Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 14:13   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machdar View Post
Hi Doc ,

Where did you source the white wall tyres from? How much ?
Whitewall tyres for Ambassador were available with one tyre shop fellow in JC Road.
Old 9th April 2010, 12:09   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Whitewall tyres for Ambassador were available with one tyre shop fellow in JC Road.

Hi Manishalive,

Please let me know the contact details of the shop or the exact location i'm looking for a set of white wall tyres.

regards
abhilash
Old 9th April 2010, 12:34   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash View Post
Hi Manishalive,

Please let me know the contact details of the shop or the exact location i'm looking for a set of white wall tyres.

regards
abhilash
The shop opposite to Dena Bank atm on JC road, it has an MRF board on the Shop. and is the second shop from the corner or signal.
Old 9th April 2010, 16:54   #64
BHPian

Is it the big MRF shop on the right. Anyways thanks for the info Manish.
Old 9th April 2010, 21:44   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoepaulp View Post
Hi guys,
I would like to share some pictures of my newly restored 1961 ambassador,I would appreciate your comments
Boss the car is fabulouse, and the colour choise is also great had it been a deep maroon it would have been more greater. The maroon came as a original colour in 60's to mark 1 ambys.
Few more suggestions if you dont mind. Kindly do the needful and see the difference yourself.
1. Please get rid of those fancy wheel covers and stick to the originals.
2. Please tighten the brass nut below steering box so that the 'H' motiff on the steering will not rotate along with the steering movement, there is a small nipple along with a brass nut which locks the steel pipe carrying 4 core wire of Horn, left/right signal,earthing.Is the signal arrangement working on the motiff?
3. Get rid of that small halogen reversing lamp at the back.
Old 9th April 2010, 21:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohooper View Post
Would have looked better in white! Minus the blingy wheelcaps. And please do NOT put those chrome wipers.. real driving hazard. The glare would surely distract you..... we would not want that to happen, would we? All original chroming would be okay if this car was not a daily runner. Still you must have gone to some real pains getting those white walls, and the plate bet the Tail lamps with the 'H' Logo. Was that really there in the MI/MII Ambys? And oh, does your handbrake work? (75% of amby drivers never used that lever!) Do you have the Floor mounted dipper switch? Man! handsfree control of the 70's!!
Boss let me remind you that the foot operated dipper switch was root cause for many ambys getting burnt to ashes due to short circuite due to very little gap between sheet steel flooring cut out for the dipper switch and the electrical contacts for the switch, our very own Mark2 had caught fire in 1969.
Old 21st July 2010, 19:05   #67

Excellent work, the car looks really pretty. I loved my Avigo when I bought it but its quite apparent that the older models look so much classier. Just a short question - What are the indie door panels made up of. I've been struggling with these panels and the cardboard never lasts more than six months and they start rattling. Plus if you drive in nuts from the outside to hold them in place then it looks terrible. Would love to know how you've sorted that out.

Thanks
Old 21st July 2010, 19:17   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Dalliance View Post
Excellent work, the car looks really pretty. I loved my Avigo when I bought it but its quite apparent that the older models look so much classier. Just a short question - What are the indie door panels made up of. I've been struggling with these panels and the cardboard never lasts more than six months and they start rattling. Plus if you drive in nuts from the outside to hold them in place then it looks terrible. Would love to know how you've sorted that out.

Thanks
From gurus here I have learnt that for the older models I recommend an aluminium sheet over cardboard - will last forever. Fitting is via concealed clips on the insides, and if good quality they should not pop out.
Old 22nd July 2010, 09:12   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
From gurus here I have learnt that for the older models I recommend an aluminium sheet over cardboard - will last forever. Fitting is via concealed clips on the insides, and if good quality they should not pop out.
Which side the aluminium should be, behind the card board? I will start my upholstry work, soon.
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:05   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Dalliance View Post
Just a short question - What are the indie door panels made up of. I've been struggling with these panels and the cardboard never lasts more than six months and they start rattling. Plus if you drive in nuts from the outside to hold them in place then it looks terrible. Would love to know how you've sorted that out.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Which side the aluminium should be, behind the card board? I will start my upholstry work, soon.
Dalliance and Manish,

I presume what you are referring to as Cardboard is actually what is usually called the Hardboard (Brown in colour with one side smooth and the other side looks like the design of a graph paper).

The Aluminium lining suggested by Karl is a good solution. The lining should be between the board and the metal of the door.

A good solution I have seem in the above manner is the aluminium of (ithink it was what was called the 18 gauge size) was riveted to the hard board in the manner of a frame - strips of about 4" width along the four borders of the Hardhard board pannel with two dioganal pieces as well. The Aluminium works like an reinforcement and mounting point for the clips.

The Pannel then is covered with a Cotton Layer on the upholstery side and a layer of thin foam on the inside - between the pannel & the door. This will give good noise insulation and will prevent the rattling as well.

As Karl said use of very good quality clips is very very important. The Lower side can actually secured by aluminium channel.

Hope this gives you a solution

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 22nd July 2010 at 11:20.
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:10   #71
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to interrupt you people but are the holding clips available new in the market. In fiats/PP the hardboard is secured with the clips from side and a metal "U" holds the panel from the upper side. Off course the bottom is secured vide a pre welded channel to the door.
When i inquired about the clips as well as "U" clips some one stated to use the push buttons used by Maruti in the Eeco. So can the same be used as a substitute.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:39   #72

Thanks Ram,

It sounds great, I'm just waiting for the rains to end in Delhi before I can get these panels changed, I think my brain has started rattling now with the doors
But I'm just wondering who'd be able to make these panels for me in Delhi. Any ideas, anyone?
Old 11th May 2011, 12:48   #73
BHPian

re: Fully restored 1961 model Hindustan Ambassador

What is the status of your car now.Update some pictures of it.
Old 13th August 2013, 10:29   #74
BHPian

Apologies for bumping this thread up.

I may be laying my hands on a 1962 OHV Mark 1 ambassador soon, currently running with a Matador F305(?) engine and original ''hand gear''.
I plan to swap the engine with a ISZ diesel and a 5 speed gear box, I would like tok now if this GB can be used with the original steering mounted gear lever.

Note to Mod: Please move this query to the appropriate thread if it does not belong here. I could not locate a thread for Ambassador queries.

Last edited by Roomy : 13th August 2013 at 10:50.
Old 13th August 2013, 12:53   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
I plan to swap the engine with a ISZ diesel and a 5 speed gear box, I would like tok now if this GB can be used with the original steering mounted gear lever.
I dont think there's is anything ready-made to allow you to perform this conversion as-is.
But could you run cables from the column mounted shift to the 5-speed?
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks