Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2008, 13:08   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Suren, can your chap locate me handle bar grips and a side foot rest like that?
Shall ask hillram to check with the mechanic since I have misplaced his number. One thing for sure is, the grips he did say that he would not be able to locate (hillram did ask him when we were taking delivery). The side footrest is something hillram might be able to find out about.

Karl while at it, could you take a snap of the speedo on your scooter and post it here? Mine has a Bajaj speedo and is not the original. Would like to see if I could hunt for one.
Old 27th November 2008, 14:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Karl,Suren...checked about Handle grips and Footrest..Both can be purchased from a guy in Secunderabad..I will let you know the prices by tomorrow.

Karl..make that 2 Speedometeres if you can..i need one for my Vespa too.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th November 2008 at 14:43. Reason: see note in post
Old 27th November 2008, 22:41   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Karl while at it, could you take a snap of the speedo on your scooter and post it here? Mine has a Bajaj speedo and is not the original. Would like to see if I could hunt for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Karl..make that 2 Speedometeres if you can..i need one for my Vespa too.
Here is my meter, also with the Bajaj logo on it.

Vespa & Lambretta Collection in Hyderabad-14.jpg

I too thought it was not original, but a senior restorer confirmed with me that in 63 this very same meter was offered. Since everything else on the scoot is largely untouched, I dont have reason to doubt him. The bill of sale of my scoot has Bajaj prominently on the letter head.

62 possibly had black VDO units, similar in size. Prior to that were the larger units with piaggio script on them

Vespa & Lambretta Collection in Hyderabad-vespa04.jpg
Vespa & Lambretta Collection in Hyderabad-meter.jpg
Old 24th December 2008, 11:49   #19
BHPian

A small update: I have begun using my Vespa as my daily ride, starting today. I just loved the drone of the silencer as it constantly revs even with the hand off of the accelerator.

Got my tyres changed today to Ceat Securas, the ones on the scooter were pathetic and offered a really scary ride when it came to riding on bad roads.

There is one small thing that nags me though: Is it normal for the Handlebar (front Fork) to have a slight shaking movement when it is driven in slightly higher speeds? This was very much pronounced when the tyres were not changed. After the tyre change it has reduced considerably. My mechanic feels it is Ok, but I just want to make sure that it is Ok to be so.

Mods can we have this Whole thread moved to the Post 1950 Section of the Vintage thread since all discussion is of Classics, for I see not much of Interaction when it is in the Motorbikes thread?
Old 24th December 2008, 12:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Suren and Hillram, You continue to enthuse!! Wow classic pieces you have there!

I am still to overcome my hangover of Ram's Corolla!! AWESOME!
Old 24th December 2008, 12:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Suren and Hillram, You continue to enthuse!! Wow classic pieces you have there!

I am still to overcome my hangover of Ram's Corolla!! AWESOME!
Thank you for the compliments Shrikanth and yes I am truly loving the Vespa, The engine is a dream and the drone is to die for. Am looking to buy an Open face helmet though since the closed face helmet that I have drowns the drone of the engine.

Ram's Corolla Sigh, how true, it really is a beauty and definitely stood out in FK's parking lot, and how.

John Keats was definitely right in writing "A thing of beauty is a joy forever".

Last edited by suren181 : 24th December 2008 at 12:43.
Old 24th December 2008, 12:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yes Sir, my two and hundred cents too!!
Old 24th December 2008, 12:59   #23
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is one small thing that nags me though: Is it normal for the Handlebar (front Fork) to have a slight shaking movement when it is driven in slightly higher speeds?
This happens on account of imbalance in tyres. Unfortunately I don't think we have a commercially available tyre balancer with a smaller spindle to handle two wheeler tyres. I face this problem on my VFR (albeit very very slight) following a tyre change
Old 24th December 2008, 13:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
This happens on account of imbalance in tyres. Unfortunately I don't think we have a commercially available tyre balancer with a smaller spindle to handle two wheeler tyres. I face this problem on my VFR (albeit very very slight) following a tyre change
Thanks for the valuable input DKG, lemme check what my mechanic can do about it. Worst case scenario a change of the rims (to new ones) would do, I hope.
Old 24th December 2008, 14:05   #25
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Worst case scenario a change of the rims (to new ones) would do, I hope.
Unless the rims had suffered damage there shouldn't be any reason to change them. Also even with a new rim imbalance can occur as the tyre often is not even in weight. Balancing is the only solution else we just need to live with that slight wobble.
Old 24th December 2008, 14:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

Suren,Get Surya
The feeling of immnese joy when i drive/ride these beauties is awesome.I dont even get such kicks in a modern car.Its something to die for.
Old 24th December 2008, 14:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hillram I agree. After meeting die hard vintage enthusiasts like you and Suren, I have gone back to the people I have sold my Yamaha Rx 100(Black) 1990 make!!( My graduation days!!) I would be glad to get it back in any form and restore it.( ah my pleasure, it would be!)
Old 13th February 2009, 21:58   #28
BHPian

I have a friend of mine who is coming from UK and has agreed to carry some parts for my 1963 vespa.

while browsing ebay, i came across many accessories for the vespa and one of such was the flyscreen for which the pix is attached.

I need to know if you would think, this will fit the vespas that were sold in India and also if any one knows what was the vespa 150 model known in the UK market?

Does anyone know a source for the floor trims, like the one is pix posted by Karl?
Attached Thumbnails
Vespa & Lambretta Collection in Hyderabad-1602240913728080_6.jpg  

Last edited by srisha : 13th February 2009 at 22:01. Reason: forgot the attachment
Old 13th February 2009, 22:43   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srisha View Post
I need to know if you would think, this will fit the vespas that were sold in India and also if any one knows what was the vespa 150 model known in the UK market?
As the vespas even in India were basically Italian initially, it should fit by all means.
Also, wasn't Vespa 150, the "home-market" name used everywhere?
Old 2nd June 2009, 23:10   #30
BHPian

i am looking for lambretta gp 200 which come same like vijai super but model year is 1969 to 1971 any leads will be appreciated as i want to add this model in my collection of rare italian lambrettas.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks