Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2010, 23:55   #1

1966 Ferrari 275 GTB/C (S/N 9085)

Gentlemen,

I'm a newbie to the group, so forgive if I fumble a couple.

I am currently trying to research the 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB/C (S/N 9085).

This alloy competition was first sold to a Dr Ros (possibly Roos?), who was getting his medical degree in Italy, when he bought the car. Upon getting his degree, he returned (with the car) home to (then) Bombay. Apparently, there is a fairly famous picture of the car leaving the ship on an ox cart. Have never seen the picture. Anybody?

Secondly, according to Ferrari collector Brandon Wang, the car was raced in India. Any idea as to if and where it raced?

I believe, upon the death of Dr. Ros (Roos?), his son sold the car to Europe C.mid-1980's.

Does anyone have pictures of the car while in India? Racing history? More details and provenance? The son's name? Who he sold it to?

The car is currently owned by Anil Thadani in the UK.

Many thanks!!

Cheers,

Mark Ketcham
Mark Ketcham
Tel: + 707.395.0700
Fax: + 707.395.0707
Email: Mark@KetchamImports.com
Ketcham Imports Home - Collector Sports Cars, Ferrari, Maserati, Talbot Lago (Car Collection)
Email: Mark@KetchamEstate.com
www.KetchamEstate.com (Winery)

"Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves"
~Dorothy Parker
Mark K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2010, 10:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Last years autocar annual issue had several pictures of Dr Rossi and his Ferrari at the Madras track. I dont have the issue anymore but I am sure someone else can help.
Old 18th November 2010, 11:16   #3
BaldOwl

Some here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1035586

Old 20th November 2010, 15:19   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
I am currently trying to research the 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB/C (S/N 9085).

This alloy competition was first sold to a Dr Ros (possibly Roos?), who was getting his medical degree in Italy, when he bought the car. Upon getting his degree, he returned (with the car) home to (then) Bombay. Apparently, there is a fairly famous picture of the car leaving the ship on an ox cart. Have never seen the picture. Anybody?

Secondly, according to Ferrari collector Brandon Wang, the car was raced in India. Any idea as to if and where it raced?

The car is currently owned by Anil Thadani in the UK.
Hi Mark, thanks for stopping by.

This is a well known car amongst veterans in this circle, I'm afraid I'm too young to give you any first hand accounts. The gent who owned it I think was a Dr. Cessare (?) Rossi (?). A celebrated personality, he raced this and other Italian sports cars back in the day in India including an Alfa Romeo.

This particular car was raced (probably more than once) at Sholavaram in Madras, South India, and maybe more placed too. The car was maintained by the legendary late Aderbad K Setna of Apex Motors, Bombay, who had many fond memories to share with me about his experiences with Dr. R and the car. The car had at one race had a very bad crash, and was expertly rebuilt by him.

Now I think there was one more Ferrari also owned by an Italian, and also had a similar name. I hope I haven't mixed the two up.

Over to the stalwarts on the forum who I know can straighten out a few facts.

Other than that I suggest you write into the following people for more light on the subject
  • Autocar India magazine - Hormazd Sorabjee
  • Zigwheels magazine - Adil Jal Darukhanawala
  • Madras Motor Sports Club
Cheers, and do share your findings with us on this and any other cars of interest with an Indian connection that you may come across.

PS - I now recall reading about Mr. Thadani having participated in some events in Europe in the car, though I didn't know it was this particular car.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2010, 15:40   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Karlos - Dr Cesare Rossi - you are right. An Italian gentleman - indeed he did use and race several classics those days including the Alfa Romeo and several others. I ve read about him in some Auto Magazine.

For reference you might want to add in Mr Tutu Dhawan also who is one of the doyens amongst Indian Automobile Aficionados.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The gent who owned it I think was a Dr. Cessare (?) Rossi (?). A celebrated personality, he raced this and other Italian sports cars back in the day in India including an Alfa Romeo.

Other than that I suggest you write into the following people for more light on the subject
  • Autocar India magazine - Hormazd Sorabjee
  • Zigwheels magazine - Adil Jal Darukhanawala
  • Madras Motor Sports Club
Old 20th November 2010, 17:50   #6
Team-BHP Support

some more here

RED INDIANS: FERRARIS IN INDIA
Old 21st November 2010, 13:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its great to hear about the current whereabouts of this amazing 275 GTB/C.

This was one of six competition 275 GTB's built with th lightweight alloy body, hense the275 GTB/C nomenclature.

Dr. Rossi was known ot have raced it extensively all over the country including Sholavaram and Calcutta. It was known to have had one real bad shut while it was being raced and was put back in shape in Mumbai.

The last I had hear was that it had been sold and as in a Japanese collection.

It is great to hear that it is now again owned by someone with Indian connections.

request you to please post some current pictures of it.

This car was featured in an article by Manvendra Singh in Indian Auto Journal way back along with three other Ferrari's that were known to be around then, this is the late eighties.

The other three were the Black 365 that then belonged to Adi Dubash in Mumbai, the red 365 in Delhi and the red 308 that had appeared in ads as "PAT 1" with Pataudi.

Would love to hear what appened to these three ones too.

Last edited by wasif : 21st November 2010 at 13:24.
Old 21st November 2010, 17:23   #8
BHPian

It was Ferrari 400i in Delhi , last saw it a few years back near Khan Market , it used to belong to a Italian Diplomat (not Dr Rossi ) and was gifted to the guy who used to maintain it when the diplomat went back.
Old 21st November 2010, 20:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
It was Ferrari 400i in Delhi , last saw it a few years back near Khan Market , it used to belong to a Italian Diplomat (not Dr Rossi ) and was gifted to the guy who used to maintain it when the diplomat went back.

Yes that is the car in Delhi I was speaking of ...it been a while since I read that article and I mentioned 365 in Delhi instead of 400.
Old 22nd November 2010, 10:02   #10

Gents,

Thank-you for your informative posts on the 275 GTB/C (#9085).

I also read the postings on indiacar.com, from the article "RED INDIANS - FERRARIS IN INDIA".

Mr. Manvendra Singh indicates #9085 was brought to India by a "Dr. Ross, a very high ranking Italian diplomat stationed in Delhi".

He further states that the car then passed into the hands of Dr Cesare Rossi, who raced the car in numerous venues in India.

Questions:
1) Any possibility that Dr. Ross and Dr. Cesare Rossi are one and the same? I wouldn't think those are common names in India.

2) Is Mr. Manvendra Singh still around and how might I contact him? I would love to have some things about the car clarified.

3) Does anyone have a list of the venues, finishes, and dates that Dr. Cesare Rossi raced the car?

4) Does anyone know the name of Dr. Cesare Rossi's son?

5) As a newbie to this forum, did I post this to the correct section to get the best traction?

fwiw, in my original ownership provenance #9085, I had the car being delivered new in Italy to a "Dr. Ros", who was studying medicine in Italy. He then shipped the car to India upon completion of his studies.

I would love to clarify the early ownership.

Ros vs. Ross vs. Rossi.

I will happily post my findings.

But, a few tidbits on the car:

• 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB/C "competition".
• Chassis #9085.
• Chassis Tipo: 590A (This was a special lightweight chassis)
• Engine #9085.
• Engine numero interno: ?
• Engine Tipo: Factory 213 Competizione dry sump engine (22 Quart).
Originally Built With a 9.3: 1 Compression Ratio
• Coachbuilder: Scaglietti.
• Bodywork: Scaglietti skinned the car in a super lightweight aluminium. It was constructed of .028 inch alloy, or abour half the thickness of the standard 275 GTB's.
• Color exterior: Red.
• Color interior: Black (imitation leather) with red carpets.

I will post the ownership provenance I have compiled, once I sort out the Ross/Rossi issue.

But, I can say that the car, after leaving India, #9085 went to Europe and was later sold to Mr. Kiyoshi Takihana in Japan in 1989 for $2M (USD). Then in 1994 to the USA for considerably less money.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2010, 10:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi.

I might not be able to sort out the early ownership issues for this car but it was certainly NOT imported by Dr Rossi of Mumbai. He was an avid car person and he owned this Ferrari and some other really nice cars in his times.

The Ferrari was bough by him from STC in an auction.

Now if the records state that the first owner was a Dr. Ross then its entirely some other person. Its interesting to hear the car was bought by a student, must have been from a family with good means as that car was not cheap when it was new.

Probably this first owner worked for the Italian Foreign Offices and was posted to India where he brought the car ? A person with that name couldn't have been of Indian origin anyway and be studying in Italy for sure.

Manvendra Singh is very much around and lives in Indore. His son is Mustangman here and you can send him a PM to initiate contact with his father.

Whatever happens please do keep us in the loop as we all would dearly love to hear more on this car and its history.

Also please post some current pictures too.
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
The other three were the Black 365 that then belonged to Adi Dubash in Mumbai
Sorry to correct you here but this perticular car you talk off was always Red and not black. The same car was displayed at the Auto Expo in Delhi years ago. I have also posted pictures of the car in the Ferrari's in India thread.
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Sorry to correct you here but this perticular car you talk off was always Red and not black. The same car was displayed at the Auto Expo in Delhi years ago. I have also posted pictures of the car in the Ferrari's in India thread.

Speedy.....the Dubash car WAS black in the late eighties. The auto India article had a picture of it in black and I have seen it myself, his wife was my moms cousin.

I am sure others can coroborate this too,

BTW love your avatar picture, is that a Fortuner you are off roading ? You should come to Abu Dhabi and we will go out in soem real off roaders and have a blast.

Last edited by wasif : 22nd November 2010 at 11:27.
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:10   #14
BHPian

yes Wasif Bhai ,the Dubash car was black. The article in IAJ has a color page with all the Ferrari"s on it , i will scan and post it today, Let me find it !
Old 25th November 2010, 11:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

We are all eagerly waiting for you to post current pics of this Ferrari....please oblige

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks