Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 22:48   #1
BHPian

Fiat-o-graphy in Ahmednagar (MS) - My Hometown

This thread will show you photos of beautiful Padminis and 118NEs in and around Ahmednagar (MS). This is my hometown. In old days we saw around 80% of CAR population as FIAT1100Ds, Premier Padminis, 118NEs. After 1990 there was a decline in FIAT/Padmini numbers, but still 137Ds and 138Ds were purchased till closure of PAL in 1998. Various RTO Number series we saw in Ahmednagar are,
1970s – MXI, MXM
1980s – MGM, MVB, MJF, BTI (For very small period)
1990s –MH -16 & MH-17
Last week I’ve visited A’Nagar and decided to click all Padminis /118NEs, still plying on road along with their proud owners. (Plz ignore the dates on my camera) While discussing with owners I could see what a respect and proud, all Indians are having about their FIAT/Padmini cars. I came across such a personality (Rajaram Bhapkar alias Bhapkar Guruji(sir)) who owns a fleet of white FIATs. As a first post I will post his picture with one of his fiat and a newspaper cutting in 1999 ( If you are not able to read on screen plz download, zoom and must read) . His passion is to cut rocks on hills , make roads and own white Padminis. He has driven them on such self made roads on hills where no other car will dare to go. (except SUVs /Jeeps). Now his age is 80 years but still he visits A’Nagar from Gundegaon (30 km) in one of his FIATs.
Every week I will be uploading at least one owner with his FIAT. One of my close friend (Uday) is helping me from Ahmednagar.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat-o-graphy in Ahmednagar (MS) - My Hometown-100_0476.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th June 2010 at 10:36. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external fornt editors, also Preview before Submitting posts. thanks
Old 17th June 2010, 10:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear nvkale2 - it is indeed nice to see Padminis in Ahmednagar. I used to visit VRDE Ahmednagar very often when I worked as a test engineer in PAL. We used to test the Padminis and 118NEs there. I look forward to seeing more photographs of MH16s etc.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 17th June 2010, 11:47   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Nagar still has some interesting cars running around. You can often see some classics being worked on at the petrol pump near the VRDE. Recently I have seen a Beetle, a Vauxhall and a Morris, to name a few.

As you pass by Natraj Hotel in one of the lanes you can see many Fiats in the line of garages, mostly junk. Amongst them is a Delight with a good set of bumpers worth salvaging if you are interested.
Old 17th June 2010, 20:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Narendra..this is pure Fiat information for me as i never knew this.We always associated Fiat 1100s with mumbai.Very interesting to know this.Please enlighten us more.
Old 18th June 2010, 00:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

So you mean Mumbai has competition. Kale saab noble thought of posting and introducing a Fiatian every week. All the best I am glued to this thread here after.
Old 18th June 2010, 01:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi Narendra !
This seems a thread to watch for - Looking forward to more pics.
Umm.. can you make it a little more frequent ? A week is too long a wait for delicious Fiat pics.
Old 19th June 2010, 23:30   #7
BHPian

Article on Bhapkar Guruji in 1999

Thanx Behram Sir, Superselect, Hillram, karlosdeville, chanu for encouraging. Actually I have clicked hardly 10-12 Padminis in 2-3 days of my stay. I just want to post slowly and keep my thread alive. Anyway two of my friends (uday & Nandu) are helping me by clicking some more FIATs with their owners but still I may not maintain the posting frequency. Plz bear with me n enjoy slowly
So here is the article which was published in Mid-day in 1999. Life and passion of this person is amazing. (I'l request if you can not read on screen, download-zoom and read) . I got stunned when i heard he has 04 Padminis and 01 118NE in his stable n that to all in white colours. Immediately I've decided to go to his village Gundegaon and click his photos in his FIAT stable!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat-o-graphy in Ahmednagar (MS) - My Hometown-scan0001_compress.jpg  

Old 20th June 2010, 09:26   #8
BHPian

One more photo of Shri. Bhapkar

Actully after hearing that he has a fleet of white FIATs ( 04 Padminis and 01 118NE), I have decided to visit his village and click his photos in his FIAT Stable
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat-o-graphy in Ahmednagar (MS) - My Hometown-100_0475.jpg  

Old 20th June 2010, 11:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

A tight salute to the true INDIAN

40 YEARS SAVINGS SPENT TO CONNECT TWO VILLAGES!! Its beyond imagination, this gentleman is no less than any freedom fighter.

We are honoured to know about this person, I salute this gentleman for his noble act. There are people spending their lifetime to rob enough to keep their future generations rich and here we have a true INDIAN who has spent his lifetime savings to connect two villages, Kale saab I'm sure there must be a reason for it, what did he get in response from our Govt. I'm eager to know.

A true INDIAN drives a FIAT thats what I call a FIATtitude...
Old 20th June 2010, 11:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
40 YEARS SAVINGS SPENT TO CONNECT TWO VILLAGES!! Its beyond imagination, this gentleman is no less than any freedom fighter.

We are honoured to know about this person, I salute this gentleman for his noble act. There are people spending their lifetime to rob enough to keep their future generations rich and here we have a true INDIAN who has spent his lifetime savings to connect two villages, Kale saab I'm sure there must be a reason for it, what did he get in response from our Govt. I'm eager to know.

A true INDIAN drives a FIAT thats what I call a FIATtitude...
Hi Chanu

I am sure you've heard of the saying and "thats how the west was built" West meaning the the The american wild west. This is the spirit that is required from more of us to build our nation. Most of America in the early 19th century was built by the spirits of pioneers such as this. All of us need to learn from this and get moving. My salutes to many more unsung heroes working at the micro level like this.

Okay Back to the Fiats. have you come across any older Fiats on your numerous trips there.
Old 20th June 2010, 18:55   #11
BANNED

Narendra: You are making we FIATians proud by posting such articles here. Thanks to all the Fiats Clubs, now spread across India, for bringing FIATs back on road and we are showing the World how great a car Fiat 1100 is.
Old 21st June 2010, 21:45   #12
BHPian

Nice pictures Narinder hats off to you for the effort you put to celebrate Fiatism, really you are one of the great Fiatian I ever seen.

Please upload the remaining pictures too, we Fiatians feel proud of you.

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th June 2010 at 16:01. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post. Thanks
Old 24th June 2010, 20:58   #13
BHPian

Visit to Gundegaon Village and farm of FIATs

Here is 2nd beauty in his white FIAT collection. MH-16E 995. This is 137D of 1996 make. You can see my son and relative of Shri. Bhapkar. Still running good and he prefers for long drive more than 60-70 kms.
Attached Images

Old 29th June 2010, 22:54   #14
BHPian

02 more beauties in his FIAT stable

Hi , See 02 more beauties. 118NE is having some major engine problem so lying since last 6-7 months. The other old beauty(MZH 42 x 2 =4284) is of 1970s and still in running condition. But since on petrol use is only local for 1-3 km drive.
In next post I'l show all beauties together with proud owner!!!!!!!!
And of course with me n next generation FIAT lover (my son) .
I'l share his FIAT love for you.......
When I 've first visited Mumbai alongwith him, he got stunned after seeing so many FIATs plying around. he was just clapping his hand after seeing each Taxi. I can't forget enthu n surprise in his eyes. He was insisting to hire FIAT taxi only and i could not turn down his proposal. So from Airport to Dadar we enjoyed in FIAT.He was sitting next to driver and enjoying roaring accelaration after signals and the perfect riding skill of Mumbai taxi driver. And driver was also enjoying with his demands " uncle esko harao....ab esko harao......."
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat-o-graphy in Ahmednagar (MS) - My Hometown-100_0482.jpg  

Old 30th June 2010, 00:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow Kale saab, as the saying goes in sanskrit "yatha raja thatha praja" (As the kind so does the people). The love what you have for these magnificant machines so does your son. I guess its in the jeans. We are so happy for you.

With this I want to share my pocket of a lovely experience which happened recently. My nephew who is completing his 10th month the toddler wanted me to take him out so I made him sit in my Delight I didn't know he loves it so much that he immediately started mimicing the noise of a engine which was a wonder to me and he was nicely moving the steering to the left and right side and shifting gear at times. he could reach the steering so he stood up and driving. Man this was a out of world experience he was laughing and enjoying. The sweet surprise came to me when he spoke the first words of his life.. TATA TATA my amma was so happy then he continued it till today and says TATA to us when we leave home. I gues another 10 months old FIATian has arrived.

Last edited by chanu : 30th June 2010 at 00:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks