Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2008, 21:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Do any other old bike enthusiasts agree?
I'm not an old bike enthusiast but i agree with you. There needs to be a separate section for Vintage and Classic bikes. It will keep the space uncluttered and will help others looking for a particular bike or thread or post.

Mods can we have a separate section for old bikes?
Old 2nd September 2008, 11:13   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Wow, a Harley Davidson car! That must be a rarity indeed.
Karl,

So Arjun owns a white one....who owns the yellow one that was restored by a mechanic named Sajid at mahim

Nigel
Old 4th September 2008, 21:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
I've just seen it now nice looking machine. Sorry to hear about your father, I do remember him in Delhi now. you certainly have some nice photographs and I look forward to seeing the Indian photos.

There ought to be a Pre and Post 1950 motorcycle section as the same problem happens in the motorcycle section, any early model posts just get totally lost amongst the modern bike posts. Just to find the Indian thread can take 10-15 minutes of searching. This doesn't encourage new contributions. We must request the mods to split the bike section into pre and post 1950 as I am sure they also want to encourage more pre 1950 posts now more people are scanning and wanting to post. Then this thread can be shifted to the motorcycle section. If a quick link to pre and post war bikes was placed on the title page of Vintage Cars & Classics in India (altered to say bikes as well) then it will be accessible which will encourage more interest and posts.

Do any other old bike enthusiasts agree?
I totally agree there Julian. Need a quick link to Pre & post war bikes on the title page. @ Mods - I have loads of pictures, but there is no dedicated bike forum.
Julian, I am unable to post pictures of the Indian as I am not able to find the link.
Old 4th September 2008, 22:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
I totally agree there Julian. Need a quick link to Pre & post war bikes on the title page. @ Mods - I have loads of pictures, but there is no dedicated bike forum.
Julian, I am unable to post pictures of the Indian as I am not able to find the link.
I found it!!!!
But only because there have been some posts otherwise I couldn't find it several times. Use the "search the forums"

Motorbikes - Page 2 - Team-BHP
Old 6th September 2008, 02:03   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A very early Harley with Harit.
Harit, I’m think your bike might be a Norton flat tank of around 1920.
The top fork yoke and links of the front forks have been incorrectly assembled. The yoke holding the fork spindle above the headstock needs to be reversed which will return the front fork to its correct rake angle. The upper rear fork spindle should be behind the headstock.

I think the frame rear down tube is bent, there is additional welding etc behind the head stock and the gearbox mounting has been messed with and the wheels are suspect, but it could be turned into a lovely Brooklands side valve racer replica. I maybe wrong about the year.

http://www.norton.uk.com/b1.JPG
http://www.norton.uk.com/b2.JPG

Click on this twice and it should enlarge
Harley Davidson's in India-1920ish-norton.jpg

Harley Davidson's in India-b1.jpg

Last edited by Julian UK : 6th September 2008 at 02:07.
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2008, 05:18   #36
BHPian

I agree with Julian. Indian was far superior in design and looks. Every time I see a Indian Chief, my mouth waters.
Old 10th September 2008, 12:50   #37
BHPian

Most of you would be aware of the jolly banter that went on between the Harley and Indian camps and these two most famous limericks:

Want some grief?
Buy an Indian Chief!
Want some more?
Buy an Indian Four!

You'll never wear out, the Indian Scout,
Or its brother, the Indian Chief.
They're built like rocks, to take hard knocks.
It's the Harleys that cause the grief!

Not difficult to guess which camp said which!
Old 8th December 2014, 09:11   #38
BHPian

Re: Harley Davidson's in India

The 1945 Indian Chief leaf spring (called a Chief patta kamani in Pakistan) and the 1949 Harley 45 shown here are alike in many ways yet different. In the Chief you lift your foot from the clutch pedal to get the bike moving, like in a car, while in the Harley its opposite with pressing down on the front ( toe to go) . First is full forward on both , with neutral 2nd and 3 rd towards the rider. Both use the Linkert carburetor with poor fuel float. Both have a wet ( static ) sumping problems, where if not ridden frequently, the oil from the oil reservoir ( in the right hand side of tank) goes down past the errant ball valve into the sump!
Other than this problem, both are very difficult to break and are tough well made motorcycles.
The Indian is very easy to ride and shift being perfectly balanced and having a long wheel base, which makes it look better then the Harley. Of course the valanced fenders help.

The Harley is agile and sounds different too. The Indian is steady and very comfortable docile motorcycle. For the money, the Harley 45 is the best deal as Indian Chiefs are very expensive if you can find one in this part of the world.

Since I have both, I would rather have the 1930 Indian 101 Scout over either of these.! It combines the best of both these motorcycles in one and stands up there with the Brough Superior and the Vincent Black Shadow.
Attached Thumbnails
Harley Davidson's in India-dsc00573.jpg  

Harley Davidson's in India-dsc00574.jpg  

shyml is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks