Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2013, 18:44   #61

Re: 1925 Rolls Royce Phantom 1 @ Calcutta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrivardhan View Post
Dear Friends and Seniors,

Please advice me with the colour combination. Although the painting stage is very far away at the moment. I am still struggling with the coachwork, and its periferies. This is a dream restoration (ressurection), but the course is no less than a nightmare.

Everything looks is place, and the final denting has started. Mechanicals would be touched once the coachwork is ready. Post the coachwork, I would dismantle all the body parts in peaces and start the paintwork, samultaneously restoring the running chassis mechanically.

However, please keep suggesting the colour combination, keeping in mind that the top wooden portion , as you can see, would be polished.

If all goes well, this car should meet the roads by 2014 end..

Please keep suggesting and add value to this project..

Regards,

Shrivardhan.
Hello,

What a marvelous effort ! A dream project, indeed ! I would love to see the car some day !

As far as the choice of color goes, I feel a dark blue or black would go very well with the polished wood. I am enclosing photos of 2 Rolls Royce woodies in dark colors which, I feel, look magnificent !

All the best and keep up the wonderful work !

Warm regards
Parth
Attached Thumbnails
1925 Rolls Royce Phantom 1 @ Calcutta-1.jpg  

1925 Rolls Royce Phantom 1 @ Calcutta-2.jpg  

1925 Rolls Royce Phantom 1 @ Calcutta-3.jpg  

1925 Rolls Royce Phantom 1 @ Calcutta-4.jpg  

Old 15th December 2013, 22:36   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthmehd View Post
Hello,

What a marvelous effort ! A dream project, indeed ! I would love to see the car some day !

As far as the choice of color goes, I feel a dark blue or black would go very well with the polished wood. I am enclosing photos of 2 Rolls Royce woodies in dark colors which, I feel, look magnificent !

All the best and keep up the wonderful work !

Warm regards
Parth
Thank you so much Sir.
The pictures look lovely indeed. However, my paint work is 70 percent complete, and I have chosen the following scheme :
Naples yellow body and wheel disc covers.
Black fender and corresponding under body panels.
Emerald green Leather.
Walnut polished wood.
Electroplating in 'nickel', post copper coating.
Undercarriage in epoxy black.
Black hood canvas.
White wall tyres.

At the moment the car is in pieces, as each and every part has been dismantled for paint.

I am working on the mechanicals simultaneously and following is the status :
Front axle and hubs complete.
Steering complete.
All shock absorbers complete.
Differential and propeller shaft complete.
Gearbox complete.
Self and dynamo complete.
Auto vac complete.
Working on engine and its allied components.
Wiring not started.

Regards,
Shrivardhan.

Ps - you are most welcome to visit me anytime.
Old 18th November 2014, 23:56   #63
BHPian

What has been progress on the project ? Need any help?
Old 7th November 2017, 10:16   #64
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

The car was seen recently at the 8th drive of the Classic Drivers of Calcutta.

1925 Rolls Royce Phantom 1 @ Calcutta-image1.jpeg

1925 Rolls Royce Phantom 1 @ Calcutta-image2.jpeg

1925 Rolls Royce Phantom 1 @ Calcutta-image3.jpeg

1925 Rolls Royce Phantom 1 @ Calcutta-image4.jpeg

Great to see another successful project from the Kanoria stable. Congratulations Shrivardhan. Great job!

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 18:12   #65
BHPian

Hey everyone! I've had this thought in my head for quite a while now and wanted to get other peoples opinion on it as well.

What are your views of rebodying a car to a different body style from the original? Initially, I used to be completely against the idea of restoring a car to anything but its original coachwork. But with time, that view has changed quite a bit. Let us not forget that these 'coachbuilt' cars were made according to the tastes and preferences of the people who originally bought these cars. So, in the hand of new owners, who might prefer something according their own tastes and preferences, is it really a crime to alter the original coachwork?

I understand that no matter how much you do and try, an original is an original. But it doesn't take away from the fact that many rebodied cars actually turn out a lot prettier and more elegant than the originals. Yes, I agree that if you just rebody a car to a Saoutchick body, it doesn't make it one. But the fact that the people recreating it are doing it today without someone like Saoutchick telling you how to do it and showing you how its done only makes it a greater testament of their skill (especially in a place like India).

I see some cars such as Mr. Kanoria's Rolls or the ex-Nabha Bentley 4 1/4MX, and cant help but think they look better today than they did originally. And unless a car has been created on a completely different chassis, and substituting other parts, I find the use of the word 'replica' quite offensive (specially towards the people who have spent so much time creating a piece of art). Many pre-war cars that hold some incredible value today and look amazing, have been rebodied in the 40s-50s. So does that mean that this value is created with time?

Would love to hear your opinions on this. I remember reading somewhere where Henry Royce said, "I don't care about what bodies people put on their cars. What I care about is making sure every Rolls-Royce is engineered with the same level of quality and rolls out of the factory in exactly the same way. The body is the creation of the coachbuilder, but I make the car underneath it."

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks