Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2008, 15:34   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Dude you bought a car in 14 minutes!!! it takes me longer to pick a bottle of whiskey!
You shouldnt tell people you're a sardar. >14 minutes to pick a bottle of whiskey?

I think a clarification is required since most people seem to think I'm some kind of profligate bourgeois: The 'Bug Fiat' (popular in Kerala by that name, I understand its called Dukkar elsewhere) was next on my list in any case after the Landmaster. Seeing an example in this condition only made me speed up my decision, and besides that it seemed like a perfect antidote to the poison I had to endure with the Landmaster rebuild. I really needed to see a proper, working car in the garage after all these months of frustration - that alone was worth 1.5.

For those in doubt, let me assure you that it would more than that to buy a Bug for 40-60k and rebuild it to this condition with all the original stuff in it. This is not taking into account the effort involved in chasing up the garage, having to deal with slimy characters in between and tearing most of your hair out in the process. That is worth more than another 1.5. Therefore I think this is a decent deal.

A year and 1/4th after I bought the Landmaster, I will hopefully have a working classic at home. Nevermind if it isnt the car I set out to rebuild - this one is in much better shape than I can ever hope to get the Land into.

Now we can take our own sweet time with the Landy and allow it to be stripped and put together properly.

And my dad can still drive around in a working classic.

Last edited by Steeroid : 24th November 2008 at 15:49.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2008, 15:38   #47
Senior - BHPian

Steer congrats !! The car simply looks fantabulous, I don't know a jack about these Dukkar Fiats but have grown up seeing one with my neighbor.

Good luck and I pray this time around no damned mechanic/garage touches this.
Old 24th November 2008, 15:39   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dude Steer!! Dude you bought a car in 14 minutes!!! it takes me longer to pick a bottle of whiskey!
The guy who bought my Baleno did something similar. He came all the way from Bangalore carrying a demand-draft in my name, drove the car for less than 5 minutes and then handed over the DD. Yeah, it was a Team-BHPian.
Old 24th November 2008, 15:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
You shouldnt tell people you're a sardar. >14 minutes to pick a bottle of whiskey?
LOL. Only a blind person wont believe me if i told him i am not a sardar. I think he would probably have to be deaf too.

Yeah i go into a liquor store thinking this time i will buy the good old, old monk. You know, best bang for 160 - 180 bucks. But then my eyes wander towards the whiskey section, and little further if there is a Jack Daniels on the shelf. The rest of the time goes into convincing myself to settle for Vat69
Old 24th November 2008, 15:48   #50
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Steer on this beauty ! A true classic it looks.

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 24th November 2008 at 15:50.
Old 24th November 2008, 15:55   #51
BHPian

Congrats Steer! You deserved this beauty.
Old 24th November 2008, 15:58   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 'Bug Fiat' (popular in Kerala by that name, I understand its called Dukkar elsewhere)
Steer, the bug fiat was the Fiat 500, the dukkars were known as 'Italian Fiats' here!

I agree with u completely on the price part, an original car will cost around 60K here, add 30-35K for a paintjob depending on the rust, 5K for chrome etc, 10K for a complete interior job, another5k for knik-knacks, some more for the missing parts, some may be impossible to find, some more cash to remove any 'modifications' done to the car previously, and the time, effort etc will amount to way more than what u spent for this one!

Last edited by JayD : 24th November 2008 at 16:00.
Old 24th November 2008, 16:11   #53
BHPian

Quote:
A year and 1/4th after I bought the Landmaster, I will hopefully have a working classic at home. Nevermind if it isnt the car I set out to rebuild - this one is in much better shape than I can ever hope to get the Land into.
Now we can take our own sweet time with the Landy and allow it to be stripped and put together properly.
If there is a will, there is a way... man!!

Mechanically, Landy is shaping up slowly as seen in your dreams. Am very confident of making it an equally good 'reliable working classic'!
After all the planned works, sure, you will be a proud owner of 2 unique classics!
Big salute for that last line!!
cheers:

Last edited by nikkibike : 24th November 2008 at 16:14.
Old 24th November 2008, 16:16   #54
BHPian

Steer, been trying to not post a repeated message on this thred but can't help it

Everytime I come back to the thread and take a look at that car, only one thought comes to my mind... Life has it's ups and downs and now is the time for you to enjoy something nice, for a change. You some how seem to have this thing with luck where first bad luck strikes you and then you find something better than planned/imagined. Same as what happened with the Chevy block and then the Jaguar.

Anyone who thinks you just got lucky with the dukkar, does not know the complete story. You deserved something as good as this. Cannot wait to see it in person. Congrats on the buy and hope your Dad has good fun with this as it may also be easier for him to drive around (when he can/wants to).

Last edited by quicksilver : 24th November 2008 at 16:17.
Old 24th November 2008, 16:47   #55
BHPian

@Amitoj - Steer spends too much time drinking for him to think about buying them. His mantra , when in doubt buy all the bottles and drink them up

@ Steer - Only one very humble request. These fiats have to be treated with care - and hence very carefully choose your driver.

Last edited by prabhuav : 24th November 2008 at 16:52.
Old 24th November 2008, 16:59   #56
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic buy Steer! Hope you & your Pop have a lot of fun with this one & the Landy gets ready soon too!
Old 24th November 2008, 17:30   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
@Amitoj - Steer spends too much time drinking for him to think about buying them. His mantra , when in doubt buy all the bottles and drink them up
Prabhu, thats not surprising for a guy who buys a car in 14 minutes.
Old 24th November 2008, 17:53   #58
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Steer ! That was quick - super quick in fact - impulsive if I may add !

Now FIAT will have another spokesperson on their behalf !
Old 24th November 2008, 17:59   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Quote:
Prabhu, thats not surprising for a guy who buys a car in 14 minutes.
So I hope this was not a DUI (decision under the influence).

On the other hand, congrats on buying a fantastically maintained car. Hope some of its good looks rub off onto the Landy.
Old 24th November 2008, 18:02   #60
BANNED

That car is in the same condition since 2 yrs. Superb, and fantastic.

Even the engine room looks new, why no pics of the engine room?

Drool, those whitewall tyres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks