Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2012, 08:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Story of my Amby

Koyas are quite good at upholstery work. Was very famous when Ambys were all around. many from Kerala, even from far off places, used to take their car to Koyas.
Better to look in for specific period vintage upholstery as your car is so very genuine and good looking.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 20:06   #47
h14
BHPian

Sure rajeev. Thanks for the suggestion. Koyas is still doing well, even now one requires to fix an appointment atleast 4 yrs in advance.
Old 4th August 2012, 21:23   #48
h14
BHPian

Change of heart :(

Off late, things haven't been going as per my plans and finally decided to change the engine.

The oil leaks were a bit too much and it was also found to have back compression.

So took the call and decided no more fiddling around with the TATA motor.

The Options

Once it was decided on changing the engine, next big decision was on which engine to plonk in.

The requirement was diesel, so the options in hand were Isuzu or Matador. Top priority was Isuzu, but the exorbitant price of the new as well as the old engines in the market were a bit too much.

A brand new Euro 4 engine with gearbox cost Rs.1.9 Lakh rupees and that was way too much!

Older ones in the markets were prices 40k and above only for the engine.

So after much thought, decided to go on for matador engine with the Isuzu gear box. The main reason being that a very good matador engine is available with my friend. He has this engine with him as a spare just in case if any of his rides needed one.

So as of now going in for the matador+isuzu combo.
Old 6th August 2012, 21:05   #49
BHPian

Hey, do not do that mistake. I did that & went back to a Isuzu engine. In Guntur, AP they scrap latest Ambassadors you can get a good engine + gearbox for 35K. If you want please PM me I will give you the contacts Ph#.
Old 6th August 2012, 21:28   #50
h14
BHPian

Thanks for your offer to help jagadeesh. But works have started. Also, we already have an amby and couple of Hindustan 14's running in this combo for many years.

Also this is a very common and successful combination and I'm surprised you had problems. It will be informative if you can share the issues that you faced.

Last edited by h14 : 6th August 2012 at 21:45.
Old 6th August 2012, 22:38   #51
BHPian

Hi H14,

The Push Rods used to break & the engine head used to blow up if the car did long runs with AC, though the car used to run well on high ways there were instances when we touched 120 -130 on it. On long runs we could not run the car with confidence, however after putting the Isuzu engine we did close to a 1 lakhs KM in the past 4 years by just changing the engine oil & got the Injector pump job once.

Thanks & Regards,
Jagadeesh
Old 6th September 2012, 15:38   #52

Hi Jagadeesh

Iam looking for a ISUZU engine for my amby
please guide
Sri
Old 17th September 2012, 23:39   #53
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagadeesh.b View Post
The Push Rods used to break & the engine head used to blow up if the car did long runs with AC, though the car used to run well on high ways there were instances when we touched 120 -130 on it. On long runs we could not run the car with confidence, however after putting the Isuzu engine we did close to a 1 lakhs KM in the past 4 years by just changing the engine oil & got the Injector pump job once.
Interesting one in there. But glad to know that it is now doing well on Isuzu!

Now, an update on my Amby. The car is now ready and doing great. I'm yet to see it, but it is arriving at Coimbatore tomorrow morning and will be heading straight to Koyas.

Once work is completed over there, it will head back to Pollachi for the final polishing.

Will post some pictures tomorrow from Koyas.
Old 20th September 2012, 22:13   #54
h14
BHPian

Car is in Koyas and expected delivery on Monday. After that it will head back to Pollachi for the remaining works.

Drove it around for few kilometers and the engine and gear box were just too good. It cleared all my worries and I'm really happy with the car.

The front bumper is gone for nickeling and hence running on spare bumpers in this picture and hence you will find it rusty.

The Story of my Amby-dsc_0424.jpg
Old 20th September 2012, 23:23   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
The front bumper is gone for nickeling and hence running on spare bumpers in this picture and hence you will find it rusty.
Looks like its turned out well! Try to refit the original rims, these look like the ones on the last of the Ambys.
Old 20th September 2012, 23:32   #56
h14
BHPian

Thx Stanher! Yes, I'm hunting for the original wheels, these are from the Nova.
Old 21st September 2012, 08:59   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thx Stanher! Yes, I'm hunting for the original wheels
I presumed this shouldnt be the case with the Ambys as well!

Anyways, 'hope you get em soon. BTW, do you get the plain, convex original type hubcaps in stainless Steel (manufactured by COX) over there??
Old 21st September 2012, 09:14   #58
h14
BHPian

I was told that those hub caps are available easily, but have not checked it out yet. But that is the one I would be putting on.
Old 19th October 2012, 13:21   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Car is in Koyas and expected delivery on Monday. After that it will head back to Pollachi for the remaining works.

Drove it around for few kilometers and the engine and gear box were just too good. It cleared all my worries and I'm really happy with the car.

Attachment 989494
Hi!

The car looks really nice! Good to know that you are happy with the new engine an gearbox. Happy motoring!
CAC444 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 12:31   #60
h14
BHPian

A quick update.

The car is finally back home. Still few minor issues to be sorted out. Drove it from Pollachi to Coimbatore about 40 kms and the car was awesome

The AC chills brilliantly and even though it was on "Lo", I had to swith off the compressor once in a while as it was getting too cold for comfort in the evenings.

The engine and gearbox did well too. On few occations, I mis-shifted from 2nd to 5th instead of 3rd and it continued to pull without a fuss.

Now I'm back to Chennai. Couple of pics from my mobile for now. Not taken any shots of the interior since they are still on the workshop-covers.
Attached Thumbnails
The Story of my Amby-dsc_0474.jpg  

The Story of my Amby-dsc_0475.jpg  

h14 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks