and it preformed way better than the seep, being almost as capable as the jeep, if not better. Only about a 100 example are left now, with the porsche examples being extremely rare. Someone told me a few years ago that an old sikh gentleman,retired from the army and settled down in Karnal, Haryana, has the only other existing example in Asia(the first one is in China). He also happens to have a Haflinger, an Indian scout and a chief, besides a Rolls Royce merlin66(V12,27 liter, supercharged, 2600Hp@2500rpm)motor from a supermarine spitfire(really want to make a buggy around that motor,whos with me???). Even though i heard hes not restored anything, nor desires to, but neither is he willing to sell them. I tried a lot but i still have not been able to locate him until now.
You mean a Schwimmwagen possibly exists in Haryana? Unbelievable.

Here's one I shot in Germany, 2005. A most endearing vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevy pickup 52-schwimm01.jpg  

Old 26th September 2008, 00:13   #17
BHPian

Thats what i heard from an uncles who is into the restoration business. And since i also heard of it from about half a dozen other sources means its most likely true.
Old 26th September 2008, 10:45   #18
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the harmonic balancing of a straight 6 is a lot better, resulting in a butter smooth motor, and also being the least noisy of all types of motors(although some say straight8's were more smooth, but i would not comment on that as i have never driven a straight8).
True this has always been maintained that harmonically balancing a six is a lot easier as the primary and secondary vibrations apparently cancel themselves out. Straight eights were more difficult to balance and Packard used a counter balance weight on the crank to iron out the vibrations, making it a silk smooth engine. But like you say 6's and V12's are ideally more refined. V8's are inherently imbalanced, but!!

Quote:
The V8 has only one big advantage from a straight8, and that is,it can pack in big capacities in small packings, and leaving that alone, a pushrod V8 creates the most wonderful music.
Apart from the above there's also the torque characteristics of a V config. V config engines pull like tractors. Immense low end torque.

I love the sound of V8's. My V4 VFR is a aural delight under hard acceleration. Nothing comes close to the aural delight of the induction growl of a V config engine. That burble ranks with Mozart and Beethoven
Old 26th September 2008, 12:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Brutus thats an amazing writeup you gave us. The stories actually made my day. WIll read it thoroughly again. Loved the story of the seep being tested in a canal. Looking for more
Old 26th September 2008, 13:09   #20
BHPian

Hi Brutus, nice reminiscence there - made for very interesting reading
Quote:
He also happens to have a Haflinger, an Indian scout and a chief, besides a Rolls Royce merlin66(V12,27 liter, supercharged, 2600Hp@2500rpm)motor from a supermarine spitfire(really want to make a buggy around that motor,whos with me???)
Whoa ! An RR Merlin, from a Spitfire no less. That engine's a legend & deserves better than a buggy don't you think ? I have a workshop manual for the 61, 63, 66,... series engines somewhere *scratching head* (bought off the Web) !
Quote:
It is a Russian BTR-70 amphibious . It was lying in a Junkyard in Phathankot, where i had gone to search for a few Jonga parts, standing alongside a T55 Main battle tank.
All this said and done, he kabardi walla was in a dire need of money so he quoted Rs 5lakhs
5 lakhs for a BTR-70, I would've bought it in a blink (although I guess I would've realized my folly the first time I drove it to a fill-up). My dad was with HVF & later EFA in the early 90's. So during my school & college days, the weekends were spent at the nearby trial grounds hoping to catch the T72s being tested And having witnessed a night-time laser range finder test first-hand, I can vouch for the power of those lamps (the HIDs we talk of today couldn't hold a candle to these lights).

Looking forward to more stories from you...

Last edited by im_srini : 26th September 2008 at 13:11.
Old 26th September 2008, 16:46   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Buddy please restore this truck to its original glory. I didnt even know that there was a Chevy pick up in Chandigarh.
I didnt even know there was a chevy pickup in INDIA!

Lovely vehicle, that one!! Yes, cant wait to see her restored to glory!

Isnt importing a used engine legally impossible though?
Old 26th September 2008, 17:41   #22
BHPian

You are one lucky guy brutus! Can't wait to see the Chevy back in its glory!

Man I absolutely loved your narration! Hey any other info about the hidden gems in Faridkot collection?
Old 26th September 2008, 19:20   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Since we are on the topic of strange military jeeps in India, can someone tell us more about this contraption in Goa?
Attached Thumbnails
Chevy pickup 52-11.jpg  

Old 26th September 2008, 22:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

In all probability its a DKW Munga. The merc star seems like an add on. I have a picture from my trump card game, will fish it out post it soon.
Old 26th September 2008, 22:41   #25
BHPian

Well i too could'nt find anything about it. Theres one standing in chandigarh, but its without the motor(i think so but not sure) and is FOR SALE. The owner tells me these were basically something inbetween the G-wagen and the unimog. Says he bought it from an Indian Army auction.

And yes it does share a lot with the Mercedes G5, including the almost identical independent suspension all around, so probably its the next model, and the forefather of the G-wagen.

And by the way thanx a lot guys, for everything.
I will try and post some stories sooner or later. As for the Chevy, I think it going to rest for some time until i finish with my Jonga project, which too is on standby mode now as i have more stuff to finish off with first.
As for importing a engine, ireally dont know but i dont think if i order it in parts, its going to be illegal.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th September 2008 at 00:35. Reason: Posts Merged.
Old 27th September 2008, 00:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Since we are on the topic of strange military jeeps in India, can someone tell us more about this contraption in Goa?
Here you go, Karl - The DKW Munga. It's clasified as a "Light four wheel drive general utility vehicle".
Attached Thumbnails
Chevy pickup 52-munga.jpg  

Old 27th September 2008, 11:15   #27
BHPian

Nice bit of machinery there, Brutus.

There used to be a Chevy pick-up in Delhi too, seen till about three-four years ago. Last seen at a workshop, having just moved from another one. Was very original and running till the rehab started!
Old 27th September 2008, 20:08   #28
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Sometime ago i saw a magazine (maybe overdrive) that had a picture of a pickup modified by one of those music system companies standing in the Auto expo. I don’t remember correctly, but i think it was a chevy of about the same age. Anyways, there’s a dodge pickup (same ago) standing in the punjab engineering college ,chandigarh and is up for grabs, but not a pretty good sight i must say, coz its been lying around neglected for quite some time.
Here a picture of my favorite chevy, which I have collected over a couple of years, and if I do Bomb my chevy, it would look were much like this.

Here’s an example of an off-road version, with about 38” tall tires.

Old 29th September 2008, 13:01   #29
BANNED

DKW Munga

@Karlos: Thats the DKW Munga - its an acronym of the German phrase "Mehrzweck UNiversal Geländewagen mit Allradantrieb", which translated means, "Multi purpose Universal Cross-country Car with AWD" .

Wikipedia: DKW Munga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The guy doesnt know a mercedes from an Audi, but sadly has a good collection.

Some more pics of the same:
Attached Thumbnails
Chevy pickup 52-dsc02249.jpg  

Chevy pickup 52-dsc02248.jpg  

Old 21st October 2008, 19:01   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Some comments from Harit.

Quote:
Mr. Prabal had commented about another Chevy pickup being around.
In all the years of collecting and spotting cars, I have seen very few pick-ups. There is an early Chevy in Indore there are Fords but very few. So I attach the pics of two pick-ups, one a Chevy which I saw in a rally in Delhi and the second a Ford being left to rot. Have a good look.
The Chevy was thrown out from the vintage rally where it had come and the owner was quite hurt. If I remember, it was a Sikh gentleman, who was an official of that club conducting the rally or he was from Statesman. This Delhi folks will have to comment on. But the sheer and total arrogance of that man was amazing, making nasty comments even as cars were flagged off. It was horrible. And look at the pick-up. Probably ( I say this cautiously because someone may know of another) the only one in India and in good condition.
Then there is this Ford, sad to be going into the ground. That Ford has other cars lying around and don't ask for clarifications. This picture is about 8 years old, so probably it may have sunk a little more into the ground.
Hope you enjoy
Harit
Chevy pickup 52-01.jpg
Chevy pickup 52-02.jpg

Harit I know of one more 50's pickup in Pune, memory tells me it was a Chevy, black or very dark blue. She had even come to a rally in Pune around 98-99-00, and if Im not mistaken entered by a well known and respected Parsi family. I recently saw what is probably the same truck sitting in the corner of a bungalow. Then my neighbour once told me he has an early low light Ford F 100 in scrap condition in Hyderabad, and he was planning to dieselize it. Plus on a recent trip a few hours outside Pune I saw a genuine 50's Willys pick up lying in junk state. Im told it doesn't have the genuine engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks