Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 09:05   #1
BHPian

1968 Fiat Delight 1100/D - MYM 7699

I grew up riding in a Super Select and it was also the car I learnt driving in! I have been trying to trace our old car for some time now! Owning a good Fiat has always been a desire . I came across this car in Mysore and just could not let it go! Now I am the owner and I drove it from Mysore to Bangalore in good time!

I have noticed "not so original" stuff on my car but I am not an expert !!! I invite all the Gurus and Experts to express their views and reflect on the car. I am hoping that I will get the assistance to source and bring the car closest to its originality.
Attached Thumbnails
1968 Fiat Delight 1100/D - MYM 7699-f-view.jpg  

1968 Fiat Delight 1100/D - MYM 7699-fls-view.jpg  

1968 Fiat Delight 1100/D - MYM 7699-engine-compartment.jpg  

1968 Fiat Delight 1100/D - MYM 7699-iclut.jpg  

1968 Fiat Delight 1100/D - MYM 7699-id-plate.jpg  

1968 Fiat Delight 1100/D - MYM 7699-id-plate-c.jpg  

1968 Fiat Delight 1100/D - MYM 7699-om.jpg  

1968 Fiat Delight 1100/D - MYM 7699-r-view.jpg  

1968 Fiat Delight 1100/D - MYM 7699-rrs-view.jpg  

1968 Fiat Delight 1100/D - MYM 7699-ww-m.jpg  

Last edited by .anshuman : 16th September 2010 at 21:33. Reason: Edited post to remove a typo.
Old 15th September 2010, 09:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Lovely car, maintained superbly. There are unoriginal stuff in and around the car, but that can be easily corrected if you want to or else you can drive like that. Con you post the pictures of wheel caps, are those with fiat logo??
Old 15th September 2010, 09:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Lovely car, maintained superbly. There are unoriginal stuff in and around the car, but that can be easily corrected if you want to or else you can drive like that. Con you post the pictures of wheel caps, are those with fiat logo??
Yes Manish, the engine and the body is very nice. I would want to bring it as close to stock as possible. The wheel caps are not with the logo!
Attached Thumbnails
1968 Fiat Delight 1100/D - MYM 7699-wc.jpg  

Old 15th September 2010, 09:58   #4
BHPian

1968 Delight Fiat 1100

Hi Srivathsa Satya,
You got a lovely '68 delight there.

Bodyline looks clean and in general you have the OH REE G NAL fittings like Quarter glasses, Bumpers, Speedo, Windshield rubber st. steel Pattis, Horn button, dicky Badge etc. Those Period thin white walls are still on and look great. They are extinct now. Do preserve them for as long as you can. Hope you have some good indoor parking.

You now only have to source the period aluminium show fittings and lights like side pattis, grill, wheel caps and Side indicators, Tail and number plate lights. Also try to change the front parking light lenses to the PERIOD white ones. They are still available from Sweet Trade. I would say just pick up and stock a dozen of them as they are breakable items and will be handy in the future, to keep the car looking fresh. Also the Tail light lenses are still available from Sweet Trade and the same goes for them regarding stocking up.
BESHT of luck and welcome to the proud FIAT Owners group in India.

Regards,
Rony
Old 15th September 2010, 10:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
You now only have to source the period aluminium show fittings and lights like side pattis, grill, wheel caps and Side indicators, Tail and number plate lights. Also try to change the front parking light lenses to the PERIOD white ones. They are still available from Sweet Trade.
Congrats Vathsa! One decent fiat you got there!

As Rony has mentioned the non-original parts already, I might suggest you take the help of your friendly local FCB gang as they have all these parts in multiples!

Poor chaps are fitting them all over their padminis/S1s, not knowing what to do with them....its time you relieved them of the burden!

In case it doesnt work out, I have an OHH REE GEE NAL aluminum delight grille that you can have. Also a nearly complete set of side-pattis. I might have one numberplate light too.
Old 15th September 2010, 10:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Srivathsa_Satya ji very clean and 80% original delight you have got. Congratulations on the acquisition. Its a Delight to see the instruction book intact after all these yrs. Regarding the originality,as President guruji pointed out many hard to find items are intact. Though the car has been repainted it still looks factory fresh. The chassis plate must have been removed in the said process thats why its been screwed rather than riveted. The wiper motor is also from a later model, and those wheel caps are a good thought on those rims. That period reg. plate adds more classic feel to the car.
Do enjoy driving her and share your delightful experiences with us.

Happy Fiating
Old 15th September 2010, 11:19   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Srivathsa Satya - that's a nice car you have purchased, please keep it carefully forever. I doubt that it is of 1968 model because I had 2 1968 Fiat cars MRC6903 with chassis number 014620 and MRC6621 with chassis number 013898. As your car has chassis number 019811, it may be a 1969 / 70 model. Please recheck your records.

Following parts are original:
Both bumpers, except the center bracket on the front bumper / radiator / instrument cluster console / instrument cluster aluminium plate, 4 jewel lights and speedometer / steering wheel / horn button / quarter windows / dicky lock / FIAT1100D monogram / center console with choke knob.

Following parts are not original as equipped on a Fiat 1100 Delight:
Grille / front side lights / side signal lights / number plate lights / headlights / headlight rings / side pattis / front and rear windshield glass rubbers with aluminium mouldings / seat covers / ammeter and fuel guage / ashtray (it used to be chromed) / outside door handles (they used to have a dull finish) / spark plug wires (they used to be green in colour) / fuel filter in the petrol line (no filter was provided) / routing of battery positive cable (it used to be on the chassis) / battery negative cable position and mounting on the body (it used to be a strap mounted behind the battery) / battery assembly (it used to be LH positive) / wiper motor (it used to be link operated in 1968) / wiper arms and blades (it used to be nut type fitting in 1968, wiper arms are fitted in reverse order, RH is supposed to be longer than LH in 1968 / wheel rims (it used to be clip type wheel rims upto 1968) / wheel caps / antenna (no antenna was provided in 1968).

Please post detailed photographs of the engine compartment / interior / dicky to enable me to comment further.

Dear Samsag12 - the chassis plate was screwed on in 1968. The screws as seen in the photograph are original.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 15th September 2010, 11:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Oh I see those wheel caps are not original. Now let me give you insight on parts avalibility.

1. Original meters - Are availble in Gujari, I see one of yours is non original.

2. The white Park light lens - Available at Jadsons, you can have them easily.

3. The door handels, should be aluminium - I saw them at Jadsons (actually at his huge parts godown at his home). You can have them if he agrees to take you home.

4. Aluminium tail light, aluminum number plate light and aluminium trims really hard to find. I am also looking for the aluminium tail light. If shyam is giving to you nothing better than that.

5. Side repeator lights were there with mubarak meter works in gujari (aluminium body with orange lens). Please ask him, but he is costly.

P.S. The Bangy guys did had access to plenty of grils from delight but that's all, other stuff like lights and trims were only one set. For grill you can contact Arun if he has one, else Shyam is the source.

5. For wheel caps, look in gujari, ask arun if he has spare.

6. Aluminium window winding handles and inside door opening handels are hard to find if you dont have them. live with the current one, keep looking in gujari.

Last edited by manishalive : 15th September 2010 at 11:43.
Old 15th September 2010, 11:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and Welcome to FCB!

The following parts are available in Shivajinagar Gujiri:

1. Aluminum grill: Meet Ghee Basha.
2. Side signal lights: Mubarak Meter works.
3. White parking light lenses: Bade Bhai.
4. Mechanical Parts: Nadeem.

For the SAKE of originality just fit these parts. Till you find rest of the parts JUST ENJOY THE FIAT!

Also a NOTE from FCB: Many of the parts collection I, Arun, Suji and Karthik MB have are purely for personal use. It is not really to trade or sell to FCBians or anyone else. We really dont get into buy/sell of parts or the cars themselves. So, please dont really ask any of the FCBians for the parts they are having. All we can do is, point you in the right direction where to look for.

Last edited by funkykar : 15th September 2010 at 11:48.
Old 15th September 2010, 11:56   #10
BHPian

Wow thats a lovely Delight! You are really lucky to find such a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Also a NOTE from FCB: Many of the parts collection I, Arun, Suji and Karthik MB have are purely for personal use.
I understand Makam. These parts just don't come by. These guys used to literally go two times a day(early morning and late night) to gujiri just to save some parts. But I guess its all stopped cos of their personal commitments.

So if somebody want some classic parts follow the FCB route of finding parts! You will be more satisfied then.

P.S: Till now I have not been to gujiri even once. Hope Arun or Makam takes me there once!
Old 15th September 2010, 12:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

I agree Chethan! We have slogged hard to find ao many parts that we possess as of now. We have visited Gujari 100's of times and tipped so many guys who work there. Overall, it was a satisfying experience. Most of the parts were to fulfil our little dreams like for example, I liked the Delight grill and have put on my S1. Arun liked to Delight his PP and he did it. I too have a large cache of parts that I will be using on my S1 and some are reserved for my President MEO's restoration.

If you ask me or Arun, manage to find time and visit gujari frequently. Befriend some of the guys like Nadeem and Bade and also the guys who work for Nadeem. Tip them with 10/20 bucks everytime you visit (Arun's theory that work very well) and ask them to give a call when a desired type of Fiat/PP comes or ask them to keep the necessary parts aside and give you a call.

Chethan, I will surely take you there some time. I too am in desperate need of some NE parts for myself. I am so busy that last I visited gujari was atleast 45 days ago and last I visited my mechanic was atleast 60 days ago.

Last edited by funkykar : 15th September 2010 at 12:21.
Old 15th September 2010, 13:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Srivathsa.Indeed this is a very nice Delight.As manish suggested,if you can get athe original parts and fit them,the car will look stellar.
The body looks free from dents and rust and colour is amazingly fresh.I love the white colour of Fiat 1100s.
Old 15th September 2010, 13:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

And it would be wise if you start action on the reference given by myself, karthick and Shyam to get hold of the parts. And the remaining few especially the number plate and tail lights can be put on as and when found.
Old 15th September 2010, 17:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Srivasta,

A nice Fiat and am sure that you will in due course get her as original as possible.

All the best!

Srivasta - your car Regn # is MYM 7699 in the photos. I think there is a typo on the Thread Title as its showing MYM 7669. Its confusing as I was looking all over for 7699

Please ask the Mods to correct this if you so wish. Not that it really matters though!

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe
Old 15th September 2010, 19:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Hi Srivathsa Satya,
You got a lovely '68 delight there.

BESHT of luck and welcome to the proud FIAT Owners group in India.

Regards,
Rony
Thanks Rony for the inputs . My plan is to bring the car back, closest to ORIGINAL. Please PM me the contacts for Sweet Trade and any other contact you may have in Mumbai. I will enquire from here and will try and pick up some things while I am in Mumbai on 28th of this month. I will have a covered parking up very shortly. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Congrats Vathsa! One decent fiat you got there!

As Rony has mentioned the non-original parts already,

Also a nearly complete set of side-pattis. I might have one numberplate light too.
Thanks Shyam

I have sent messages to Arun & Sujit at FCB and will get in touch with them shortly! I will surely request their assistance. Please save all the stuff you have just in case I fall short of sourcing some items here
&
Thanks a TON !!!

Most Viewed