Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2008, 13:37   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhayanat View Post
I took some pictures of the midnight blue 25-30hp from Kanpur at the vintage car rally in Lucknow c.1966. It was entered by Mr. Hari Bhargava. Seeing the car moving through Hazratganj on a winter evening with the hood up was something to remember. Although I didn't take pictures of all the RRs in that rally and the one the year after, to the best of my recollection, they were the following: 1932 RR Phantom II Barker-bodied sedanca de ville entered by Mr. Prithipal Singh of Sitapur; 1930 RR Phantom II sedanca de ville entered by the Raja of Tirwa (the car is still in Lucknow); 1916 RR Silver Ghost (converted from armoured car configuration by French Motor Car. Co. of Calcutta) entered by the Singhanias of Kanpur; 1918 RR Silver Ghost saloon with an aluminium body also entered by the Singhanias.
Hello Chhayanat
This Gurney Nutting car is #GRO48 (it used to be red) and the blue one is #GRO59 (now a dark khaki green). The Singhanias' tourer is a 1920 model #102AE - it appears somewhere on this forum, with its characteristic slanting door lines and the saloon is a 1922 model, chassis #19KG, also on this forum, it's the red & black one with chrome strips on the front wings and triple bar bumpers. The Tirwa sdv is by Freestone & Webb, chassis #179GY, reg'd USA-134. I can't find a 1932 PII Barker sdv in India, have you got any other details that could help?
park-ward is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2008, 01:43   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
Hello Chhayanat
This Gurney Nutting car is #GRO48 (it used to be red) and the blue one is #GRO59 (now a dark khaki green). The Singhanias' tourer is a 1920 model #102AE - it appears somewhere on this forum, with its characteristic slanting door lines and the saloon is a 1922 model, chassis #19KG, also on this forum, it's the red & black one with chrome strips on the front wings and triple bar bumpers. The Tirwa sdv is by Freestone & Webb, chassis #179GY, reg'd USA-134. I can't find a 1932 PII Barker sdv in India, have you got any other details that could help?
Sorry I missed this post and the preceding one by Julian. If 102AE is a 1920 40-50, then the converted armoured car with the body by The French Motor Car. Co. of Calcutta is missing. It certainly existed. The USA portion of the registration in the Tirwa car can be seen in truncated form in my picture under RRs in India.
I did'nt take a picture of the black PII from Sitapur and my recollection of the year (1932) is from memory: this is the forty first year since I last saw it and I cannot be sure. You can see that another member at post no. 12 below has referred to it as well. I saw a picture of a very similar-looking car on the web and will post it if found, but I doubt if it is the same car.

As to the Gurney Nutting 25-30s, GRO48 used to be cream, then red, then maroon and is now cream again. I drove in a wedding procession behind it to Agra and back when it was cream and still owned by the Darbhanga family.
GRO59 can be seen in blue form in my picture under Gurney Nutting Creations in India.
Rolls Royces in India shows another Gurney Nutting 25-30 car with whitewall tires and wire wheels (US style) in a metallic sea green and in a sepia print (posts no. 130 and 131 by Travancore and Julian, respectively). Is this GRO59 repainted or another car? GRO59 did not have wire wheels when it was blue. Post no 12 below also refers to the blue car.
Gurney Nutting Creations in India (post no. 18) shows my picture of a cream Gurney Nutting 25-30 registered BRR (the old Dhanbad registration of the second owner). Is there any record of this car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks