Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 21:42   #46
BHPian

Re: My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor

Jai!

Excellent work. Pl. post more pics. Would love to drop in just to have a look! Hope your beauty may participate in the next Vintage Car Rally between Chennai and Puducherry!

Cheers

Solo
Old 14th April 2011, 18:09   #47
BHPian

Jai,

Excellent job. I am absolutely in love with the paint job done on this car. Also, I would love to see it in motion, can you post some video of this baby moving on the road?

Cheers,
Old 15th April 2011, 10:19   #48
BHPian

Fabulous job mate. Am sure the previous owner is waiting impatiently to do the temple drive. Good on you.

Ravi
Old 23rd December 2011, 20:03   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033
Here are the post restoration pics taken at a rally held in Chennai last month.
Nice shade may I know how you came across this. Wonderful result

Last edited by karlosdeville : 24th January 2012 at 16:20. Reason: Removing entire quote
Old 24th January 2012, 13:43   #50
BHPian

Excellent car and fine restoration. Just loved the shades pretty much. Would you mind please us with some more pictures of interiors.
Old 24th October 2013, 11:00   #51
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

An article had appear in The Hindu(1st July'13) on this car and the brothers Sri & Jai

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle4862779.ece

My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor-30dcmyprantique_c_1502222f.jpg

Photo credit to the article published by The Hindu

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th October 2013, 04:03   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
An article had appear in The Hindu(1st July'13) on this car and the brothers Sri & Jai http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle4862779.ece Photo credit to the article published by The Hindu Cheers KPS
Congratulations on completion of restoration of this nice car. I have followed the rebuild process earlier reported on these pages and even enquired about the
grill . It seems all problems have been solved and the car is on the road. I do recall that there was some problem rebuilding the transmission and the operation of
the fluid drive. Please enlighten us how that was solved and if the gears are shifting normally now without the engine revving too high and causing overheating.
This has indeed been a labor of love and you are to be praised for bringing this project to a successful completion.
Old 30th October 2013, 21:35   #53
Senior - BHPian

Yes! Even I am quite interested so as to know how the Fluid Drive system set working.

I presume the Fluid Drive system was mechanical?

Lastly, how many Carburettors does the car run on? What make are they? Carter, I presume.

Cheers!

Fintail/Heckflosse!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 30th October 2013 at 21:39.
Old 30th October 2013, 22:42   #54
BHPian

Chrysler Windsor came with a basic L-head 6 with a single Carburetor . Only the New Yorker came with a L-head 8 . Fluid drive was a semi-automatic in that you did not have to depress clutch each time you up-shifted or down-shifted. Only time you needed the clutch was from N to first . Remember these were three speed transmissions. The Fluid drive used a complex system of electrical and mechanical components and was not as easy to fix as a normal gear box. A photo of 1948 Chrysler New Yorker with the straight 8 two dr. coupe was found on Flipboard - isn't she a beauty ?
Attached Thumbnails
My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor-1948chryslernewyorker.jpg  

priyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 07:47   #55
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Yes! Even I am quite interested so as to know how the Fluid Drive system set working.
I presume the Fluid Drive system was mechanical?
Lastly, how many Carburettors does the car run on? What make are they? Carter, I presume.
Cheers!
Fintail/Heckflosse!
Here are the details of the fluid drive system

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2547798

There is only one carb, Carter of course

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 13:14   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
Chrysler Windsor came with a basic L-head 6 with a single Carburetor . Only the New Yorker came with a L-head 8.
The side valve 6 cyl was shared with many other Dodge, Plymouth and DeSoto cars I think, right up to 1957, though I think with varied power outputs.

I remember the head having bold SPITFIRE lettering on a friend's Windsor - though never saw it on later cars.
Old 31st October 2013, 13:43   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
Chrysler Windsor came with a basic L-head 6 with a single Carburetor . Only the New Yorker came with a L-head 8 . Fluid drive was a semi-automatic in that you did not have to depress clutch each time you up-shifted or down-shifted. Only time you needed the clutch was from N to first . Remember these were three speed transmissions. The Fluid drive used a complex system of electrical and mechanical components and was not as easy to fix as a normal gear box. A photo of 1948 Chrysler New Yorker with the straight 8 two dr. coupe was found on Flipboard - isn't she a beauty ?

Priyo,

I have owned/driven these cars, all had four forward, one reverse speed transmissions. You manually shift the lever upwards for selection of low( first gear), then depress the accelerator pedal when a seamless shift into second would happen, then manually shift the lever down for selection of high( third gear ) accelerate, then ease off, to again seamless shift to the fourth gear. If in either low or high you wanted to downshift say whilst overtaking, you floored the pedal which in turn manually activated an electical switch on the carb, which enabled the change. At times the switch on the carb malfunctioned, so I had a push button switch installed on the dash to enable the kickdown shift

The set of solenoids if in order , made this type of gear system easy to drive.

Fluid drive was in addition to this type of semi automatic transmissions. Some fluid drive models came with standard ( manual ) three forward, one reverse transmissions , but the semi automatics that I have over the years seen, have always had FOUR forward speeds.
Bulldogji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 15:33   #58
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The side valve 6 cyl was shared with many other Dodge, Plymouth and DeSoto cars I think, right up to 1957, though I think with varied power outputs.

I remember the head having bold SPITFIRE lettering on a friend's Windsor - though never saw it on later cars.
Here is proof of SPITFIRE, as seen in our car

My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor-dscn2274.jpg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 17:46   #59
Senior - BHPian

I am a bit puzzled about the engines in 1947 Chrysler (Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler) cars. There are 8 cylinder engines, no problem for those. But there may be two types of 6 cylinder engines, Spitfire and non-Spitfire? If I remember correctly, the DeSoto which I saw had a regular engine, a 7-seater which I saw has a Spitfire engine. Any comments?

Cheers harit
Old 10th November 2013, 11:14   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I am a bit puzzled about the engines in 1947 Chrysler (Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler) cars. There are 8 cylinder engines, no problem for those. But there may be two types of 6 cylinder engines, Spitfire and non-Spitfire? If I remember correctly, the DeSoto which I saw had a regular engine, a 7-seater which I saw has a Spitfire engine. Any comments? Cheers harit

Hullo Harit :
Some research on Chrysler engines resulted in a site that has so much information and photos that it is worth sharing . It also has a photo of the spitfire engine you mentioned.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/flat.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks