Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2012, 17:38   #1
BHPian

1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started

I bought this Morris 8 in October 2010 but since I was busy in restoring my Standard Herald all this while I could not start with it.
The car was a total mess I must admit, but when I saw it the first time i could sense some sort of bonding, later on my father told me that it was a similar car to what my uncle use to drive back in the 1950s. It has several severely rusted corners, NO pertrol tank, NO radiator, but otherwise it is complete to the core with all data plates intact, all original mongrams, original door handles etc etc. Overall I was happy to have it as I thought it would make for a good restoration project.
Finally, since the Standard Herald is on road now I have tightened my belt and started with the denting!! The car has been stripped down to raw metal.
Here are the pics from the first two days of denting work. Although it seems to be quite fast it isnt actually!! As a matter of fact the smaller details take much longer time than the rough work.
Attached Thumbnails
1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-img_0146.jpg  

1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-img_0147.jpg  

1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-img_0148.jpg  

1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-img_0149.jpg  

1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-img_0150.jpg  

1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-img_0151.jpg  

1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-img_0152.jpg  

1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-img_0153.jpg  

Old 28th January 2012, 18:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started

Nice to see a Morris being restored, looks to be quite rotten although it won't be too long for sure Nice project you got damasthebiker. Will be glued to this thread.

BTW is this a UP registered car ?
Old 28th January 2012, 22:24   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

A very challenging restoration job indeed for you! The car looks divested of many components.Being a once common car, I feel with some efforts you will be able to procure most of the original parts. The 1942 Morris 8 is quite rare. Most the ones were from the post WW II era.
Old 29th January 2012, 05:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

This restoration will be real hard work, most of the metal is rusted and eaten away, hence would be very interesting to see it happening.

I see there is no engine at all, are you going to put in a different engine or get the same one rebuild (Not sure how)?, I guess the same confusion would be about Gear Box?
Old 29th January 2012, 08:14   #5
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Wish you all the very best in the restoration. I do hope that you have collected all the necessary parts before you have started the work. I have seen cars in worse condition being restored.

Please use this beautifully restored car as a reference whilst doing the work. I am sure your eyes would have light up seeing the price quoted for this car. Please do not be distracted as you must keep focused on the restoration. You must this remember this is a mass produced car and is unlikely to command premium pricing, say that of a large American vintage, irrespective of the quality of restoration

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-.../Morris-8.html

1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-picture_40427.jpg
1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-picture_40428.jpg
1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-picture_40429.jpg
1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-picture_40430.jpg
1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-picture_40431.jpg
1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-picture_40448.jpg

Cheers

KPS
Old 30th January 2012, 11:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Nice to see a Morris being restored, looks to be quite rotten although it won't be too long for sure Nice project you got damasthebiker. Will be glued to this thread.

BTW is this a UP registered car ?
Thanks Mate, yes this a UP registered car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Wish you all the very best in the restoration. I do hope that you have collected all the necessary parts before you have started the work. I have seen cars in worse condition being restored.

Please use this beautifully restored car as a reference whilst doing the work. I am sure your eyes would have light up seeing the price quoted for this car. Please do not be distracted as you must keep focused on the restoration. You must this remember this is a mass produced car and is unlikely to command premium pricing, say that of a large American vintage, irrespective of the quality of restoration

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-.../Morris-8.html

Cheers

KPS
Dear KPS,

Thanks for pictures, the car is infact very well restored and I hope I will get close to it at the end. Please let the inputs coming in, all pictures, technical datas, details all are welcome. Your help will give this car a new life and hopefully a longer one this time!!

The parts are almost complete I need only few things like the headlights(complete assembly), Tail Lights, Side indicators(door center pillars), Front Grill, Radiator, Petrol tank, Horn switch assembley(on steering), Starting Handle(to start the car manually), front and rear bumpers will also help! - If anyone knows of these parts available anywhere I will be more than thankfull.

The prices do not distract me as I have no intention of selling it. I am a collector(mainly of vintage motorcycles) myself and would like to remain that ways.

regards

Last edited by GTO : 30th January 2012 at 14:52. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
damasthebiker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 15:08   #7
BHPian

Congratulations Demasthebiker, nice to hear about Morris 8 E restoration and would be happy to watch this thread, keep us posted as it restored.

I also have M8 E 1948, on slow paced restoration, delayed due to unreliable mechanics and painters, beside I had to do it only during my vacation time. Some parts were difficult to get but keep trying, I am also looking for front grill which is damaged and tried to fabricate but it was not to mark so it was discarded.

You did not mentioned about the condition of engine, gearbox, differential, etc. Petrol tank is round cylindrical you can fabricate if did not get. Tyres (4.50 x 17) were also not available easily, importing from Cookers,USA/Avon, UK were expensive till it reached India.

Wish you all the best and look forward to see your restoration.

Good luck & cheers!
Old 30th January 2012, 17:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I see there is no engine at all, are you going to put in a different engine or get the same one rebuild (Not sure how)?, I guess the same confusion would be about Gear Box?
The engine and the gearbox are with the mech for a complete overhaul. I shall post pics once I start working on them by the end of this week.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 30th January 2012 at 19:19. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 30th January 2012, 17:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

It was very nice of KPS to put up pictures for you for reference.
The most difficult part for you may be the headlights, these are oval and because they are difficult to come by a few cars have had them modified. I suggest that you make a list of parts and when people come across these they can help you.
Please do keep posting pictures, and work on the mechanicals as well.

Cheers harit
Old 30th January 2012, 18:00   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Congratulations Demasthebiker, nice to hear about Morris 8 E restoration and would be happy to watch this thread, keep us posted as it restored.

I also have M8 E 1948, on slow paced restoration, delayed due to unreliable mechanics and painters, beside I had to do it only during my vacation time. Some parts were difficult to get but keep trying, I am also looking for front grill which is damaged and tried to fabricate but it was not to mark so it was discarded.

You did not mentioned about the condition of engine, gearbox, differential, etc. Petrol tank is round cylindrical you can fabricate if did not get. Tyres (4.50 x 17) were also not available easily, importing from Cookers,USA/Avon, UK were expensive till it reached India.

Wish you all the best and look forward to see your restoration.

Good luck & cheers!
Hey, its great to know that I am not alone and you are also restoring a Morris 8.
It would be great if you could post some pics of your car and especially the petrol tank and radiator.
I havent started working on the engine, gearbox and differential as yet but I was told the car was in running condition(till the time it was discarded at the denters workshop by the previous owner about 25 years back), so it shouldnt be much complicated!!
I researched a bit about the tyres and the people quoted anywhere between Rs.8000 and Rs.9000 per tyre and tube(set).
Old 30th January 2012, 19:02   #11
BHPian

No problem, will post soon picture of petrol tank and radiator soon. Would be happy to share my experience during M8 restoration. Please make a list of items, what you need to repair and what is needed to replace.

Keep all the engine, parts, gearbox, differential, universal joint and gears inside the differential in safe place and attend mechanicals separately and body dential, repairs etc seprately. Remove the wooden dash, Smith meters carefully, monograms of Morris Oxford, chassis plate No. all of them you will find near the battery compartment all of them were important and difficult to acquire if lost during restoration.

Regards,
Old 1st February 2012, 16:22   #12
BHPian

Here are few pictures of the Engine, Gearbox, Horn, Self motor, Cut Out, Fuel Pump, Carburator and the front grill!!
Hopefully we will start working on the engine from Saturday onwards!
Attached Thumbnails
1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-img_0165.jpg  

1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-img_0166.jpg  

1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-img_0167.jpg  

1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-img_0168.jpg  

1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-img_0169.jpg  

1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-img_0171.jpg  

Old 1st February 2012, 17:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasthebiker View Post
Here are few pictures of the Engine, Gearbox, Horn, Self motor, Cut Out, Fuel Pump, Carburator and the front grill!!
Hopefully we will start working on the engine from Saturday onwards!
Looks like you have lot of work lying ahead.. All the best buddy.. Will be glued to your thread..

Priyadarshan
Old 2nd February 2012, 03:53   #14
BHPian

Glad to see you have all the important parts, will be interesting to see your engine, gearbox tune up, keep us posted. Meantime attaching pictures of radiator and petrol tank of my car.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-radiator.jpg  

1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-petrol_tank.jpg  

Old 2nd February 2012, 06:18   #15
BHPian

Congratulations on this project. You have quite some work ahead of you.

If you have a compressor, try getting a sand blaster. It is not expensive, but will cut down the cleaning to base metal job much faster and cleaner. I use and reuse sieved river sand which works quite well for me. Very useful too for cleaning the outsides of engine parts to get it gleaming.

Caution: protect your eyes, ears and nose. Use goggles or a face mask and cover yourself completely as there will be rebound of sand particles leaving you like 'Sandman'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks