Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2008, 20:49   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Gazels are even rarer than the Herald, though introduced later in 1974, if I am correct.
Actually they were introduced in 1971 or '72 itself (not sure about the exact year but definitely around this time)
The early models had the bonnet opening the same way as the herald, if you know what I mean. The later "fixed" front end model cmae in 1974, with the bonnet opening the same way as other cars (and IMHO would've taken out all the uniqueness of the herald-based cars!)- our car happens to be from this year. This model lasted until about 1977 or so.
Old 9th December 2008, 22:04   #17
BHPian

LOVE HER(ALD)! that is an amazing car! There is another one in Kerala, a yellow one which is a Mark 2. I believe its for sale for anybody that would be interested. Pics can be found on the forum.
Old 9th December 2008, 22:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Wow, wow, wow ! The Herald family is growing in leaps and bounds, may your tribe increase guys..
Lovely car Vikas. I did read your post in another thread about how you went about making the perfect soft top, ie one which disappears when down. Your efforts have paid of, she's indeed a beauty.
I've always been an ardent admirer of standard cars, especially the herald (India's first roadster) and more recently the fastback Standard 2000.
Old 9th December 2008, 23:06   #19
BHPian

Attachment 78071

Attachment 78072

Are'nt these 2 pix from Bangalore, I used to see this parked in Shantinagar in the same place unmoved for many years, and has now disappeared.

Any idea about the whereabouts of this gazel?
Old 9th December 2008, 23:14   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
I've always been an ardent admirer of standard cars, especially the herald (India's first roadster) and more recently the fastback Standard 2000.
Uh, sorry ravi, but the herald (atleast the versions sold in India) was never a roadster in the true sense. Unless I'm mistaken, roadsters have only 2 seats, although some of them have a "mother-in-law" seat in the boot.
There is a Triumph 1800 roadster here in Hyd. with such a seat (known as "rumble seat") that was a regular at the local rallies (in the days when they were held! :()
'glad you like these cars though! Oh, and didn't you tell me you've fallen hook line and sinker for the 10 as well?? ;-)
Old 9th December 2008, 23:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Arre Shyam, I meant as close to a true blue roadster as we could get !!
And yes, I have fallen hook line and sinker for the Pennant as well.. after seeing your baby .
Old 10th December 2008, 10:48   #22
BHPian

There is a Herald restoration catalogue available with Rimmer Bros. UK. They also stock spares for all Triumph cars. Am not sure though how expensive will they be once they are imported into India. Don't remember the exact URL but you can simply type Rimmer Triumph Herald on the address bar to find them. This will surely help all those in the process of restoring their Triumph cars.

Vikas
Old 10th December 2008, 12:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Yes you're right, the gazel was unique to India, as was the 4-door Herald (although the original prototype of the latter was conceived in the UK. One still survives, recently being rescued by the Triumph Sports Six Club, UK)

BTW sidhartha, how about some more pics. of your herald as well?? And you think your car isn't in good nick just because of the engine rebuild?
You've got to see mine!!
i wasn refering to the engine , actually my engine is great shape after the rebuild , i was refering to the paint and the body work , i am making do with just rubbing compund and polish , the red convertible herald looked nice and freah compared to mine , will post some more pics soon ,

also, i have been looking for a new carb , something seems to wrong with the one i have right now , changing the packing kit and getting tuned 3 times did not help , after the engine really warms up ,the idling just shoots up by itself , and i have been unable to figure out what the problem is .
Old 10th December 2008, 14:39   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
i was refering to the paint and the body work ,
also, i have been looking for a new carb , something seems to wrong with the one i have right now , changing the packing kit and getting tuned 3 times did not help , after the engine really warms up ,the idling just shoots up by itself , and i have been unable to figure out what the problem is .
Uh, what is wrong even with your paint/bodywork?? Maybe that it appears a bit too dull and lack-lustre, for a colour like black?
Or maybe you should get around to posting more pics. of your car here soon!

Did I tell you that my 1st herald was in this colour btw?

I'll try and see if a new carb is available here. Although I wouldnt expect terribly good ones here either! Did you try in your shivajinagar gujiri? You could ask for Ameen/Muneer or Basha. They used to have most stock of standard spares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE HER(ALD)! View Post
There is a Herald restoration catalogue available with Rimmer Bros. UK. They also stock spares for all Triumph cars. Am not sure though how expensive will they be once they are imported into India. Don't remember the exact URL but you can simply type Rimmer Triumph Herald on the address bar to find them.
Rimmer Bros. - Triumph Herald

As for being expensive, I guess its only with the postal charges and (if above 5000/-) the duty charges on arriving here.

Canley classics also is very comprehensive UK site with good spares, so also is rarebits4classics although this doesnt have instant online payment, unlike the other 2. You can only pay through the paypal site if you're a member.

Also sorry I forgot answer your earlier query about an alternative for the brake parts- I'm afraid there isn't any locally! Importing is the only option.

Last edited by Stanher : 10th December 2008 at 14:45.
Old 10th December 2008, 16:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Uh, what is wrong even with your paint/bodywork?? Maybe that it appears a bit too dull and lack-lustre, for a colour like black?
Or maybe you should get around to posting more pics. of your car here soon!

Did I tell you that my 1st herald was in this colour btw?

I'll try and see if a new carb is available here. Although I wouldnt expect terribly good ones here either! Did you try in your shivajinagar gujiri? You could ask for Ameen/Muneer or Basha. They used to have most stock of standard spares.

Rimmer Bros. - Triumph Herald

As for being expensive, I guess its only with the postal charges and (if above 5000/-) the duty charges on arriving here.

Canley classics also is very comprehensive UK site with good spares, so also is rarebits4classics although this doesnt have instant online payment, unlike the other 2. You can only pay through the paypal site if you're a member.

Also sorry I forgot answer your earlier query about an alternative for the brake parts- I'm afraid there isn't any locally! Importing is the only option.
i have been trying to source a new carb form some of the older spare part dealers,, or i wouldn mind goin in for a fiat carb ( even though i dont want to, but people claim they run well and its easier to get one), still thinking twice abt it ,coz everything on my car is completely original ,, i am even trying get that card board coated with lining cloth which comes under the dash board ,and on the either sides of the dash board

i just checked out the pics of ur herald , the meter in urs is diff from mine , mine is the 64 model i think ,, the one on urs is lovely , also , sir , would tell me how the original accelarator pedal arrangement is , in min,the cale is dircetly linked to the pedal ( it is not a suspended pedal ) ,did they have suspended accelarator pedal?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.
Please go through this Announcement (Expected Posting Etiquette)

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th December 2008 at 17:02. Reason: see note in post
Old 10th December 2008, 17:26   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
i just checked out the pics of ur herald , the meter in urs is diff from mine , mine is the 64 model i think ,, the one on urs is lovely
Thanks! Mine is indeed the original meter. Impossible to source here now!
Could you upload pics. of your car's dash as well? That'd help us know better what's original and what's not.

Quote:
would tell me how the original accelarator pedal arrangement is , in min,the cale is dircetly linked to the pedal ( it is not a suspended pedal ) ,did they have suspended accelarator pedal?
I would confirm that your car indeed has the original pedal- sounds very much similar to what I've found on most original heralds. Mine unfortunately has a suspended pedal!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks