Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2010, 09:47   #1
BHPian

Jawa Perak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Not sure of the oldest model Jawa but know of two Jawa Perak 250 singles in North India. One is in Pune and the other one I cant seem to remember, seen it on some website for sale. These were the late 1940s/early 1050s models. Then there are a couple of Jawa 350 Type 354 here in Bangalore and Hyderabad. There are 2 (plus one incomplete) Cezetas in the South; one complete and one incomplete one in Bangalore and one in Chennai; not sure of the models but these should be from the 1950s.

As for the oldest Yezdi, that is kind of an odd question. Yezdis were manufactured from 1974, so U will find dime a dozen of these in the country. But if you want a literal answer, the first Yezdi's engine number should read something like this IJ-B250-000001. Now, finding this bike would be something great.
TuffRyder and gendarmee,
Thanks for the interest in my Perak 250. As per your PMs I am uploading the the pics. I am posting on this thread as in your post you have mentioned the existence of 2 peraks in India.
This bike was recently acquired by me locally, for a royal sum of Rs. 7500/- (thats no typo error).
As you can see in the pics the bike is in a poor state and is awaiting complete restoration. The restoration will start once I source the original parts for the model viz. silencers, seat, mudguards, tank switch etc.
I'll be needing all you expert's advice and suggestions once the work starts. Also if you can help out with the parts, I'll be grateful.

Regards
Perak

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th February 2010 at 11:15. Reason: Removing non-working attachment links.
Old 26th January 2010, 11:08   #2
BHPian

Jawa Perak 250

Goofed up on the uploads, I guess. So here I go again.
Perak

Jawa Perak-dscf1317.jpg
Jawa Perak-dscf1318.jpg
Jawa Perak-dscf1319.jpg
Jawa Perak-dscf1321.jpg
Jawa Perak-dscf1322.jpg
Jawa Perak-dscf1325.jpg
Jawa Perak-dscf1471.jpg
Jawa Perak-dscf1472.jpg
Perak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2010, 21:20   #3
BHPian

Perak:

Wow your really really lucky to get one at that sum. Although this bike needs a lot of original parts, itz not impossible to get it. You might have to spend a bit on it though. For starters, I can get you the original aluminum ignition switch panel with the bakelight bottom that comes on the tank. The one on your is from a later jawa 353. That switch is with a person in Bangalore and he is quoting 7k for it. Let me know if you are interested.

Almost every part you are looking for is available on the net albiet a little expensive. If you know anyone coming back from Germany, that is the best bet. The major things that you need to look out for now are the tank, exhausts, throttle unit, and meter. Do you have both the side boxes? In the last two pics I can see one side. If not, I can try and make a replica from the ones I have. Rear fender shouldn't be a problem. If you can get a good picture of it, you can get it made. Nothing like if you get the original one though. Once you get the bigger stuff sorted out, the smaller details can done over time, like the carb, the carb cover, the air filter, foot rests, etc.

On looking at the pictures carefully, please check if the engine is the correct one, I have my doubts on it. Did you get the papers with it?

cheers
Old 27th January 2010, 10:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Perak:

Wow your really really lucky to get one at that sum. Although this bike needs a lot of original parts, itz not impossible to get it. You might have to spend a bit on it though. For starters, I can get you the original aluminum ignition switch panel with the bakelight bottom that comes on the tank. The one on your is from a later jawa 353. That switch is with a person in Bangalore and he is quoting 7k for it. Let me know if you are interested.

Almost every part you are looking for is available on the net albiet a little expensive. If you know anyone coming back from Germany, that is the best bet. The major things that you need to look out for now are the tank, exhausts, throttle unit, and meter. Do you have both the side boxes? In the last two pics I can see one side. If not, I can try and make a replica from the ones I have. Rear fender shouldn't be a problem. If you can get a good picture of it, you can get it made. Nothing like if you get the original one though. Once you get the bigger stuff sorted out, the smaller details can done over time, like the carb, the carb cover, the air filter, foot rests, etc.

On looking at the pictures carefully, please check if the engine is the correct one, I have my doubts on it. Did you get the papers with it?

cheers
TuffRyder
Thanks for the inputs on the Perak.
In reference to the ignition switch, is this NOS or used, and is it functional. Is it similar to the one in the pic below
Jawa Perak-jawa-1951-top.jpg

Regarding the engine I am uploading the scans of Registration Book and the Vin tag of the bike, these numbers match the number on the engine block (I will upload the picture of this soon, as the bike is parked at my farm). All three numbers are a match, so can we safely infer the engine is original ? Also what what were the reasons for your doubt?

Both the side boxes are present, and thanks for the offer.

RC Book
Jawa Perak-scan0004.jpg

Vin Tag
Jawa Perak-51jawa-perak-engine-no..jpg

Thanks and regards
Perak
Old 27th January 2010, 19:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perak View Post
TuffRyder
Thanks for the inputs on the Perak.
In reference to the ignition switch, is this NOS or used, and is it functional. Is it similar to the one in the pic below

Regarding the engine I am uploading the scans of Registration Book and the Vin tag of the bike, these numbers match the number on the engine block (I will upload the picture of this soon, as the bike is parked at my farm). All three numbers are a match, so can we safely infer the engine is original ? Also what what were the reasons for your doubt?

Both the side boxes are present, and thanks for the offer.

Thanks and regards
Perak
Yes, it is the same switch. It is a used one but in pretty good condition. He had two of them and hopefully he still has it. It is a direct fit on even the later tanks.

Im sorry but I thought the engine cases came with the jawa logo on it but that is not the case. I woudn't really rely on the numbers, especially the engine one, as they can easily punch them. Can you give me the first three digits of the engine number please? Should start with a 3.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help. I would love to see this one back to its former glory.

cheers
Old 28th January 2010, 22:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I woudn't really rely on the numbers, especially the engine one, as they can easily punch them.
Please let me know if I can be of any further help. I would love to see this one back to its former glory.

cheers
The point is TuffRyder, that if the person had been knowledgeable enough to punch perak engine nos. on an ordinary Jawa engine, then he certainly would'nt have sold off the bike for a paltry 7.5ks. What says?
Actually I came to know about the bike through my ex mechanic. When I first went to see the bike, the owner didn't disclose the asking price, but asked me for a quote. So I quoted 4k and came back. Around a week later I got a call from this gentleman, that he is ready to sell the bike, but he wouldn't settle for anything less than 7.5k. So I immediately paid the requisite amount, loaded the bike in my Armada, paid 1.5k to my ex mechanic(alongwith 200/- for a Yo-Ho-Ho-and a bottle of rum) and everyone's happy and satisfied.
Perak
Old 30th January 2010, 08:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perak View Post
The point is TuffRyder, that if the person had been knowledgeable enough to punch perak engine nos. on an ordinary Jawa engine, then he certainly would'nt have sold off the bike for a paltry 7.5ks. What says?
Actually I came to know about the bike through my ex mechanic. When I first went to see the bike, the owner didn't disclose the asking price, but asked me for a quote. So I quoted 4k and came back. Around a week later I got a call from this gentleman, that he is ready to sell the bike, but he wouldn't settle for anything less than 7.5k. So I immediately paid the requisite amount, loaded the bike in my Armada, paid 1.5k to my ex mechanic(alongwith 200/- for a Yo-Ho-Ho-and a bottle of rum) and everyone's happy and satisfied.
Perak
Why I said that was, it was much cheaper to buy a "good" engine from a bike that is going to scrap than to rebuild the engine. I have seen many people doing this on their bikes and just getting the numbers punched in. This was in Bangalore, remember we had plenty of them Jawas here at one point in time.

You sir, are one lucky man I must say. I would have bought my mech a bottle of single malt for such a bike.

Cheers
Old 30th January 2010, 10:53   #8
BHPian

My dear friend Gendarmee. U really made my day. Thanks a lot for the info-laden PM and for your interest.
In fact, I was involved with the cars, so I didn't get an opportunity to explore the net for parts and info. The bike after arrival was parked away at our farm on the outskirts of Lucknow, to be taken up for resto at a later date.
I first heard of the Pune Perak through TuffRyder's post and had never seen the pics. Thanx once again.
Regarding your queries, just give me a few days and I''ll go and photograph the bike all around with the close-ups of parts. About the restoration of the bike, this is going to take some time, due to the backlog of cars, but seeing yours and TuffRyder's interest and enthusiasm, I'll try squeezing it in between at the earliest, with regular updates on TBHP. BTW this would be our first bike restoration (with you gents help and guidance, of course)
Regards
Perak

PS: I have posted this reply to your PM, as this is for TuffRyder also. Thanks
Old 4th February 2010, 06:54   #9
BHPian

Perak: When you do start the restoration, please start new thread on the vintage section. It would be a great learning thing for many of us guys.
Old 4th February 2010, 14:24   #10
BHPian

Dear TuffRyder and Gendarmee
Ill be uploading the close-ups of parts soon and then we can have a detailed discussion on what needs to be changed and what all can stay along with other nitty gritties.
Perak
Old 4th February 2010, 17:40   #11
BHPian

beautiful

perak, this is a beautiful bike. i mean it might not look it at present, but the heart is of gold. All the best in bringing it back to its glory mate. do post pics once done and the detailed process ..
Old 5th February 2010, 23:17   #12
BHPian

Perak

Well Folks!
Here's the "Izzat and Abru" of my Perak, laid bare to the Xray eyes of Team BHPians.

Pic 1 - Engine no. stamped on the block matches the VIN tag and RC book. The no. is *11-10459. (Keeping my fingers crossed about this being original)
Jawa Perak-01.jpg

Pics 2 & 2a - The headlight rim and the lens with Yezdi script needs to be changed.
Jawa Perak-02.jpg
Jawa Perak-02a.jpg

Pics 3 & 3a - Front mudguard looks original
Jawa Perak-03.jpg
Jawa Perak-03a.jpg

Pic 4 - The original colour? visible on vin tag removal.
Jawa Perak-04.jpg

Pics 5 to 5f - The gear lever/ kick starter is single like in later Jawas. Can double levers ala Perak, be fixed on the same kick shaft and ratchet or the whole unit needs to be changed?
Jawa Perak-05.jpg
Jawa Perak-05a.jpg
Jawa Perak-05b.jpg
Jawa Perak-05c.jpg
Jawa Perak-05d.jpg
Jawa Perak-05e.jpg
Jawa Perak-05f.jpg

Pics 6 to 6b - "The Great Indian Jugaad" Bajaj seat with support welded in. Who needs springs?
Jawa Perak-06.jpg
Jawa Perak-06a.jpg
Jawa Perak-06c.jpg

Pics 7 to 7c - The front hub/drum
Jawa Perak-07.jpg
Jawa Perak-07a.jpg
Jawa Perak-07b.jpg
Jawa Perak-07c.jpg

Pic 8 - The speedometer is from Enfield with 00001 on Odo.
Jawa Perak-08.jpg

Pics 9 to 9e - Fuel tank switch
Jawa Perak-09.jpg
Jawa Perak-09a.jpg
Jawa Perak-09b.jpg
Jawa Perak-09c.jpg
Jawa Perak-09d.jpg
Jawa Perak-09e.jpg

Pics 10 to 10b - Front Fork and Shockers
Jawa Perak-10.jpg
Jawa Perak-10a.jpg
Jawa Perak-10b.jpg

.............to be continued

Moderator Bhai/s, Is it possible to shift all posts #27 onwards to a new thread "Jawa Perak" as presently we're posting under a Yezdi thread.
Old 6th February 2010, 00:02   #13
BHPian

Perak 2

Pics 11 to 11d - Rear Shockers
Jawa Perak-11.jpg
Jawa Perak-11a.jpg
Jawa Perak-11b.jpg
Jawa Perak-11c.jpg
Jawa Perak-11d.jpg

Pics 12 to 12b - Handlebars
Jawa Perak-12.jpg
Jawa Perak-12a.jpg
Jawa Perak-12b.jpg

Pics 13 & 13a - Headlight
Jawa Perak-13.jpg
Jawa Perak-13a.jpg

Pics 14 to 14c - Block & Head
Jawa Perak-14.jpg
Jawa Perak-14a.jpg
Jawa Perak-14b.jpg
Jawa Perak-14c.jpg

Pics 15 to 15c - On scratching and sanding the fuel tank, the Jawa script became visible. This had been filled up with body filler/putty and painted over.
Jawa Perak-15.jpg
Jawa Perak-15a.jpg
Jawa Perak-15b.jpg
Jawa Perak-15c.jpg

Pics 16 to 16b - The carb cover has been cut to adjust the bigger air filter.
Jawa Perak-16.jpg
Jawa Perak-16a.jpg
Jawa Perak-16b.jpg

Pic 17 - Clutch
Jawa Perak-17.jpg

Pics 18 & 18a - Tools and Battery Boxes
Jawa Perak-18.jpg
Jawa Perak-18a.jpg

Pics 19 to 19c - Rear Hub and drum
Jawa Perak-19.jpg
Jawa Perak-19a.jpg
Jawa Perak-19b.jpg
Jawa Perak-19c.jpg

...................to be continued
Perak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2010, 00:05   #14
BHPian

^^^ Amazing bike. This deserves to be restored.
Old 6th February 2010, 00:18   #15
BHPian

Perak 3

Pics 20 to 20c - The mufflers. Although the mufflers are not Perak's but they seemed thinner than the ones on my Yezdi Cl II.
Jawa Perak-20.jpg
Jawa Perak-20a.jpg
Jawa Perak-20b.jpg

Pics 21 to 21b - The carb is Jikov.
Jawa Perak-21.jpg
Jawa Perak-21a.jpg
Jawa Perak-21b.jpg

Pic 22 - The cap on the Left Rear Shocker is missing.
Jawa Perak-22.jpg

That's all for now friends.
Waiting anxiously for your observations and comments.
Regards
Perak

BTW can any of you Jawaheads prepare a rough estimate, about the resto costs. Thanks in advance.
Perak is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks