Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2008, 12:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

The 1947 convertible Buicks, both Roadmaster and Super are lovely iconic cars and always draw attention. There are relatively few Roadmasters,moe Supers are to be found. This is a lovely Roadmaster, there is one more in Mumbai having the same colour but it has a super engine. Hope thay find a Roadmaster engine for it soon. There is another one in a collection in Pune, also in superb condition. There are definitely a few more 1947 Convertible Roadmasters, can someone comeup with info?
About power windows though, I have my doubts if these were originally fitted in 1947. I just went through a latest Hemming, they mention from 1953 onwards. Perhaps these were available a year or two earlier also, but 1947 seems to be too early. If you look at the inner door pad, the winding handles seem to be original. I believe that only power hoods were available at that time.
This is ofcourse subject to correction if someone knows better and if someone can tell exactly from which year power windows were available and on which marque I will learn something. I am hoping Mr. Ram can enlighten as he has been backing up his statements with info and data.
Old 29th December 2008, 15:14   #17
BHPian

A couple of photographs in our house with the Rolls of Mr. Pranlal
Attached Thumbnails
1947 Buick Roadmaster Convertible-scan0037.jpg  

1947 Buick Roadmaster Convertible-scan0036.jpg  

Old 29th December 2008, 15:29   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The 1947 convertible Buicks, both Roadmaster and Super are lovely iconic cars and always draw attention. There are relatively few Roadmasters,moe Supers are to be found. This is a lovely Roadmaster, there is one more in Mumbai having the same colour but it has a super engine. Hope thay find a Roadmaster engine for it soon. There is another one in a collection in Pune, also in superb condition. There are definitely a few more 1947 Convertible Roadmasters, can someone comeup with info?
About power windows though, I have my doubts if these were originally fitted in 1947. I just went through a latest Hemming, they mention from 1953 onwards. Perhaps these were available a year or two earlier also, but 1947 seems to be too early. If you look at the inner door pad, the winding handles seem to be original. I believe that only power hoods were available at that time.
This is ofcourse subject to correction if someone knows better and if someone can tell exactly from which year power windows were available and on which marque I will learn something. I am hoping Mr. Ram can enlighten as he has been backing up his statements with info and data.
Hello Ahrit, The Buich in MumBai which you are talking of the same colour was partly restored by me as per the clients wishes. It had come in a very bad state with many things missing and I refabricated it. The Engine was a super engine and not a roadmaster engine. It was fitted with a Diesel engine and this car was originally from delhi, kasmiri gate.
Regarding Power windows I am very sure my roadmaster model 1947 had its original glass winding mechanism fitted in the door, rrof top and even seats. Also it has a heater blower in the car. The onlything was a few links were missing and hence it needed overhaul which i am doing now. Regarding other roadmasters convertible, I have seen a couple of them but cant disclose their owners.
Old 10th January 2009, 12:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subodh Nath View Post
Hello Ahrit,
Regarding Power windows I am very sure my roadmaster model 1947 had its original glass winding mechanism fitted in the door, rrof top and even seats. Also it has a heater blower in the car. The onlything was a few links were missing and hence it needed overhaul which i am doing now. Regarding other roadmasters convertible, I have seen a couple of them but cant disclose their owners.
As I have mentioned earlier, my postings are always subject to correction when something new is learnt.
I somehow assumed that these powered devices, hood, window and seat were ELECTRIC powered. So that is why I was skeptical and curious as I could find such reference only to 1953. But now I learnt that these were indeed powered, but VACUUM powered, similar to the first wiper motors. In fact even 1941 cars had such systems. But as one who has some experience with this may know, these are highly unreliable because of inherent weaknesses. The system had to be vacuum tight, so our good roads would anyway shake all joint loose. Then it was also very slow. Most cars were converted to the later hydraulic power systems for the hood and electrics for seat and windows.

Last edited by harit : 10th January 2009 at 12:36.
Old 10th January 2009, 15:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

One of my absolute favourites.

Beautiful car Subodh Nath. Very few of such pristine, well kept examples left. Well done.

The 1947 Buicks did actually come with the luxury option of hydraulic door windows (power widows), power operated bench seat (Front) and an electro-hydraulically operated convertible hood.

1947 Buick Roadmaster Convertible-47-buickroadmaster-ragtop.jpg
1947 Buick Roadmaster Convertible-buick-47-wheel.jpg

Subodh, since your car has all the luxury options offered back then, Im presuming it also has the optionally available Dynaflow instead of the ordinary 3 speed manual it was offered with. The Dynaflow was the industry's first passenger car torque converter transmission, offered only on the Road Master in the beginning
Though some say that the Dynaflow was offered from 1948 onwards, i have seen 47 cars with Dynaflow transmission. Maybe they were introduced in late 47 as earlier the cars were labelled as the next years in September or Fall.

The Canvas convertible top is electro-hydraulically operated. Pull out a ivory coloured knob and it silently disappears into the well, push in the knob, and it comes out almost magically.

1947 Buick Roadmaster Convertible-buick-top-closing.jpg

The Door panels:
Non Power

1947 Buick Roadmaster Convertible-1947_buick_roadmaster_048.jpg

Power.
Note the placement of the window up/down button. Though the "V" is an after market addition, as is the diagonal stitching design in the Black and Red panel.

1947 Buick Roadmaster Convertible-buick-47-rd-master-door-panel.jpg

The Power assisted front bench seats. Note the interior light on the edge of the seat

1947 Buick Roadmaster Convertible-buick-rd-master-47-power-seats.jpg
1947 Buick Roadmaster Convertible-buick-super-1947-frontseatsremote.jpg

The Serial plate, a birth description which mentions all

1947 Buick Roadmaster Convertible-buick-47-rd-master-serial-plate.jpg

By the way, a convertible Buick, though i dont remember if its a Roadmaster or Super (I think its a Road Master) featured in the Dharmendra starrer 'Shalimar" and had Premnath dressed as a Maharaja riding in this deep Maroon beauty. I wonder whose car that was?

There is another convertible, awaiting restoration, lying with a collector of Bombay who both Harit and I have the pleasure of knowing quite well. He is fondly referred to as "Buick Man" for his love and vast collections of Buicks.
Old 10th January 2009, 16:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful pic of information. I am speechless after seeing this information.

1947 and this facility in the car!!!
Old 31st March 2010, 14:53   #22
BHPian

A MASTERPIECE INDEED. Buick was one of the most Majestic cars of the 50,s and
60,s. I would love to see the car in real.

B.ANANT
NAGPUR
Old 27th April 2011, 20:36   #23
BHPian

Re: 1947 Buick Roadmaster Convertible

Subodhji can i contact u in person.I have sent pms..please give me ur phone number.thiss regarding restoration of our family buick 8
Old 28th April 2011, 12:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1947 Buick Roadmaster Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamsinmerak View Post
Subodhji can i contact u in person.I have sent pms..please give me ur phone number.thiss regarding restoration of our family buick 8
Hi! Could you post some pictures of your car?
Is it a Roadmaster or a Super? Is she white in colour?
Curious to see her.

Cheers harit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks