Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 13:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor

Jai its an absolute treat to eyes to see a car coming out like a star form such a sad condition. Thanks to the old lady who atlast decided to seel it to you folks, it's the love, passion and dedication only which makes standout of the common crowd. The best thing is the quality which went into these magnificant machines, I still wonder how the technology of that time is superior than the latest technologically advanced engines of today (in opinion efficient but not reliable).

Hat's off to your restoration, I appreciate it whole heartedly, please share the efforts how you sourced the front grille and other things worked on this beauty. I have a suggestion you could have retained the front and rear numberplates of that era, they can be dented and re assembled which will bring that extra originality and retro look, what do you say? ask the painter to trim the red paint on the monograms.

How was the old lady's feeling when she saw the car completed, I hope you must have freezed those moments, I also hope you have the old lady's pic along with your now restored car.

Last edited by chanu : 24th March 2011 at 13:48. Reason: added few lines
Old 24th March 2011, 14:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Superb restoration, good job jai!

I do remember you mentioning this car to me before. It does look scary with all the rust half-eaten the panels/bonnet! 'must have taken you a lot of pain to restore to this standard.

Any pics. taken during the resto?

Large American cars are not too easy to restore, although on the plus side, parts are far more easily available if from the US.

BTW, if I might ask, does the car's RC mention a previous regn. or only this one? Because MSP 891 is the regn. of a 1948 Hillman Minx that was owned by a gent I know (who also owned my '62 Companion at one point), so MSP 4050 must be much after that.
Old 24th March 2011, 18:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Well restored American beast!!,Hope it also runs great.
Old 24th March 2011, 19:07   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful job done Jai. The attention to detail is noteworthy. The car was so original with all the trims preserved. Every switch is original. Nothing on the dashboard seems to be post 1946!The badges are also very well done up after the decay these went through.
The rusting and non-use took their toll on the lovely car. But the restoration has been done by very good hands and with excellent superintendence.
Old 24th March 2011, 20:19   #20
BHPian

Thank you all for the compliments. It feels more nice to get such suggestions and replies from the Senior and Distinguished Tbhpians.

Pavan & Mbz180 : No I have not shown the car yet to the Old lady because I have some issues with the Fluid drive and more serious issues with the radiator. The engine gets really hot even after 5 mins of idling. Infact we had done long trial runs with the old leaking honey comb radiator and had absolutely no problems. But the day before the rally I had put a new radiator and thats when the heating issue had started. Anyway its been almost a month since the rally and either myself or the radiator guy have been busy to attend to it. I need to sort this out before I show the car to the previous owner.
Old 24th March 2011, 20:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thats a superb transformation Jai. Everything seems so synced and in line and level. Hats off to you and your brother for achieving this. The color itself seems too good, period.
For a car thats been off the road for nearly 35 years, its really hard to believe that almost all the cosmetic parts were intact barring the grill and door handles.
BTW really loved the old tin cans of the oil. Hope you have retained that for that period garage look.
Old 24th March 2011, 22:44   #22
BHPian

Jai,

Congrats on the wonderful job on the car.

The outcome is really commendable and very finely executed. The cars like these are dream cars for many of us out here and seeing an very well restored one itself is a such a great joy.

The restoration not doubt would have meant a lot of efforts on your part but the results are fantastic.

May I request you to please share any work in progress photos that you would have taken.

Thanks for sharing this.
Old 24th March 2011, 22:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Fabulous job Jai !!
The car is looking fantastic - period, yet glam ! This is one of those dream restos - finding a car left shut for 35 years, actually being able to acquire it, and then launching onto the (daunting) task of restoring..

I'm sure you must've thoroughly enjoyed the resto - in spite of the sweat and tears.

Please do post more pictures - engine bay etc, and those of the work while in progress.

Happy motoring !
Old 24th March 2011, 22:59   #24
Team-BHP Support

Superb job! would love to see the pictures from under the hood, rear seat, boot and some underbody too.

Congratulations and once again an excellent restoration!
Old 24th March 2011, 23:03   #25
Team-BHP Support

Excellent restoration - would have loved to see the step-by-step lost pictures.

Can you still get white-walled tyres in India? They look great on vintage cars. I know they're available from some manufacturers in the U.S.
Old 24th March 2011, 23:55   #26
BHPian

brilliant job on the resto. Btw can you tell me what kind of paint you used? was it nitro cellulose(also known as nc or duco) or was it polyurethane(2k paint)? I want to use nc for my contessa but am not sure if the finish would be good enough, but if youve used nc then thats what ill use
Old 25th March 2011, 00:48   #27
BHPian

I have heard restoration this and that and on seeing the before picture I thought this was going to be a shabby build, but the quality of the work you have done is simply amazing!! I wish I had ever had half the courage to take up something like that. Keep up the good work!!
Old 25th March 2011, 10:11   #28
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post

Can you still get white-walled tyres in India? They look great on vintage cars. I know they're available from some manufacturers in the U.S.
Yes you could get these tyres from some specific importers and would cost around minimum 15-18K per tyre.

The cheaper alternate as suggested by Karl is to paint the rims cream with black wall tyres.

Cheers
Old 25th March 2011, 10:50   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
The cheaper alternate as suggested by Karl is to paint the rims cream with black wall tyres.
Its not the rims themselves, but the trims. Most DPDC cars of the era had these 'disc trims', large plate like fittings which were painted cream and fitted around the hubcap. I think higher spec cars had them in chrome.

My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor-47.jpg
Old 25th March 2011, 21:19   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Its not the rims themselves, but the trims. Most DPDC cars of the era had these 'disc trims', large plate like fittings which were painted cream and fitted around the hubcap. I think higher spec cars had them in chrome.

Attachment 522793
This DKW too has similar white walls.
My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor-dsc06837.jpg

My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor-dsc06844.jpg

My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor-dsc06847.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks