Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2007, 08:47   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Nope I guess it'll be an all-bawa cuisine- akoori for b'fast, dhanshak for lunch, and I guess machi no-saas for dinner!

Car looks real good...but I wonder why all the weird graffiti on it.....looks like one of those Hippie's vehicles with the heart & flower designs! 'makes John Lennon's psychedelic painted rolls look like an artistic marvel!
it may be a desirably classic to us, but in the early sixties it was just an old car. it would not have sold for more than 2-3 thousand then, a late collector in delhi amassed most of his collection in that era, the most expensive rolls royce he bought then was for 5000!! plus, the V8 was just the basic Caddy.. not a nice one like the 12 or 16...
its like being given a mercedes 123 in europe today, and driving down to India in it.. i would plaster it with graffiti if i made such a trip.. wouldnt you?
oh, and john's yellow Phantom is indeed an artistic marvel!!

Last edited by awini : 15th November 2007 at 08:51.
Old 15th November 2007, 10:40   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
oh, and john's yellow Phantom is indeed an artistic marvel!!
Well I guess its a matter of relative opinion.....that paintwork did look kinda bling-bling to me...
Old 15th November 2007, 12:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Well I guess its a matter of relative opinion.....that paintwork did look kinda bling-bling to me...
absolutely,if you look it up close it really is a work of art.. much before BMW had their art cars!!
it was meant to be that way, it was basically done to mock rolls royce's nose in the air attitude, otherwise, his mercedes 600 LWB Pullman was quite plain, and it was also white as vanilla!!
Old 15th November 2007, 20:41   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
absolutely,if you look it up close it really is a work of art.. much before BMW had their art cars!!
it was meant to be that way, it was basically done to mock rolls royce's nose in the air attitude, otherwise, his mercedes 600 LWB Pullman was quite plain, and it was also white as vanilla!!
OT: That reminds me- JL also had a green(?) Austin Mini & a white (Triumph) Herald convertible, although some other beatles fan reckon that car belonged to George Martin, their sound recording engineer, and John just used it for a while...

Last edited by Stanher : 15th November 2007 at 20:42.
Old 15th November 2007, 23:11   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

John had plenty of cars over the years...his own, as well as borrowed, or rather gifted. Surprisingly one of his favourite ol' faithfuls was an ivory 123 Mercedes turbodeisel wagon!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 15th November 2007 at 23:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks