Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2011, 09:34   #1
BHPian
 
john a milne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto / Calcutta
Posts: 908
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Indian 1940 Mercury 4 dr convertibles

An old friend of mine, Bill Sherk, is trying to locate any of the very rare 1940 Mercury 4 door convertibles that were shipped to India; 10 to Bombay and 8 to Calcutta.

Bill writes a Vintage & Classic column that is carried by 36 newspapers.

Does anyone have any information?
john a milne is offline  
Old 9th August 2011, 12:33   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,027
Thanked: 3,155 Times
Default Re: Indian 1940 Mercury 4 dr convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
An old friend of mine, Bill Sherk, is trying to locate any of the very rare 1940 Mercury 4 door convertibles that were shipped to India; 10 to Bombay and 8 to Calcutta. Bill writes a Vintage & Classic column that is carried by 36 newspapers. Does anyone have any information?
Can you please put up some pictures, where these shipped from Canada?

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 12:48   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,814
Thanked: 1,953 Times
Default Re: Indian 1940 Mercury 4 dr convertibles

Is this the Model that is being referred

Thanks
Attached Images
 
kasli is offline  
Old 9th August 2011, 13:46   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,027
Thanked: 3,155 Times
Default Re: Indian 1940 Mercury 4 dr convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Is this the Model that is being referred Thanks
That is amazing, how quickly you found a picture of this model. Amazing power of google, which we all can do(actually I did that)
But, what I wanted to see was some material on the cars shipped to India. These google did not provide So the request was to John to put up some material about the cars which were sent to India.

Cheers harit
harit is offline  
Old 9th August 2011, 13:55   #5
BHPian
 
john a milne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto / Calcutta
Posts: 908
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Indian 1940 Mercury 4 dr convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Can you please put up some pictures, where these shipped from Canada?

Cheers harit
Will try and get some photos.
They were shipped from the Ford Canada in Windsor Ontario.
john a milne is offline  
Old 9th August 2011, 14:05   #6
BHPian
 
john a milne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto / Calcutta
Posts: 908
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Indian 1940 Mercury 4 dr convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Can you please put up some pictures, where these shipped from Canada?

Cheers harit

Here are some photos that I just found on the web.
Attached Images
      
john a milne is offline  
Old 10th August 2011, 07:57   #7
BHPian
 
john a milne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto / Calcutta
Posts: 908
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Indian 1940 Mercury 4 dr convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
That is amazing, how quickly you found a picture of this model. Amazing power of google, which we all can do(actually I did that)
But, what I wanted to see was some material on the cars shipped to India. These google did not provide So the request was to John to put up some material about the cars which were sent to India.

Cheers harit
I'll ask Bill if he can obtain any statistics about any cars Ford shipped to India.
john a milne is offline  
Old 10th August 2011, 20:43   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,957
Thanked: 395 Times
Default Re: Indian 1940 Mercury 4 dr convertibles

I recollect seeing one of these in a prominent collection in Chennai in early 2001
wasif is offline  
Old 10th August 2011, 21:15   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,814
Thanked: 1,953 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif
I recollect seeing one of these in a prominent collection in Chennai in early 2001
Please share as this is really interesting. .
kasli is offline  
Old 22nd October 2013, 16:29   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 10,171
Thanked: 11,331 Times
Default Re: Indian 1940 Mercury 4 dr convertibles

John, does your friend know of this Mercury?

Name:  mercury01.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  100.6 KB

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post3201361
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 21:28   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,957
Thanked: 395 Times
Default Re: Indian 1940 Mercury 4 dr convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Whats the staus on this ones sale ?

The pick up in the back is a stunner, would make a cool rat rod

PS John's friend is looking for the rare 4 door convertibel versions of the Mercury
wasif is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks