Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2009, 13:57   #1
BHPian

My Lambretta LD ! A new restoration project

Hi Team,

Recently procured a new Lambretta LD for a restoration project.

Have already started stripping the machine although its in very good condition considering its age.

All rubber trims that are there on the machine are original including the rubber beadings on the floor.

Have started hunting for parts.

The horncast, the original CEV headlight rim and the side panels and side panel chrome grills have already been removed for restoration work.

The Original reflector has been sent for metalising.

The LD has the original Milano LD Legshield badge which I have removed for restoration and also the Lambretta badge on the spare wheel cover that has been carefully removed so that the spare wheel cover can be restored.

The seats are original AQUILA although the covers aren't but in due course of time they will be original AQUILA!

I am loving it!

Have sprayed the rust penetrant on all the nuts and bolts and left it at that for the moment to loosen the rust on nuts and will slowly open up the machine for a mind blowing restoration (IMHO) soon enough.

Will keep you posted team.

Any contribution in terms of parts and source of parts in India will be deeply appreciated. Keep the information coming in.

Here are some pics for you all to enjoy.

Cheers!

Saurabh
Attached Thumbnails
My Lambretta LD ! A new restoration project-dsc02851.jpg  

My Lambretta LD ! A new restoration project-dsc02865.jpg  

My Lambretta LD ! A new restoration project-dsc02853.jpg  

My Lambretta LD ! A new restoration project-dsc02857.jpg  

Old 11th May 2009, 15:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Saurabh! Quite a fine scooter you've got there!! 'looks absoultely complete and original, needing just a few parts to complete it!

Needless to say, do update us as you proceed withthe restoration. Good luck!
Old 11th May 2009, 15:58   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA7VA5 View Post
Hi Team,

That looks beautifully preserved, congratulations. Is the paint original? Looks totally rust free.
Old 11th May 2009, 18:46   #4
BHPian

Thanks

Thanks karl and stanher!

The machine is indeed beautifully preserved and has the original paint. Rust build up is there although very very marginal on the side panels and chrome grills.

Those parts are already undergoing denting and preparation for painting.

This will be a faster restoration than my Series 2 basis the experience there.

Will keep posting more pics for you all to view and enjoy.

If you guys can help with parts please do!

Cheers!

Saurabh
Old 11th May 2009, 18:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Team,

Have already started stripping the machine although its in very good condition considering its age.
SA7VA5, very restorable LD.I'm sure you will do a good job of it.
All the best. waiting to see it in restored form.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th May 2009 at 18:56. Reason: fixed quote
Old 24th May 2009, 22:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely example.Terrific to look at. Hope you will keep us posted on the restoration job.The speedo console on the inner side of the front leg guard appears missing.
The older Lambrettas LD and LI series had provision for full footrest for the pillion, which I believe no scooter had later on and even today many offer fold able footpegs. Alas, who bothers for pillion comfort?
Old 25th May 2009, 00:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good work on the restoration of the lambretta.I also see a Bobby Rajdoot next to the Lambretta,are you planning to restore the same too?
Old 25th May 2009, 20:38   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The older Lambrettas LD and LI series had provision for full footrest for the pillion, which I believe no scooter had later on and even today many offer fold able footpegs. Alas, who bothers for pillion comfort?
You can say that again! And leave alone footpegs, the present-day bikes and scoots don't even have proper seating for pillions, atlast with respect to our country, where ladies stting sideways are often pillions!
Old 25th May 2009, 21:20   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
You can say that again! And leave alone footpegs, the present-day bikes and scoots don't even have proper seating for pillions, atlast with respect to our country, where ladies stting sideways are often pillions!
This is where the new entrants and "Johnny Come Lately s" fail. Suzuki, Honda and Yamaha want to earn their market share and earn fast bucks here and thats what we get.They have no room in their R & D Wings to think of the fate of pillion riders.
Bajaj had the old Vespa design of the 1940's where the running footboard for pillions was impossible. The Vespa (Wasp) of Italy was a single seater originally and was later made to seat two in the 1950's (Remember Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn of Roman Holiday fame), if we carefully watch its evolution.
But the same Bajaj Auto buried the Vespa design in the early 2000's and tried to make a second coming with their indigenously designed Stride, Kristal and what not? Being an Indian company it is criminal for them not to give credence to the pillion comfort.
Lambrettas excel in design, looks, dynamics and the scooter feels so planted on the road while one drives. It is very easy to access the engine bay for repairs, if one knows the basics- its DIY friendly. I only feel that API,Bhandup, Mumbai, its Indian manufacturers failed because the quality control was at its nadir in the 1970's, when the whole scooter was indigeniously made. Rusting, breakages of components and reliability posed questions. To compound API's woes, the several Vijais and Priyas came along and alas! The Lambretta, our oldest scooter brand passed away peacefully in the mid 1980's!
Old 26th May 2009, 15:44   #10
BHPian

A FINE SET OF LAMBRETTA LDs & OPEN LD FOR SALE

Hi Team,

Have come across a fine set of Lambretta LD 1956, 1957 and Open LD machines for sale. They are all going to get exported if we dont salvage them as soon as possible. These machines seem to be a big hit in Thailand and people are making a killing by dismantling and selling them off to agents who carry them as spares to Thailand.

Will send you pics for you to decide which one (s) you want and let me know through PM or call me at 09350000718. I am unable to buy and keep all of them for now.

If you want to save these machines and keep them here in India then way to go guys. Have already bought an LD for myself and if no one comes up for these then will beg borrow steal to keep them for myself.

Cheers

Saurabh
Old 26th May 2009, 18:49   #11
BHPian

Hey Guys,

does anyone have any details on this bike, it looks like a moped withe the engine mounted on the front wheel, rest of the bike looks like a suvega.

It is there with one of the collectors in Bangalore. posting a pic of the bike
Attached Thumbnails
My Lambretta LD ! A new restoration project-i-phone-pics-023.jpg  

My Lambretta LD ! A new restoration project-i-phone-pics-033.jpg  

My Lambretta LD ! A new restoration project-i-phone-pics-036.jpg  

Old 26th May 2009, 19:17   #12
BHPian

Off topic - Lambro

Hi Lambro

Your post is completely off topic.

Request you not to post such off topic posts in this thread.

Hope you dont mind.

Thanks

Saurabh
Old 26th May 2009, 23:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Team,

All rubber trims that are there on the machine are original including the rubber beadings on the floor.

Have started hunting for parts.

The horncast, the original CEV headlight rim and the side panels and side panel chrome grills have already been removed for restoration work.

The Original reflector has been sent for metalising.

The LD has the original Milano LD Legshield badge which I have removed for restoration and also the Lambretta badge on the spare wheel cover that has been carefully removed so that the spare wheel cover can be restored.

The seats are original AQUILA although the covers aren't but in due course of time they will be original AQUILA!

I am loving it!

Have sprayed the rust penetrant on all the nuts and bolts and left it at that for the moment to loosen the rust on nuts and will slowly open up the machine for a mind blowing restoration (IMHO) soon enough.

Will keep you posted team.

Any contribution in terms of parts and source of parts in India will be deeply appreciated. Keep the information coming in.

Here are some pics for you all to enjoy.

Cheers!

Saurabh
Congrats Saurabh. Thats a beauty you've got. It has been a long time wish of mine to own one, but due to the price at which they come I havent been able to get one. Hopefully I should own one in the future,
Old 28th May 2009, 23:04   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambro View Post
Hey Guys,

does anyone have any details on this bike, it looks like a moped withe the engine mounted on the front wheel, rest of the bike looks like a suvega.

It is there with one of the collectors in Bangalore. posting a pic of the bike

This is an Atlas Solex moped a sub 50cc machine that was introduced by the makers of Atlas Cycles, Sonepat who went into a collaboration with the French moped maker Solex. The moped was a commercial failure and sold only a few thousand units if I am not wrong.Its model life was for just a few years after which the production was halted.
Old 4th November 2009, 16:58   #15
BHPian

Any new updates Saurabh? I'm waiting to see your scoot like this:
My Lambretta LD ! A new restoration project-lambrettald1501954l.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks