Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2007, 09:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Is he willing to sell it?

Godfather
Unfortunately, no. I tried to buy this myself, but in vain. It's been over 3 months since this car has been touched. I've been trying to buy it from quite sometime but he is reluctant.
Old 11th May 2007, 21:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Unfortunately, no. I tried to buy this myself, but in vain. It's been over 3 months since this car has been touched. I've been trying to buy it from quite sometime but he is reluctant.

Hmmm..Thats bad bro..

Godfather
Old 11th May 2007, 23:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Like , how did you approach him ? we'd like to know & help you getting it. Exactly what did you tell him when you approached him ?
Old 12th May 2007, 00:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Like , how did you approach him ? we'd like to know & help you getting it. Exactly what did you tell him when you approached him ?
I'd met him a few times before in the same garage when he'd got his other car. After noticing this for a few weeks collecting dust, I told him how I love cars and keeping them at their best, so I asked him if he'd let me buy the car for an almost 'no bargain' price (Pretty much understood that it wouldn't be on the normal terms). I told him my idea of getting it intact (at least, the engine running) and keeping it more like a treasured vehicle. I had this in mind that he would never sell it someone who'd repaint it or tamper it, so I tried my best, but nothing worked. I had this discussion with one of my friends who bought a beetle a few months ago and he was surprised why someone would just throw this invaluable car in a corner - untouched, with inches of dust and still not be ready to sell it.

P.S: The owner has seen my Baleno Lxi '05 and Maruti 800 '97 in pristine order, so he should have no doubts about how I'd maintain the car. He probably thinks I have no experience in handling a vintage like this, which, of course IS true , but isn't there always a first time? I've given up on this!
Old 12th May 2007, 01:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

On the contrary, since you spoke about the car so seriously, i believe he thinks he can milk you for a lot higher price. You should not have shown any great interest. you should approach him as if you are only interested in parking it in your garage for cheap snob value & letting it rust.
Old 12th May 2007, 01:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
, i believe he thinks he can milk you for a lot higher price. You should not have shown any great interest. you should approach him as if you are only interested in parking it in your garage for cheap snob value & letting it rust.
i dont think so..... If he was looking for a price he would have atleast asked for a quote... and i dont see a mention anywhere regarding this..

Godfather
Old 12th May 2007, 01:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
i dont think so..... If he was looking for a price he would have atleast asked for a quote... and i dont see a mention anywhere regarding this..

Godfather
And that is exactly how you could get a much higher price, by not showing any intent to sell the damn thing.
Old 12th May 2007, 02:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And that is exactly how you could get a much higher price, by not showing any intent to sell the damn thing.
So, is there something I can do now? Like let one of my close friends try the scrap value, garage parking trick?
Old 12th May 2007, 12:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, ask someone to take some hard cash & bargain for a good price even without showing much interest in its charm.
Old 12th May 2007, 12:52   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, is there something I can do now? Like let one of my close friends try the scrap value, garage parking trick?
You could try that. Just make sure he doesnt know you two are hand-in-glove.

Destroying antiques like that should be made a crime.
Old 13th May 2007, 18:30   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Our vintage connoisseur Karlos_Deville will have a fit abt the Gypsy engine transplant
He's not our only vintage connoisseur, nor is he the only one who will have a fit about it!
My mech. told me he was once approached by a prof. here who claimed to have an Austin & wanted an engine transplant in it.....maybe with a similar engine.....and then of course there have been those intellectuals who've plonked diesel engines into otherwise original classics!

Last edited by Stanher : 13th May 2007 at 18:36.
Old 13th May 2007, 18:41   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
You could try that. Just make sure he doesnt know you two are hand-in-glove.

Destroying antiques like that should be made a crime.
Yup, too bad we dont have back-up (like the FBHVC in the UK) to work towards giving these cars a better home!
Old 13th May 2007, 18:51   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My friend google tells me that tt is a 1935 Hillman Twenty-70 Limousine.

Hillman Car Club of South Australia – Vehicle Gallery Index

or it could be the hillman minx here
It definitely is a Minx & no limousine......would be a post-war (mid-late 40s) model....
Old 13th May 2007, 23:48   #29
Senior - BHPian

I've decided I'll ask one of my friends to go about this deal. I'll keep you all posted about the developments. In the meanwhile, suggestions regarding the quotable price and other things are most welcome. As I already mentioned, I am no good with these vintages
Old 14th May 2007, 12:27   #30
BHPian

Dear Friend,
This is Hillman Minx 1938 to 1948, this is nice car and very rare, but it is very famous of its times. It is 10hp engine and 4 cyl.engine and this should car be preserved. It was produced by Rootes Group, Minx is famous brand it runs until 70's before Crysler took over Rootes. Try to buy it. every thing can be repairs if handled by experienced mechanics.
Regards,
VP5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks