Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2009, 23:56   #1

My Morris Minor 1000 restoration & i need help finding a donor car!

Dear BHPians,

I am very new to this forum and I don't know if I am posting this thread in the correct section. Well I am interested in buying a Morris Minor 1000 (any condition would do) as I have a Morris Minor 1000 which is under restoration and I am looking out for parts from a spare car so as to maintain it in Original condition. I had bought a few genuine parts from GS Jones UK, which I feel was a costly affair. I need some guidance in this regard from you guys so that I can restore my car in the best possible way. I am also attaching some pictures of my car in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
My Morris Minor 1000 restoration & i need help finding a donor car!-img_0045.jpg  

My Morris Minor 1000 restoration & i need help finding a donor car!-img_0047.jpg  

My Morris Minor 1000 restoration & i need help finding a donor car!-img_0048.jpg  

My Morris Minor 1000 restoration & i need help finding a donor car!-img_0049.jpg  

My Morris Minor 1000 restoration & i need help finding a donor car!-img_0050.jpg  

My Morris Minor 1000 restoration & i need help finding a donor car!-dsc_0953.jpg  

My Morris Minor 1000 restoration & i need help finding a donor car!-dsc_0955.jpg  

My Morris Minor 1000 restoration & i need help finding a donor car!-dsc_0959.jpg  

Old 17th August 2009, 21:58   #2
BHPian

Finding a donor car would be difficult, given that today everything is restorable. The net is a good source for parts for Minors. There are a number of suppliers and they are not that expensive. I have a Heynes workshop manual for your car. I could give you a copy whenever you come to Bangalore.
Old 17th August 2009, 23:42   #3
BANNED

Nice car sir.

The car is already so good, i dont think you require a donor car.

You'll find lot of parts in Bangalore junkyard. Keep us updated about the restoration sir.

I'am on a similar project, would immensly help me, but the one i am doing is a 1955 morris convertible low light.

Most of these British cars share almost same and similar engine parts, that's what i learnt from my present restorations of the Morris and the 1955 MG.
Old 18th August 2009, 00:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Nice car sir.

You'll find lot of parts in Bangalore junkyard. Keep us updated about the restoration sir.

I'am on a similar project, would immensly help me, but the one i am doing is a 1955 morris convertible low light.

Most of these British cars share almost same and similar engine parts, that's what i learnt from my present restorations of the Morris and the 1955 MG.
Suggest that you do not buy a spares car, your car does not look too bad. Why not make a wish list and let help pour in? Maybe cheaper in the long run too!.

Cheers harit
Old 18th August 2009, 07:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice car sir.

kadamji,
there was no morris minor low light in 1955.the lowlight came only for the years 1948-1950.then how come you can have a 1955 morris lowlight.also what engine does it have a side valve or OHV??
Old 18th August 2009, 07:41   #6
BHPian

Hey Sri Krishna,

What parts are missing ? The car looks OK and have you tried eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace ? some items are very realistically priced.

Regards
Old 18th August 2009, 10:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
Finding a donor car would be difficult, given that today everything is restorable. The net is a good source for parts for Minors. There are a number of suppliers and they are not that expensive. I have a Heynes workshop manual for your car. I could give you a copy whenever you come to Bangalore.
Thanks Tonrag, Kadamji, GirishPv for your inputs. Tonrag, I will definitely come and meet you, could you please mail me or sms me your phone number & address to +91 98803 55000 or srikrishna.shirali@gmail.com I will get back to you ASAP. Kadamji, looking forward to meet you as well, if you are restoring your Morris Minor, I know a mechanic in Bangalore by the name of Sripathi and he repairs all old cars, he has his garage in HBR Layout near BDA complex, Hosur Road. He is a very knowledgeable person.Girish PV, you can always call me on my cell phone +91 98803 55000.
Old 18th August 2009, 13:24   #8
Team-BHP Support

How about sourcing in Sri Lanka - plenty of these cars there
Old 18th August 2009, 13:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

I can understand that buying parts from UK is a costly affair..but as Pawan pointed out,if you visit scrap yards,there are many sources.
Old 18th August 2009, 13:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
How about sourcing in Sri Lanka - plenty of these cars there
Truly said SIR, plenty of Morris in Sri Lanka.

There is one guy from Coimbatore or nearby, he often makes business visits to Sri Lanka and get some parts too, may be Powertwin know this guy ?

cheers
Old 18th August 2009, 14:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Truly said SIR, plenty of Morris in Sri Lanka.

There is one guy from Coimbatore or nearby, he often makes business visits to Sri Lanka and get some parts too, may be Powertwin know this guy ?

cheers
the parts which you get cheap in srilanka are made in INDIA only.
if you want genuine LUCAS parts,etc you have search UK only. a pair of Morris 1000(repro) tail lamp lens was available abt an year back in a shop in NAGERCOIL .if you want I will check it out
Old 18th August 2009, 16:27   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
kadamji,
there was no morris minor low light in 1955.the lowlight came only for the years 1948-1950.then how come you can have a 1955 morris lowlight.also what engine does it have a side valve or OHV??
You always have this problem buddy.

It was a typo error, the car that i mentioned is a 1953 MM-Series Low light Convertible.
Please go through this:

MODEL VARIATIONS
The Morris Minor comes, basically, in four guises, all of them pretty much the same shape, but each with significant differences.

Series MM - September 1948 to February 1953 exhibiting all the classic features of the early "lowlights".
Split windscreen, tiny back window and headlights mounted in the front grille characterised the early "lowlight" MMs, later with headlights on top of the wings. The grille-mounted headlamps of the early "lowlights" were not high enough for the Americans. Much to his annoyance, Issigonis and his team went back to the drawing board and modified the shape of the front wings to accommodate the headlights and comply with American law.

All series MM's had the 918cc sidevalve engine, which was the least powerful of all Minor engines.

First in two door, then in four door and finally in 'tourer' (soft top / convertible) form, these are possibly the most expensive and sought after Minors.

Will that solve your mystery..?

@ Mr Srikrishna Shirali- Thanks for your suggestion, but one needs to be insane to leave his cars with Mr Sripathi.

The Morris thats under restoration is below:
Attached Thumbnails
My Morris Minor 1000 restoration & i need help finding a donor car!-dsc07608.jpg  

Old 18th August 2009, 17:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You always have this problem buddy.

It was a typo error, the car that i mentioned is a 1953 MM-Series Low light Convertible.
Please go through this:

MODEL VARIATIONS
The Morris Minor comes, basically, in four guises, all of them pretty much the same shape, but each with significant differences.

Series MM - September 1948 to February 1953 exhibiting all the classic features of the early "lowlights".
Split windscreen, tiny back window and headlights mounted in the front grille characterised the early "lowlight" MMs, later with headlights on top of the wings. The grille-mounted headlamps of the early "lowlights" were not high enough for the Americans. Much to his annoyance, Issigonis and his team went back to the drawing board and modified the shape of the front wings to accommodate the headlights and comply with American law.

All series MM's had the 918cc sidevalve engine, which was the least powerful of all Minor engines.

First in two door, then in four door and finally in 'tourer' (soft top / convertible) form, these are possibly the most expensive and sought after Minors.

Will that solve your mystery..?

@ Mr Srikrishna Shirali- Thanks for your suggestion, but one needs to be insane to leave his cars with Mr Sripathi.

The Morris thats under restoration is below:
kadamji,
I have no problem with any typo errors, but I surely have a problem when somebody puts in " MISFACTS""
here are the FACTS (source:minor mania.com)
October 1948
First Minor rolls off production line
Car Number SMM501
Engine Type USHM2
June 1949
Car No.RHD#3389 LHD#6142: small, round twin rear lights replace single rear lamp (mounted vertically in USA).
Car No.RHD#17580 LHD#7967: larger squared-off variety of rear lamps fitted.
September 1949
Improved draught and water sealing. Choke control altered slightly. Seats given more forwards adjustment.
Late 1949
Front suspension tiebar mounting strengthened RHD#904 LHD#5600.
Rear suspension - front shackle renewable bush plates fitted, RHD#17840 LHD#8700.
Cellulose paint replaced by synthetic enamel RHD#12118 RHD LHD#5856.
All US market cars fitted with headlamps in wings.
October 1950 - on
Four-door Series MM Minor introduced, also with headlamps situated in wings.
Indicators fitted high in central door pillar instead of low down as on two-door cars.
Some cars (two-door and four-door) fitted with leather front seats, Vyanide being retained in the rear.
RHD#69832 LHD#71098 - front doors closed with straps instead of cord.
Four-door cars fitted with one-piece bumpers instead of earlier split type.
RHD#72985 RHD - passenger windscreen wiper fitted as standard.
January 1951
RHD#83390 LHD#81595 - all Minors built with headlamps mounted in the wings with sidelamps placed where the headiamps used to be.
All wing mounted headlamps were 7" instead of former 5" units.
March 1951
A nickel shortage led to painted grille and hub caps being fitted - RHD#91076 LHD#89726.
Hub caps only were restored to chrome plated finish six months later.
April 1951
Optional water pump fitted to engine, allowing use of heater. Complete cost £RHD#83206 LDH#81502 LHD - all cars now fitted with one-piece bumpers in place of earlier split type.
June 1951 - on
RHD#100920 LHD#102836 - Tourer sidescreens of fixed type and revised hood fitted.
Door-mounted ashtray discontinued on four-door at RHD#131460 LHD#126597 and on two-door at RHD#124810 LHD#122788, replaced by fascia mounted ashtray.
RHD#139359 LHD#139514 - glove box emblem changed from chrome and enamel to plastic.
Bootlid lock strengthened.
September 1951
RHD#114923 LHD#89910 - rubber bushed top suspension link introduced to cure suspension 'clonk'. Later fitted as a modification to most cars.
At same time in 1952 a secondary steering rack damper was introduced.
Late 1952 - on
Series MM engine replaced by A-series engine, in export four-door car at first.
Two-door saloon and Tourer still fitted with Morris 8 engine until 23 February 1953, when last Series MM Minor built.
August 1952
First OHV engine fitted in four-door saloon (sidevalve engine continued in some), #160001.
January 1953
All models fitted with ohv engine, #180001.
October 1953
New page_textDe Luxe models introduced featuring heater, leather seats, overriders and passenger sun visor.
Two-door saloon #221842, four-door saloon #221803, Convertible #221914.
January 1954
'A' type rear axle and standard swivel pin assembly introduced #228267.
Wedge type fan belt at engine no. 72610.
Early 1954
Sprung-type semibucket seats replaced by more modern, flatter far less comfortable front seats.
Also around this time and until late 1954, 10,000 cars were fitted with separate rear reflectors as a stop-gap way of satisfying new rear reflector regulations.
June 1954
Enginesteady cable fitted, 264013.
October 1954
Horizontal grill bars introduced.
Revised instrument and control panel.
Separate speedometer, fuel and oil pressure gauges replaced by single separate instrument with open gloveboxes each side - two-door saloon #291140, four-door saloon #290173, Convertible #291336, Traveller #289687.
Rubber-buffered tie-rod mounted between engine and bulkhead to act as engine steady and to cut out clutch judder.
New larger rear light fitting incorporating reflector in lens cover fitted, #293051.
August 1956
Coloured hoods fitted to Convertible, #433571.
During its production run, the Series II received few other changes but they included:
- discontinuation of front wing beading
- hardboard replacing millboard door trim
- grease nipples added to handbrake cables
- shorter gear lever
- repositioned pedals
- different gearbox cover and carpets to give more foot room
Car #433571 on, Tourer given a coloured hood, mottled green for green cars, mottled red for all others.
Seats became fixed-back for two-door cars.
October 1956
Series II discontinued.
Final chassis number #448714.
October 1956
Standard and De Luxe two- and four-door saloons, Convertible and Traveller introduced, designated'Minor 1000'.
948cc engine fitted.
Single-piece and enlarged curved windscreen and larger rear window.
Dished steering wheel.
Horn and trafficator control on steering column.
Glovebox lids fitted.
Deeper rear wings.
Shorter geariever, and deeper gearbox cover.
'Minor 1000' motif on sides of bonnet, #448801.
New type of shorter handbrake fitted with end push-button instead of side-mounted lever.
Gear-lever carried in aluminium remote-control extension.
Self-parking wipers, though still not of parallel movement type.

Hope this clears all doubts .
also please check your facts before you LAUGH !!!
Old 18th August 2009, 17:07   #14
BANNED

Now it appears that pavan kadams morris minor is having the wrong documents?
Or is it the other way round?
Old 18th August 2009, 17:17   #15
BHPian

there is a morris in a garage near my place.. i think Pavan you might had a look at it also.
will try to get the pics

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks