Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2010, 11:07   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex RAP View Post
@Jayant: same one. @chanu, i picked it up couple of days back, after dithering for a while whether I should or should not. Someone picked up the original hubcaps before me :(
Rex Rap,

Nice buy, you can restore this to be a great car. All the best for the restoration.

Do try to keep it as original as possible. Do post more photos of the as is condition and later the restoration process too.

Regards,
Old 18th July 2010, 19:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Jayant: same one. @chanu, i picked it up couple of days back, after dithering for a while whether I should or should not. Someone picked up the original hubcaps before me :(
Congratulations Rex!! that a worth buy, I am sorry you couldn't manage to get hub caps, give another try form the buyer. What are your plans for this beauty, caravan? something else ... curios to know.
Old 19th July 2010, 00:05   #18
BHPian

Planning to restore it to use as a family runabout on weekends.. right now, it does not have the original engine, so if someone can point me to one, I will be grateful. In the meantime, restore the body as close to original, get it running with the diesel engine, and as time and better resources come by, take it a notch higher. If anyone has pictures / manuals / website links to help me as guidance, it will be most helpful.
Old 20th July 2010, 08:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Don't know if this picture would be helpful to you but found this while digging for some information on American classics. Although its 1958 chevrolet suburban carryall 4wd the exterior resembles the same as yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Apache 31 van-chevrolet.jpg  

Old 20th July 2010, 09:25   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Don't know if this picture would be helpful to you but found this while digging for some information on American classics. Although its 1958 chevrolet suburban carryall 4wd the exterior resembles the same as yours.
That reminds me- the 70s movie Yaadon Ki Baraat also has a similar van, in the same colour, I think? It appears towards the end of the movie where they have a shoot out with the baddies. Also AB drives in blue in Deewar, in a getaway scene?
Old 25th August 2010, 21:46   #21
BHPian

Saw Yaadon Ki Baraat on TV today. Yes, thats also a Chevrolet Apache 31, just like mine. I noted that the registration number of the van in the movie was MRZ 4902.
Old 25th August 2010, 23:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

What are your plans for the van, did you get those hub caps? what is the current status of the van?
Old 26th August 2010, 06:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Rex RAP any update on the car ? BTW can you share the procedure of procuring this medical van from the medical dump. I think there is yearly auction of these scrap metals (as per them). Then how did you got hold of this directly. AM curious to know because am told here is also an oldtimer chevy van standing in the medical dump.
Old 26th August 2010, 17:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Seen a pickup truck with the same front. Looks like the van maybe pickup+body.
Old 26th August 2010, 23:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Rex RAP any update on the car ? BTW can you share the procedure of procuring this medical van from the medical dump. I think there is yearly auction of these scrap metals (as per them). Then how did you got hold of this directly. AM curious to know because am told here is also an oldtimer chevy van standing in the medical dump.

Hi Sagar what's up bro? I can understand your curiosity and even I share the same. Rex we are eager to know the story and the project plans. To talk about the medical dump I have a story I few months ago went to a govt hospital and seen a Standard van just rotting I have even posted pic of it, I lost my heart to it, I wish to convert a old Standard or a Matador into a caravan (done up my me and myself only) and carry my family for outings/drives.
Old 17th September 2010, 14:10   #26
BHPian

great find! those things are getting rare on this side of the pond even.

a few questions for you guys......what exactly do you guys do for restoration parts (body, mechanical, interior) over there? are they readily available somewhere out there? do you make your own parts? do you rebuild what you can?

although a different year and model, this is a suburban, hopefully this provides a bit of inspiration.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Apache 31 van-suburban.jpg  

Last edited by Fantasy : 17th September 2010 at 14:15.
Old 19th July 2012, 08:58   #27
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Apache 31 van

restoration work... sigh!! dealing with tinkers is so painful, again and again. in the process, they cracked my front windshield.
Rex RAP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 15:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

I know the pain of getting work done by tinkers, so sorry that they broke the windshield. You may have tough time getting one again. The ones who custom make them charge bomb for same.

Where in bangalore are you doing up the restoration. Please put up som epictures.
Old 19th July 2012, 17:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
restoration work... sigh!! dealing with tinkers is so painful, again and again. in the process, they cracked my front windshield.
That is painful indeed, but any architectural glass guy should be able to make it as a heat toughned glass if you give him the exact same form fabricated out of a MS sheet. Heat toughned glass is not as strong as normal toughned glass but should do the job if your are careful.

Make your tin guys do the mould for free as punishment!
Old 19th July 2012, 20:15   #30
BHPian

A very Different and exciting find Indeed, and Congratulations on the Purchase.
Please give the Tinkers a . Very Sad.
Looking forward to this Re Build..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks