Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2010, 20:39   #1
BHPian

Chevrolet Apache 31 van

I recently came across a Chevrolet Apache 31 closed body van. Looks like a 1958-1960 model. Does anyone know what engine this model came with?
Old 13th July 2010, 00:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex RAP View Post
I recently came across a Chevrolet Apache 31 closed body van. Looks like a 1958-1960 model. Does anyone know what engine this model came with?

Picutres of the vehicle would help to answer your question, please do post them and I am sure gurus will be at your help.
Old 13th July 2010, 23:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In all probability, the van you saw does not have an engine. Probably it would be a 6 cylinder petrol engine. Whether you should buy it or not one must have an idea of condition and price. There is a good chance that it is 'buyable' because there are not too many around. But what is left of it?

Cheers harit
Old 14th July 2010, 15:57   #4
BHPian

some pix

the pictures of the vehicle, as found!!
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Apache 31 van-1cv31b.jpg  

Chevrolet Apache 31 van-1cv31a1.jpg  

Old 14th July 2010, 23:10   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Wow....!

What a nice piece

As per my knowledge, this chevy was sold as a Closed body and pickup during 1959-1963, and it came with a standard 3 ltr V8 Petrol engines.

Please share some more on this chevy.
Old 15th July 2010, 00:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Superb, a nice blue with off white wheels, the van would look awesome, body line is neat all the original stuff is there, its just the paint job is due this is a rare and complete existance, and in all respects it is a classic collection, I wish someday I get one of this kind and convert it into a family caravan. What if there is no engine who cares about it, we shall have some diesel engine (if not looking for a complete originality) and she can be an pleasurefull weekender caravan. Its fun going on a drive with family and kids on a saturday and come back on sunday.

Last edited by chanu : 15th July 2010 at 00:03.
Old 15th July 2010, 00:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a killer one, I would have gone for it. When Hot rodded she will look awesome. Even without engine .
Old 17th July 2010, 12:26   #8
BHPian

Rex, where did you see this vehicle? I am curious coz a hospital in my town had same vehicle with same colour used as ambulance. The vehicle was sold just few weeks back, and I came to know after the vehicle was taken away.

Interestingly, this vehicle seems to be ambulance. I wonder if this is the same vehicle.
Old 17th July 2010, 13:04   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Wow....!

What a nice piece

As per my knowledge, this chevy was sold as a Closed body and pickup during 1959-1963, and it came with a standard 3 ltr V8 Petrol engines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
I wish someday I get one of this kind and convert it into a family caravan. What if there is no engine who cares about it, we shall have some diesel engine (if not looking for a complete originality) and she can be an pleasurefull weekender caravan. Its fun going on a drive with family and kids on a saturday and come back on sunday.
Incidentally, I had heard that NT Rama Rao, the yesteryears telugu movie star and former CM of AP had a Chevrolet 'van' among his fleet of cars, which lay sitting neglected for a long time. He then got it out, plonked a Diesel into it, and modified it extensively to resemble a swan-faced(?) ratha (chariot) with a room inside for him to rest while he toured around the city in it during his political campaigns.
'never got to see it though, I wonder if it looked something like this. Maybe it was for all we know. No idea what happened to it after his death though.
Old 17th July 2010, 13:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Good reference Shyam! The same van of NTR's was used exclusively for his campaign and was driven by non other than his second son Harikrishna and was believed that his son never used to allowe anyone else to drive it . I guess the vehicle is safe by with his family as it was NTR's fav.

BTW is this van brought by someone or is still out for sale to be brought by someone, by looking at the pic it seems to be at a scrap yard or some metal junk yard.
Old 17th July 2010, 14:48   #11
BHPian

@Jayant: same one. @chanu, i picked it up couple of days back, after dithering for a while whether I should or should not. Someone picked up the original hubcaps before me :(
Old 17th July 2010, 14:50   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Incidentally, I had heard that NT Rama Rao, the yesteryears telugu movie star and former CM of AP had a Chevrolet 'van' among his fleet of cars,
'never got to see it though, I wonder if it looked something like this. Maybe it was for all we know. No idea what happened to it after his death though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Good reference Shyam! The same van of NTR's was used exclusively for his campaign and was driven by non other than his second son Harikrishna and was believed that his son never used to allowe anyone else to drive it . I guess the vehicle is safe by with his family as it was NTR's fav.
Correction! 'turns out I assumed wrong- NTR's 'chaitanya ratham' turned out to be a much older model, a 40s one, green in colour.

Here it is mentioned to be a pick-up truck:

N. T. Rama Rao, 72, Is Dead - Star Status Infused His Politics - Obituary; Biography - NYTimes.com

Last edited by Stanher : 17th July 2010 at 14:57.
Old 17th July 2010, 16:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good substance, lying among scrap in a yard or factory compound. Worth picking. Are books in order? You should be able to get a Chevy 6 cylinder engine.

Cheers harit
Old 18th July 2010, 09:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
@Jayant: same one. @chanu, i picked it up couple of days back, after dithering for a while whether I should or should not. Someone picked up the original hubcaps before me :(
Rex, this vehicle was donated by A P Mission Trust to the hospital in my town,alongwith lot of other medical equipments. Sadly very few things are left now. This Chevvy is the last visible thing of the bygone era.

I have many fond and sad memories attached with this ambulance. I remember it was only left hand drive vehicle in our town and as a kid I was fascinated by the size and looks of this Chevvy. If you are going to resore this vehicle, please post the progress regularly.
Old 18th July 2010, 10:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase Rex RAP time to add a new name to the MY CAR section of your profile. Do post some more snaps of the van and share your plans regarding its revival.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks