Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2011, 21:48   #31
h14
BHPian

Thx. This is a standard one from dupont re-finishes.
Old 16th August 2011, 22:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Story of my Amby

Happy to see a Mark II in its original glory. While restoring handle it like the iris in your eye. The mark II emblems on the fenders may be taken care of, or in other worgs take care while removing the paint off it. Take utmost care.
Old 16th August 2011, 22:51   #33
h14
BHPian

Thanks rajeev. The emblem that you see in the picture is already broken and hence it is left as such. I have already got hold of a set of emblems for it.
Old 16th August 2011, 22:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

That is good. I remember the Mark II emblems were originally held to the fenders with clips. Threaded ones were available as spare with HM dealers as after market ones.
Old 9th February 2012, 12:36   #35
h14
BHPian

An update.

Work has been progressing at a pace that is very hard to explain (Something slower than snail's pace).

I have not visited the workshop for almost 3-4 months now. The mechanical works are now complete and the car is back to the painter for painting the under-chassis, wheels and for the final polishing.

Once that is done, pending are the AC followed by trial runs for a week or two and finally for the interiors at Koyas. The grille, bumpers etc are back from nickeling and polishing and are ready to be fitted.

It has always been the mechanic who has been delaying a lot and really playing on my patience. Though his work so far has been perfect, tough to accept such time-lines from him.

Adding a couple of pics sent by my friend from Pollachi, pardon me for the poor quality image.

Do note that these pics was taken before the final polishing. I'm happy with the paint job.

The Story of my Amby-imag0214.jpg

The Story of my Amby-imag0213.jpg

The Story of my Amby-pa220114.jpg

Last edited by h14 : 9th February 2012 at 12:40.
Old 9th February 2012, 15:20   #36
BHPian

Now am jealous, really jealous. Can't wait to see the final result. Wonderful project and all the best.
This was something i always dreamed of doing. We had a black 61' Amby in our family (Bought second hand by my dad in 68) until 2001 (Sadly the year my dad passed away). Infact I was the one sold the car off on impulse in 2001 (A bad year for me)
I realized my mistake a little later and I wanted to buy back the car couple of years later, only to be told that the guy who i had sold the car to, sold it to someone else! He didn't know the whereabouts of that person either.
Ever since i've been trying to locate the car but in vain. I guess my dream will remain a dream and I have only myself to blame for selling the car in the first place

PS: If anyone comes across an amby with the number TNN 523, do let me know. I sold the car to a person in Ooty.

Last edited by aadithsince1980 : 9th February 2012 at 15:21.
aadithsince1980 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 15:45   #37
h14
BHPian

Thanks aadith! Hope you will be able to find it some day, dont give up on it. I've already noted down that number. Will inform my sources and let you know if I get any news.
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 09:33   #38
BHPian

Hi,
The pace of work will always very slow in almost all the workshops..

Me too from Coimbatore,working on the Amby (Tinkering,Painting and Interiors).
When you are set to fit the Seats kindly put some images here.

Koyas a perfect area for seating work..Update the status weekly,So that we can get some ideas from it too.

Link of my Amby work :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...mbassador.html

Last edited by dmaheshkumar : 16th February 2012 at 09:35. Reason: link addition
dmaheshkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 14:40   #39
h14
BHPian

All the mechanical and painting works are now complete and the car is now with the electritian. Once he completes his job, next would be for the AC.

No pictures as of now as I'm thinking of hiding it for some more time until all the fittings are in place.
Old 28th April 2012, 12:22   #40
h14
BHPian

Electrical works are complete. It was only after this, we found out that there was something fishy with the water flow. Had a feeling that the water/coolant was not flowing properly and we decided to check the thermostat.

The thermostat seemed just fine, and finally the mystery was cracked. While fitting the engine head gasket, it had been done by the previous owners with some paste. This paste over the years had melted / oozed down and piled up in the water flowing areas which had ended up the flow properly.

So eventually, we had to open up engine and clean the areas. This has caused further delays. Now all is well with the engine and the water flow.

The car has now gone for the AC works. Expecting the AC work to be over by Monday.
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:25   #41
BHPian

Hi,
So going to enjoy the ride soon.Nice.Kindly post some images of the thermostat and the area where you connected it.Since i heard from many people that, due to dust in engine block, Thermostat will always got lock.

Test the beedings before start the fittings work(Seat,Dash etc.,)...
Old 24th May 2012, 10:06   #42
h14
BHPian

Thanks Mahesh! Now everything is complete. There are few oil drops here and there. I've asked them to thoroughly check and arrest the leaks before bringing it for the upholstery. Also, I have asked them to drive few kms everyday.

Hope to get it to Koyas by this week. Let's see.
Old 24th May 2012, 10:17   #43
BHPian

Hi,
When are you taking your car to koyas.Whether you have selected the seats and upholstery.

Since i am also from coimbatore, I can have a look at you car.I am from sulur and also spoken with MAKESH.Can you share you number so that i can call you.

Last edited by dmaheshkumar : 24th May 2012 at 10:18.
Old 31st May 2012, 18:25   #44
h14
BHPian

Sure Mahesh, will let you know while taking it to Koyas. Will PM you my number.
Old 24th June 2012, 02:23   #45
h14
BHPian

After everything is done, the engine has started giving problems . It's been leaking oil here and there and I had insisted that the car should not be bought back to Coimbatore until the oil leak problem is completely resolved.

So this is the reason for no updates from my side. Will be going to Coimbatore by next week, and hope there is some progress.

Praying that all issues would be resolved soon.

Last edited by h14 : 24th June 2012 at 02:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks